Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does paying for sharing/renting a house work ?

Options
  • 22-09-2013 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As the above question says how does paying for renting/sharing a house work ?

Lets take an hypothetical scenario where I will pay a months deposit and a month in advance on the 30th of this month.

My understanding is I just paid the rent for the month of october, so the next payment will be the 30th of October for that of November.

If this is so why must I pay in advance ? Cant I just pay at the end of the month for which the rent is due ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Hi guys,

As the above question says how does paying for renting/sharing a house work ?

Lets take an hypothetical scenario where I will pay a months deposit and a month in advance on the 30th of this month.

My understanding is I just paid the rent for the month of october, so the next payment will be the 30th of October for that of November.

If this is so why must I pay in advance ? Cant I just pay at the end of the month for which the rent is due ?

Because then you might leave without paying. The deposit is there for if you break stuff. The month in advance is so that you don't do a runner at the end of the month without paying. That's how renting works everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Renting is a service provided by the landlord and the standard way to pay rent in in advance - that is, you pay before you receive the service. This is the same in the UK, and certainly most countries in Europe, not to mention, probably most countries in the world.

It is really the same principle as paying for your flight before you go, your package holiday, your cruise, your car insurance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

And what if you feck off at the end of October and leave the house a mess? The security deposit will cover the rent for the month, but there's nothing left to cover any damage to the house. That's the way a landlord would view it.

Obviously if you're someone the landlord knows and trusts, they may agree to collect rent at the end of each month instead. But as a general rule, it's a months security deposit, and rent paid in advance each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

thanks fr the replies.

When is a good time to negotiate on the rent. when viewing the property ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Generally negotiate when viewing. Depending on where you are you might not have much joy at the moment!

• Advertisement
Advertisement