Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post redirection service

Options
  • 21-09-2013 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Worked brilliantly. Don't know where it was coordinated from but didn't care as it just worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I used it for 6 months, and found it a great service. Not sure where the redirection is done from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

done from delivery office of your old address. In the pigeonhole that used be yours a pink docket is placed in there and is transferred to your new address

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭donna 182

I used it twice and it was great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Same here, found it an excellent service both times I've used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

yes, but note it is person specific, so if there are 2 people at the address with different names and both are moving, it will be 2 redirections.

If both have same family name, its one.

Single items of redirection have printed sticker over old address, multiple items are put in a clear envelope and forwarded on as a single item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I must be an exception, used it when we moved and found it brutal. To the extent that they refunded the fee after admitting they had totally failed. Post was still being delivered to old address and the stuff that was being redirected took a minimum of 6 weeks to get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

sandin wrote: »
    yes, but note it is person specific, so if there are 2 people at the address with different names and both are moving, it will be 2 redirections.

We are using this service now, find it works very well. For one fee, we have redirection from one address, three people, with two different second names.

Dont think the number of different names makes much difference, its the address thats important. Yes, room for 4x names on form, but maybe you can do more with additional an form... If a family of 4 can redirect for 1x fee, doesnt make sense that a family of 5 couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

When my family moved we found it fairly useless. Our old address got about 30% of our mail. So we asked our postman to get the letters directed to our new address, instead of "officially" paying an Post to do it( we moved within our Dublin post code) and a majority of our letters went to our new house. We found the An Post service expensive and pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Used this service - the redirection service worked well, but they completely ignored my request (tickbox on redirection request form) not to share my name & address with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Didn't work too well for me. some letters were lost, some went to the old address, some I had to pick up from the PO. it was few years back and they refunded me in full and started "investigation" after I filled in a complaint. Wouldn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This is an excellent service.

As stated pink docket left in your house slot on sorting frame with the stickers with your address on it. There is a warning sticker on each sheet of address stickers to Re-order. So only problem can be a postie does not re order in time and possibly something might get delivered to old address. Human error. It happens but not very often from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There was a case a few years ago when a husband re-directed his wife's mail - in an attempt to cover up the fact that he had actually murdered her. (I used to work for An Post by the way), but it was the error of the postman in forgetting to check the pink docket that actually convicted him. So even errors may result in justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    Didn't work too well for me. some letters were lost, some went to the old address, some I had to pick up from the PO. it was few years back and they refunded me in full and started "investigation" after I filled in a complaint. Wouldn't do it again.

By "investigation" they mean scribbled onto a piece of paper and fcuked into a filing cabinet never to be seen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

yup, never heard from them again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Sam Mac wrote: »
    By "investigation" they mean scribbled onto a piece of paper and fcuked into a filing cabinet never to be seen again.
    By investigation they mean it WILL be investigated. Basic errors like this are not acceptable in An Post. There was a time I will agree when things were "lax" but believe me not now.
    fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    yup, never heard from them again
    While An Post should have let you know the result maybe you have called them and asked what happened.

I find a lot of us make complaints but dont follow up to ensure something is done to prevent it happening again. Ah sure fck it and Im as guilty as a lot others in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

dilallio wrote: »
    Used this service - the redirection service worked well, but they completely ignored my request (tickbox on redirection request form) not to share my name & address with others.

They shared it internally with their TV licence section. There are 2 tickboxes on the redirection form. One tells them not to share your details externally while the other tells them not to share internally.

2 days after I started the service, I got a letter from the TV Licence Dept. addressed to my name with my mail redirection reference number immediately to the right of my name. The letter was addressed to the new address.

I had nor have no issue with paying a TV licence.

I complained to the Data Protection Commisioner who upheld my complaint.

Advertisement