Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxes & Packaging

Options
  • 21-09-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My website will be going live soon. The products I will be selling would be classed in the lower or mid-range in this type of 'industry'.

The main concern I have at the moment is the cost of packaging. Some of the products will have to be bubble wrapped, others will have to be stuffed in their boxes with corrugated roll.

As aforementioned, due to the 'low' cost of my products, packaging is adding a significant percentage to the overall cost. Some of the products can be quite large. Other online retailers in the same industry would be selling higher-end goods where the packing costs would be a tiny percentage of the overall cost.

So, I'm looking for tips as to where to buy the cheapest boxes (I have searched online), either here or in the UK. Also any advice on how I could save on bubble wrap and corrugated rolls. Maybe old newspapers would suffice, but it may not look professional?

Here's what I paid (ex. VAT) for some boxes and packaging:

Double Walled Cardboard Box 457 x 457 x 305mm - Qty 15 €31.99
    Double Walled Cardboard Box 254 x 254 x 254mm - Qty 20 €14.99
    Double Walled Cardboard Box 305 x 229 x 229mm - A4 4 Ream Qty 100 €53.99
    Sealed Air Aircap EL Small Bubble 1200mm Wide Roll - 100m long €27.99
    Single Faced Corrugated Roll - 650mm x 75m €14.99

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Bubble & corrugated roll = www.discountpackaging.ie
    Best price is for 10 rolls 2m wide, but can be cut in up to 5 ways

Boxes - if you are going to be buying quantity, get them direct. packaging components in bray are well priced. Do you really need double wall?

A box I buy (quantity of 1000 at a time) 410 x 280 x 280, strong single wall, costs 45c each.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

sandin wrote: »
    Bubble & corrugated roll = www.discountpackaging.ie
    Best price is for 10 rolls 2m wide, but can be cut in up to 5 ways

Boxes - if you are going to be buying quantity, get them direct. packaging components in bray are well priced. Do you really need double wall?

A box I buy (quantity of 1000 at a time) 410 x 280 x 280, strong single wall, costs 45c each.

Thanks for the reply sandin.

Isn't the price of the corrugated roll still dearer than the price I paid? I wasn't required to buy 10+ either. I only paid €14.99.

Their bubble wrap is also much more expensive. I only paid €27.99 for a single roll.

Yes, I definitely need double walled boxes, due to the products I'm selling.

The more I research, the more I think my supplier is very competitive. I'll try to use the standard A4 size box as much as I can. Double Walled Cardboard Box 305 x 229 x 229mm - A4 4 Ream - Qty 100 €53.99. So just over 50c per box.

Apologies for the boring topic, but it's so important to keep costs to a minimum. This thread might help other eCommerce businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Any chance you could share with us where you bought it, only by sharing information can your thread help others. I go through about 20 large rolls of bubble a month, so if I can buy cheaper, it will be a big saving.

I don't use corrugated card & my boxes have to be a specific size.

No problem. http://www.nationalpackagingsupplies.com/

William, the owner, is very helpful. Free delivery over €99.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

For bigger packages I started using just the lager bubble wrap. I courier my products all over Ireland and beyond using a couple of layers of it and cling wrap with no problems.
    I give €50 for a 1.5m x 90m roll of large bubble. You have to arrange to have it collected yourself though from Trim Co Meath.

• Advertisement

lucky john wrote: »
    For bigger packages I started using just the lager bubble wrap. I courier my products all over Ireland and beyond using a couple of layers of it and cling wrap with no problems.
    I give €50 for a 1.5m x 90m roll of large bubble. You have to arrange to have it collected yourself though from Trim Co Meath.

Is that including VAT? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

That's double the price I'm paying.

Your sums might be wrong there.

He is selling a 1.5m x 93m long roll large bubble for €50. Even with vat thats €61.50
    The site you buy from is selling a 1.5m x 45m long roll large bubble for €49.18 all in.

lucky john wrote: »
    Your sums might be wrong there.

He is selling a 1.5m x 93m long roll large bubble for €50. Even with vat thats €61.50
    The site you buy from is selling a 1.5m x 45m long roll large bubble for €49.18 all in.

Cheers for that. I didn't realise it was 93m in length. Seems like a good deal then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement