Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

087 top up voucher price increase

• 22-09-2013 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently purchased a €5 top up for an 087 mobile phone from a local shop and was not very happy to find that I was charged an extra 50cent ie €5.50. I have topped up many times before and this was the first time I have been hit by this increase. I am told that its not the phone companies price hike but an increased charge by the company providing the electronic payment service (not payzone) and will now apply to all top up vouchers.
    Can somebody tell the name of this payment company and apart from Payzone do they have a monopoly on this service.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I presume it's Postpoint.

Discussed on this thread over in Rip Off Ireland: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057030972

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Dont believe a word of it.

The phone companies ALL put up their prices on the very same day. A 5 euro topup now costs the shop about 5.10.

There is a large thread about it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi,
    I recently purchased a €5 top up for an 087 mobile phone from a local shop and was not very happy to find that I was charged an extra 50cent ie €5.50. I have topped up many times before and this was the first time I have been hit by this increase. I am told that its not the phone companies price hike but an increased charge by the company providing the electronic payment service (not payzone) and will now apply to all top up vouchers.
    Can somebody tell the name of this payment company and apart from Payzone do they have a monopoly on this service.

Thanks for reading.

Top up online or in a Vodafone store to avoid the extra charges.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You can also topup direct at some ATM's (depending on your bank) and most banks allow you to topup through online banking.

Usually I topup though online banking because its easier.

The shop usually pays a transaction charge/rental for terminal also

Mr. G wrote: »
    You can also topup direct at some ATM's (depending on your bank) and most banks allow you to topup through online banking.

Usually I topup though online banking because its easier.

The shop usually pays a transaction charge/rental for terminal also

But dont forget, and a lot of people do, if you topup online or at an ATM, you may end up paying a service charge as a transaction, to the bank (unless you have free banking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 dimal

But dont forget, and a lot of people do, if you topup online or at an ATM, you may end up paying a service charge as a transaction, to the bank (unless you have free banking)

The same with Meteor. And now I have two options - top up in Meteor shop with no surcharge or top up in any shop for extra 50 cents or top up online for 28 cents that I will be charged by BOI for a bank transaction.

Can you see the pattern here.

I admit I am a shopkeeper, so call me biased if you wish, but all the phone companies are just getting plain greedy, and are trying to screw everyone around them.

I cannot do it for nothing. The banks sure as hell wont, and it comes back to one source. The phone company.

Advertisement