Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA (Hons) Journalism - Independent colleges

Options
  • 21-09-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Anyone have experience with this college, Specifically the Hon Journalism course?

Because I'm a failure in life private colleges are my only route into 3rd level education. Journalism is all I want to do and is the only course I'm interested in. So, I've been looking at all the journalism courses in fee paying colleges and between Griffith, DBS and Independent colleges, Independent seems the best.
    The releationship they have with Independent news seems pretty beneficial and according to reviews, You have a massive portfolio and internship by the end of it.

However I can't seem to find any 1st person accounts of life and education in the college outside of clearly biased "please study with us" articles. I also can't seem to find anything on boards about the college, except for a few threads about the Law degree they offer (Which doesn't really open up any information).

So, Boards, Anybody got some good scoop on the college for me? Pros, Cons? Should I consider going for the course in DBS/Griffith instead? Are the degrees awarded by Independent colleges as valuable as they should be?

Also, Nearly totally unrelated question; How difficult is it to get into an journalism MA programme in somewhere like NUIG or UCD with a level 8 from IC/DBS/Griffith?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Decent college but they're not running the BA In Journalism this year due to lack of numbers.
    I've a diploma in sports journalism from the college.
    The Journalism degree is a good course. Plenty of work experience with the obvious links the college has really helping.
    Pros - Small Classes. Excellent contacts can be built up. work experience. Excellent lecturers
    Cons - course may not be as good as DIT journalism. small college not great facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 theretrochic

Did anyone ever look into this further? I'm now in the same position Doweallsee.

Advertisement