Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

torrents in Ireland

Options
  • 22-09-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey all,

Im new in ireland and i wanted to download games with uttorent but still dont have idea about the law.is it ok to use it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

no and it is not permitted to talk about them here either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

no and it is not permitted to talk about them here either

Care to elaborate?

I just downloaded Black Mesa with uTorrent, clearly nothing illegal. In fact many free games are distributed mainly via torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Torqay wrote: »
    I just downloaded Black Mesa with uTorrent, clearly nothing illegal.

Amazing game! :D

We're allowed to discuss the idea of it...
    Users may discuss the impact of piracy, morality etc. It goes without saying user's should not link to sites associated with piracy, i.e: Warez Forums or Torrent sites.

... but posting links, saying where to get material or even saying that you pirated at some stage (that may just be the games forum) is not okay.

Torrents are not illegal and we are free to use it (the great technology that is is!) as we want for downloading of freeware/open software... (re-distribution/repackaging/re-selling may be against terms).

Proprietary software and games would be illegal to copy but you'd have to check the legal forum for that if you want specifics. Some ISPs have blocked by order some of the big sites for downloading here. I think some may even issue warning letters (Eircom iirc?) if you are detected or continue to download such materials.

Anyhow, digital games are very cheap these days if you keep your eyes open. It's well worth supporting developers of good games.

E.g., check out the humble bundle.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/

For $5, you can get 10 games. Trine 2 and limbo are really good. Brutal legend and Bastion are decent and I've heard a lot of good things about Fez and FTL which will be on my list soon.
    To be honest, I would place these games above the major releases that get so much attention advertising. Actually Trine 2 more beautiful that most big new releases so they haven't even got that going for them.

Also check out gog.com for more DRM free game. They have deals on now and again but every so often some major sales.

If you're happy enough to roll with DRM, check out cheapshark.com and isthereanydeal.com. Also if you want discs, head to find-game.co.uk

Finally, check out the list of freeware games and open source games. Probably a few duds in there, but some good ones too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware_games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_games

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Torqay wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

I just downloaded Black Mesa with uTorrent, clearly nothing illegal. In fact many free games are distributed mainly via torrents.
    Is that finally out now?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thread closed. OP Please review the charter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement