Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cakes

Options
  • 21-09-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am in the process of baking my Christmas cakes this evening. The smell of Christmas wafting around the house is divine! I hope they come out OK.

Anyone else have theirs done / plan on making them soon?

What recipe are you using? I use the Angela Nilsen recipe from BBC goodfood. It's not your typical heavy, boozy Christmas cake. It's more of a lighter version with a lovely spicy flavour - well recommended!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I was discussing this very event with my M-i-L earlier today & I recommended the Creole Christmas Cake from the Delia Christmas Book & also the Chocolate Fruitcake from Nigella. I think the fact that both are boiled appealed to her as an old fashioned type of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Hi all,

I am in the process of baking my Christmas cakes this evening. The smell of Christmas wafting around the house is divine! I hope they come out OK.

Anyone else have theirs done / plan on making them soon?

What recipe are you using? I use the Angela Nilsen recipe from BBC goodfood. It's not your typical heavy, boozy Christmas cake. It's more of a lighter version with a lovely spicy flavour - well recommended!

I sometimes think the smell of the Christmas cake baking is actually better than the eating of it! It's the anticipation of what's to come ;)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I don't make Christmas cake because we never eat it, but I've started buying the ingredients for my puddings so I'm gonna get started on them soon. Although I thought I would have them started by now. I use my mums recipe that she has from her home ec book from school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We use a recipe similar to this but we tweak the fruit to suit our tastes.

http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/irish-christmas/traditional-irish-christmas-cake/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

We use an old recipe of my Granny's. It's written in the back of an old faded address book, and has been for years. Should really write it down somewhere else before that one falls apart!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Alicat wrote: »
    We use an old recipe of my Granny's. It's written in the back of an old faded address book, and has been for years. Should really write it down somewhere else before that one falls apart!

Save it on a phone and an email account aswell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

ChewChew wrote: »
    I don't make Christmas cake because we never eat it, but I've started buying the ingredients for my puddings so I'm gonna get started on them soon. Although I thought I would have them started by now. I use my mums recipe that she has from her home ec book from school :D

Eek, if that book is the one with the brown cover, you're going to make me feel very old:(. I had one for home ec for my leaving cert in '91, in fairness though it was a good book:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

I use the Mertle Allen Christmas Fruitcake, with almond paste and white icing recipe. Lovely traditional christmas cake. Probably 70 years old. You'd never eat it any other time of the year but Christmas eve isn't Christmas Eve without a slice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ooh I do not like Christmas cake but I want to start some tradition with the kids and make one and I love pudding and someone always makes me one but would love to make our own.
    Any suggestions for the simplest easiest recipes are welcome..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Moonbeam, the Angela Nilsen recipe from bbc is fairly simple in my opinion, and it is not your typical heavy Christmas cake, so I wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Can anyone recommend a Christmas cake type recipe that doesn't include eggs, if that's even possible!

Advertisement