Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Computer Advice

Options
  • 22-09-2013 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for advice on a new computer/laptop for the parents. There 7/8 year old Dell PC has pretty much run it's course.

Their main use for this will be browsing the internet,sending emails, word and excel documents,saving pictures and my brother would have around 100gb of music which would be saved on the computer.

They still have a 3 year old monitor,the keyboard is still working fine but maybe they could do with getting an upgrade. So a monitor and keyboard are not essential but if included in the package thats perfect.

Can anyone recommend a new workstation/PC that will be modern but that will ensure they get a good few years out of. Also with decent memory and the computer speedy enough. As regards OS there old OS was Windows XP so they will probably have to move with times and get used to the newer OS out there. Not looking to spend more than €500 if possible.

While I am not a fan of Dell laptops, I must say there Dell PC has given them little or no problems over the years.

Would it be even worth them considering getting a laptop and hooking a monitor up to that?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Why don't you build one yourself ?

It's pretty straight forward and I'll give you some advice.

The bad thing about DELL PCs is usually that you won't be able to upgrade them or replace parts (mainboard for example)
    with ordinary parts that you get anywhere.

Also you would be able to build a PC that is perfectly suited for the task and doesn't have stuff that you'll never use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Ironbar wrote: »

You'll get budget Core i3 desktops for less than 400 yoyos. Hard to build one yourself for this money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Ironbar wrote: »

It's pretty straight forward and I'll give you some advice.

The bad thing about DELL PCs is usually that you won't be able to upgrade them or replace parts (mainboard for example)
    with ordinary parts that you get anywhere.

Also you would be able to build a PC that is perfectly suited for the task and doesn't have stuff that you'll never use.

Thanks for your offer of advice on building one, however due to time contraints it would probably be more beneficial for me to buy one.

Anybody any advice on workstations or any other sites to look at apart from Dell?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If you're looking for something really cheap, PCWorld have this ASUS Desktop reduced again to €189. Add another 4 Gig od RAM (€30) and it should suit your parents just fine. That Celeron G1610 is comparable to a first gen Core i3 desktop processor.

I had one here two weeks ago, decent enough office PC if you're on a budget. The only downside, it doesn't have HDMI out, VGA only.

P.S. Windows 7 install just fine (you'll need to enable CSM in the BIOS to bood from DVD), all drivers available on the ASUS website.

Advertisement