Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UP MAYO!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Mickeroo wrote: »
    An here, drunk people getting sick on the street? That's a regular occurence in every town in the country. You don't need an all Ireland to be on to witness that sort of thing.

Ah its bad form though, I don't live in town but a Mayo lad had gotten sick in my local out the front and later on I saw two kids drippings there fingers in it a eating it. It's dangerous behaviour and selfish.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

:confused:

Maybe it's time to hand back that old Mod hat Yop.

lol, ya Stewie your right it is. Then what other mod would you go and question the decisions on the forum then.... ;)

And if you read the post again, you will see I didn't say Dubs are lowlifes, I said the Dub fan who spat down on the kids, women and men under him in the Cusack is.

yop wrote: »
    lol, ya Stewie your right it is. Then what other mod would you go and question the decisions on the forum then.... ;)

And if you read the post again, you will see I didn't say Dubs are lowlifes, I said the Dub fan who spat down on the kids, women and men under him in the Cusack is.

He's right Stew. You should apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Congrats to Mayo Minors

Hard luck for the Seniors -

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

nuac wrote: »
    Congrats to Mayo Minors

Hard luck for the Seniors -
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too bad for Mayo seniors, so close yet again.
    I was having a smoke outside a pub last night when some drunk jackeen in a Dub jersey came up to me and tried to be friendly. Turns out he just wanted to rub it in, going on about how the Dubs were the best team blah blah.
    They won by one fecking point but you'd swear he thought they won by ten.
    Then he started singing some soccer song - I just left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

didn't see any trouble up there but there were a number of local residents who decided to goad mayo supporters on their way home, imo bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

biko wrote: »
    Too bad for Mayo seniors, so close yet again.
    I was having a smoke outside a pub last night when some drunk jackeen in a Dub jersey came up to me and tried to be friendly. Turns out he just wanted to rub it in, going on about how the Dubs were the best team blah blah.
    They won by one fecking point but you'd swear he thought they won by ten.
    Then he started singing some soccer song - I just left.

Some new rule that says winning by one point is not really winning at all?? And yes they were close, I actually thought they were the better team for a lot of the match.

The GAA are the real winners in all of this. Greedy ****s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

He's right Stew. You should apologise.

TeddyTedson. I don't know why I love, you but I do. When the worlds is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TeddyTedson. I don't know why I love, you but I do. When the worlds is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.

So will we report that as a threat to TeddyTedson then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

So will we report that as a threat to TeddyTedson then?

You're the Moderator Yop. Do you need to report it?

In my opinion Yop, you are a clown.

But that's just my opinion.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

The GAA are the real winners in all of this. Greedy ****s!

GAA are always winners when the big matches are played but Mayo has not only lost a match but alot of money has been taken out of the local economy and spent in Dublin, a conservative estimate for the 3 matches, quarter, semi and final would I think be over 10 million euro and as we know the Dubs will never bring it back to Mayo.

signostic wrote: »
    GAA are always winners when the big matches are played but Mayo has not only lost a match but alot of money has been taken out of the local economy and spent in Dublin, a conservative estimate for the 3 matches, quarter, semi and final would I think be over 10 million euro and as we know the Dubs will never bring it back to Mayo.

Thats not technically true - your Enda pretty much rapes our salaries every week ;)

I did say to my OH at the weekend (we got stuck in Drumcondra on the way to airport) that they should have the final elsewhere sometimes. Ok ok I know they can't move Croagh Park but why not build another stadium? Boost for the construction industry? Other counties could then benefit from a boost also, and we'd all get a rest in Dublin!

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Thats not technically true - your Enda pretty much rapes our salaries every week ;)

I did say to my OH at the weekend (we got stuck in Drumcondra on the way to airport) that they should have the final elsewhere sometimes. Ok ok I know they can't move Croagh Park but why not build another stadium? Boost for the construction industry? Other counties could then benefit from a boost also, and we'd all get a rest in Dublin!

Just repairing what the Drumcondra mafia caused ;)

We would gratefully move Croke Park out of Dublin, would be less of the hassle and we wouldn't have a smashed window on our coach to fix.

Just repairing what the Drumcondra mafia caused ;)

We would gratefully move Croke Park out of Dublin, would be less of the hassle and we wouldn't have a smashed window on our coach to fix.

Wow, I knew the Mayo supporters were sore losers but vandalism is taking it too far dont you think? Well, I don't think you'll have to worry about smashed windows for...oh let's have a guess, maybe another 62 years? :P

ps you got me on the Drumcondra one well done :D

Wow, I knew the Mayo supporters were sore losers but vandalism is taking it too far dont you think? Well, I don't think you'll have to worry about smashed windows for...oh let's have a guess, maybe another 62 years? :P

ps you got me on the Drumcondra one well done :D

You need to listen to your username ;)

We will be back, we always do :D

Ah yes that old boardsie favourite - an insult based on the username. As predictable as your player's moves.

Looking forward to another match :D

Wasn't an insult, not the wink ;)

Wasn't an insult, note the wink ;)

News - a wink doesn't negate what goes before it. If it wasn't intended as an insult you wouldn't have said it. Bye bye :o

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

News - a wink doesn't negate what goes before it. If it wasn't intended as an insult you wouldn't have said it. Bye bye :o

actually Internet etiquette would say it does, though I prefer the :pac: face myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Can someone explain why the last free kick mayo got he put it over the bar?
    Surely a chip into the box would've given them a chance at a goal.
    They played well but I knew that Dublin going into second half losing would come back. They always do.
    Was nail biting towards the end

Mickeroo wrote: »
    actually Internet etiquette would say it does, though I prefer the :pac: face myself.

Then in that case the "it wasnt an insult" is also false, since that too was followed by a smiley - amazing isn't it... ;)

Can someone explain why the last free kick mayo got he put it over the bar?
    Surely a chip into the box would've given them a chance at a goal.
    They played well but I knew that Dublin going into second half losing would come back. They always do.
    Was nail biting towards the end

I actually thought Mayo were going to do it. They seemed to running rings around our lads in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I actually thought Mayo were going to do it. They seemed to running rings around our lads in the first half.

They were indeed but so did Kerry. And looked what happened to them.
    Any team out there worth their salt should know that if they give dublin an inch they'll go a mile.
    Once dublin got one point they keep going.
    Great dublin team again this year and long may it continue.
    Every county had their great unstoppable teams over the years. Dublin have it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Anyone know why Freeman was taken off?

Mayo lost because there was no plan B, with 10 mins to go they should have thrown AOS up to full forward to cause problems

As we can see your in the Mayo forum to glout and that isn't the sign of a good winner either.

As your username obviously states "notwise", we can see you are not.

As we can see your in the Mayo forum to glout and that isn't the sign of a good winner either.

As your username obviously states "notwise", we can see you are not.

:D

You're the Moderator Yop. Do you need to report it?

In my opinion Yop, you are a clown.

But that's just my opinion.
    :)

**MOD NOTE *** StewartGriffin banned for 1 week for personal abuse and backseat modding. Next ban will be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Conn Telegraph says that Freeman had flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

See this from here. The chap writes in the western I think. He's right too!

Mayo Football Is Alive and Well

mayoflag-wsob.jpg William Smith O'Brien sporting
    a Mayo flag yesterday
    If a team loses an evenly-matched game by a point, there’s no great mystery in it. The reality of the 2013 Final is that if Mayo caught or broke the next kickout after Cillian O’Connor kicked the final point of the game, thirty seconds would have been an age to either kick the equaliser or engineer a free. That’s all that Mayo lost by. A hop of a ball. Nothing else.

Would that have been fair on Dublin? No. It wouldn’t. Dublin were the better team over the seventy minutes and deserved their second All-Ireland in three years. Mayo got off to a flyer but didn’t score commensurate with their dominance. A very bad goal to give away brought Dublin back, and then Dublin had the upper hand for the rest of the game without ever really putting Mayo away. If Mayo had caught that last kickout, today’s narrative would be about how this is a different Mayo team and about Dublin’s failure to close it out against Mayo’s worst display of the year.

But that’s not what happened. Mayo didn’t field the final kickout and that was the end of them. Things could very easily have gone differently, and although Dublin deserved to win, that doesn’t mean that Mayo couldn’t have snatched a draw. Think of the events of 1996, when the shoe was on the other foot.

But this is only your correspondent’s opinion, of course. A quick flick through yesterday’s papers suggests a different analysis.

I have always, and will always, maintain [sic] that a team will not win an All-Ireland without a marquee forward.
    Eoin "The Bomber" Liston, Irish Independent.

But whereas last week I said to myself that if Mayo lost this final it would be a massive setback because they were so good and well prepared, I now feel that they are certainly capable of going further – but not unless they can unearth a forward or two that could be ranked in the top 10 [sic] in the country.
    Eugene McGee, Irish Independent.

Interesting, isn’t it? McGee isn’t always noted for his sympathy to Mayo, but the old buster is the only man for whom the penny has dropped about just how tantalisingly close Mayo were yesterday. Closer than even McGee himself realises.

McGee and the Bomber an the rest trot out this same old stuff about Mayo’s lack of quality forwards every year, each man going to stable to take out the same old hobbyhorses for a gallop around the paddock. These are the same people – well, except McGee; he’s always been very careful of letting Mayo support get big-headed – who’ve been telling us all summer long this is the new-model-Mayo, completely different from the one that went before. One game later, and it turns out to be same-old-Mayo all along.

But they can’t have it both ways. They can’t say that Alan Dillon has been the one shining light upfront for Mayo in ten years and then turn around and say Alan Dillon never had it. Alan Dillon just isn’t big time.

They can’t say that Mayo were crippled last year by the loss of Andy Moran and then say well, you know, Andy Moran has never been a top-ten forward.

The greatest mystery of all is that of Cillian O’Connor. Cillian O’Connor has racked up 6-22, an average of eight points a game to make him the top scorer in this year’s Championship, and then turn around and say that Mayo don’t have one marquee forward. If the top-scorer of the Championship isn’t a marquee forward, who in God’s holy name is?

The argument, insofar as an argument exists, is that many of O’Connor’s scores were put up against children of a lesser god; that is to say, that they were scored in the Connacht Championship.

You don’t see anyone holding their noses when James O’Donoghue scores 1-3 against mighty Tipperary or when Cork’s Daniel Goulding pops five points past hapless Limerick. Tipp and Limerick? Titans of football. Galway and Roscommon? Bums and makeweights. As for why O’Connor’s 3-4 against the All-Ireland Champions themselves doesn’t count, your correspondent really doesn’t know.

But it seems that football pundits just don’t care. When it comes to Mayo they are only interested in taking the hobbyhorse over the jumps rather than looking at what’s just happened.

If the Mayo full-forward line yesterday wore any jersey other than the green above the red, they would have been given the benefit of the doubt. People are second-guessing James Horan on his substitution of Alan Freeman, but look at the choice he had picking his team during the week.

Horan knows that there are issues with the form of the wing forwards, that Keith Higgins is marking a man who doesn’t need marking because he doesn’t attack and that Andy Moran and Cillian O’Connor are both walking wounded.

All of that is bad enough, but then the one man who is in form becomes ill during the week and there’s now a question mark over all six of the Mayo forwards. Every blessed one of them.

What could Horan do? He did the only thing he could. He danced with the ones who brung him, and hoped for the best. Is he given any credit for it? Does anybody say it’s a medical miracle that Cillian O’Connor played at all? Does anyone say that you can’t start a totally new inside line in the All-Ireland final of all games? That not even Kerry could do that?

No they don’t. Same old Mayo, they say. If Lee Harvey Oswald had been a Mayoman, JFK would be alive today. Ho ho ho. Giddy-up there, hobbyhorse.

Fair enough. It’s all only paper talk, after all. Perhaps the real proof of the pudding was in McHale Park last night, where eight thousand turned up to see the minors and seniors come home. That’s what football means in the County Mayo.

People are saying that Mayo will never come back from this. We all believe what we must but reader, if you are from outside Mayo think on this; any team with the two O’Sheas starting in midfield will have a fifty-fifty chance in every single game it plays, and the O’Sheas have a good few years in them yet. Mayo go away? Dream on. Mayo are only starting out.

FOCAL SCOIR: Best of luck to Dublin manager Jim Gavin in his attempt to become the fourth member of the Après Match team with his post-match comments about the referee on Sunday. This sort of zaniness is just what tickles the Irish funny bone. Roll on Brazil ’14!

Advertisement