Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused about doing leaving cert or not

• 21-09-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

i left school at 16 without any junior cert or leaving and even went to youthreach but i eventually left that too because i got bullied there, i did absolutely nothing but sit at home all day on the computer and now i'm 21 years old and

i eventually found somewhere in my town that allowed early school leavers to do there junior cert but it was only 2 subjects maths and english, i got both C's on that and i was pleased but now i'm thinking of doing my leaving cert or not.
    i feel like my whole teenage life ive been confused about what to do about my education, i got bullied in school and everywhere else i went and it was hard for me to even attend the junior certificate course that was only 1 day a week, 2 subjects but the leaving cert is 2 years, 5 days a week and alot more subjects.
    i'm 21 years old and i dont want to continue wasting my life sitting in a class room just at the end of it to get a certificate on a piece of paper saying i got this and that grade to just then go get a job and work everyday for the rest of my life.

i'm really confused about what to do , i know the leaving certificate is important to have on your CV and because i have never had a job before, it would be a big bonus for my CV. my Cv is very blank, ive never done any volunteer work or had a real job before and the only thing i have on my CV is my junior cert results that's only 2 subjects.

i need some help :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would suggest you go and have a chat with your local Adult Education officer in your local ETB (used to be called VEC). They are there specifically for people in your exact circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Additionally you could look into Mature Student admissions (although you'd have to wait until you're 23) to universities. Do you have any idea what you'd like to do?

In the meanwhile, try filling out your CV - volunteer work, internships (likely unpaid) and even low skill jobs (cashier, retail), since it shows you're willing to work.

Advertisement