Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"I'm 1/4 irish"

• 22-09-2013 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Usually said by an American.
    Always hated this ****e, used to come up in chatrooms back in the day..

American:"Im half irish"
    Me:Really? Where were you born?
    American: Chicago
    Me : You're American so.
    American:No...you see my great grand papa was irish he lived in the county of Cork.
    Me: You have an irish relative, You were born in the USA , You are 100% American.

Another one: im 1/4 irish
    Me: Wow do you have 4 parents??
    Them:.....

Comments

May I recommend anger management counseling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

This topic has been done to death so I'll just say this: They're not harming anyone and if it means them coming over here to spend a few bob in our tourist industry, then all the better.

Leave them at it, who cares really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Never understood why people care what other people identify themselves as. At the end of the days it is his identity not yours. Not like some Irish people didn't come out with some cringey sh*t for "o'bama"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do these people visit the country/ies that account for the other 3/4 of their heritage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

That would mean one of their grandparents was irish,you have 4 grandparents..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

As long as they don't call Paddy's Day "Patty's Day", then they can claim all the Irish heritage they want.. Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

im 100% earthling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

The type of folks I hear coming out with this sh1te are the same folks that look funny at black people with African parents when they say they are Irish. Small country mentality.

Is it really that hard to understand that in a culturally diverse country like the U.S people identify themselves with the country that their family emigrated from?? What about all the latino people in america who consider themselves puerto rican or mexican or whatever. Are they arseholes too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

There are two types of people in the world......those who are Irish and those who wish they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pa_

Get over it. It would be worse if nobody gave a damn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I'm 1/200 Iberian due to the o'neill clans routes in Iberia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

having lived in the USA all summer, they seem to believe that if they have Irish (or any other country) heritage then that's present in the culture in which they're brought up hence they claim they are 1/4 Irish or whatever.

Bollox. Your American

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's just a thing over there. America is a big melting pot of different cultures so many identify with where their ancestors came from. For eg Italian/Americans in NYC and NJ often refer to themselves as "Italians", it's no big deal it's not worth getting upset over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm half man half amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

America is a very young country (most of it anyway) with very little heritage of its own (aside from native american which they sort of tried to erase), I find Irish people dont care too much about their root but Americans are desperate to figure out where they came from, how their family got there and all that jazz.

I used to get very impatient with people who made strained connections between themselves and Ireland, but in reality it makes no real odds to me. They come here, spend a pile of money, head home and fondly remember that time they had a real pint of stout in a 'real' Irish Pub. No real harm done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

American:No...you see my great grand papa was irish he lived in the county of Cork.
    Me: You have an irish relative, You were born in the USA , You are 100% American.

Nearly everyone 30 years ago was born in a Dublin hospital, so technically most of Irish people are Dub's, regardless of where they live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

America is still a relatively new country historically (Plymouth settlers, the famine ships, Irish slave transportation to Virginia) it makes sense that they would celebrate their origins and history. I think we should be proud that so many people admire our culture, history and want to be a part of it. St. Patrick's day is a global event now. There is such good will towards this country worldwide, you notice when you're on holiday how people light up when you tell them you're from Ireland. An american fellow was telling me about going to the town where his family came from and meeting some distant relatives up north, he was delighted and I was delighted for him I find geneology fascinating and what it tells us about who we are. People like the O.P. make me ashamed to be Irish :(

Nearly everyone 30 years ago was born in a Dublin hospital, so technically most of Irish people are Dub's, regardless of where they live now.

thats crap, dublin is not the only town/city to have hospitals in the last 50 years

i was born in a galway hospital and im over 30

thats crap, dublin is not the only town/city to have hospitals in the last 50 years

i was born in a galway hospital and im over 30

That's you because the trip from the wehst, would have been too long back then, I really meant Dublin and surrounding counties:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Grow up.

• Advertisement

What? No way is that true, there are hospitals in loads of counties that surround Dublin where women would have given birth, a small few might have gone to Dublin alright but the majority wouldn't have.

Meangadh wrote: »
    What? No way is that true, there are hospitals in loads of counties that surround Dublin where women would have given birth, a small few might have gone to Dublin alright but the majority wouldn't have.

All of Leinster people are Dub's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Jealous you're not a centaur?

yet another generalization eh?

there was many hospitals in leinster though less today seeing as some have since closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

They were???

Myself, my siblings and all of my many, many, cousins were born more than 30 years ago and not one of us was born within 100 miles of Dublin but we were all born in hospitals in Ireland...:confused:

Oh...I forgot, 'Ireland' consists only of the Pale. That crap annoys me waaay more than Americans saying they are fractionally Irish ;)

yet another generalization eh?

there was many hospitals in leinster though less today seeing as some have since closed.

Ask you'r relations, I have cousins, and family all over the country, and all bar 1 was born in Dublin.

Ok you're obviously taking the piss... I'm in Leinster, born about 30 years ago and can only think of one of my friends who was born in Dublin, the rest of us were born in the town we're from.

Meangadh wrote: »
    Ok you're obviously taking the piss... I'm in Leinster, born about 30 years ago and can only think of one of my friends who was born in Dublin, the rest of us were born in the town we're from.

In the bath or sommat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I was born in a fully functioning hospital in Cork in 1978.

• Advertisement

Ask you'r relations, I have cousins, and family all over the country, and all bar 1 was born in Dublin.

ill list some towns in leinster outside dublin with hospitals at least 50 years old for you

all of which delivered babies

drogheda
    cavan
    longford
    athlone
    tullamore
    portlaoise
    kilkenny
    naas
    wexford
    waterford

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    They were???

Myself, my siblings and all of my many, many, cousins were born more than 30 years ago and not one of us was born within 100 miles of Dublin but we were all born in hospitals in Ireland...:confused:

Oh...I forgot, 'Ireland' consists only of the Pale. That crap annoys me waaay more than Americans saying they are fractionally Irish ;)

Fair enough, It was always my understanding that you travelled to Dublin to give birth, my granny's (God rest them), Aunties etc.... all travelled to Dublin to give birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

they do the same with germans/germany. almost everybody has a german granny or grandpa or whatever.
    Sometimes it's true, sometimes maybe not. who cares.
    I actually kind of like it, I think often they just want to create a connection or 'good feeling' with their unknown aquaintances and keep the conversation rolling...nothing worse for an american than silence between people...:D

I was born in a fully functioning hospital in Cork in 1978.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

alexlyons wrote: »
    having lived in the USA all summer, they seem to believe that if they have Irish (or any other country) heritage then that's present in the culture in which they're brought up hence they claim they are 1/4 Irish or whatever.

Bollox. Your American

So Paul McGrath and Phil Lynott are British then? Thanks for clearing that up.

In the bath or sommat?

Hahaha! For feck's sake!

At the time I was born there were actually two hospitals in my home town where babies were born. Only one now although it's a bigger maternity area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Well,mr cranky OP,I think the phenomenon you mentioned is starting to die out.The grandkids of Irish immigrants in the US are (in my experience) now more likely to drop the hyphen and declare themselves American(with Irish heritage).

9/11 seems to have speeded up the the process.

It will be a lot more common for an American actor/musician/personality to be asked about their possible Irish ancestry by Tubridy or Cooper.

Besides,who are you to tell some punter what he is or how he feels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Well done. For an encore do you tell black people living in America that they are not African-American?

Do you also tell those with one half Native American heritage that they have no right to refer to their Native American ancestry?

• I'm sure they were speechless at your inability to do simple maths. Being 1/4 Irish means you have one Irish grandparent.

I'm technically only 1/4 Irish (one grandparent born in Ireland with pure Irish ancestry, another born in Ireland to Mediterranean parents, other 2 grandparents English) - still feel Irish. Having an Irish grandparent is quite a close connection to Ireland - it's hardly comparable to people who say their great-great-great-great-grandad was Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Bill G wrote: »
    So Paul McGrath and Phil Lynott are British then? Thanks for clearing that up.

Philo was born in Birmingham and supported Manchester United. You can't get much more Irish than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I'm 1/200 Iberian due to the o'neill clans routes in Iberia

You wouldn't be related to the Lloret del Mar O'Neills by any chance ? Or the Santa Ponsa O'neills ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In that case I'm 1/2 English, 1/3 Irish, 1/8 American, 1/16 Scottish.

Dont like them odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

It doesn't bother me once they don't say they're 1 fourth Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This thread certainly uncomplicates matters. So those in NI are UK citizens so cannot claim Irishness anymore. Those born before the establishment of the fee state are also not Irish. The 2004 referendum would have been alot simpler too as any child born in the 26 counties is 100% Irish whether they like it or not.

It used to annoy me especially if they just said "I'm irish" without any halves or quarters or roots, but meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I think it's great that people like to associate themselves as being part Irish. We should be proud of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

they love ireland but none of them wanna live here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bluewolf wrote: »
    It used to annoy me especially if they just said "I'm irish" without any halves or quarters or roots, but meh

It annoys you if someone is born to an Irish mother in Ireland and holds Irish citizenship, but fails to qualify it by saying - I'm half Irish. :confused:

MadsL wrote: »
    It annoys you if someone is born to an Irish mother in Ireland and holds Irish citizenship, but fails to qualify it by saying - I'm half Irish. :confused:

No, it doesn't annoy me. Past tense, yea? And I'm pretty sure you knew that's not what I meant anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

What confuses me is they dont tend to like immigrants and yet nearly all have (greatxN )grandparents who were immigrants and they consider themselves some fraction of where they were from.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

My Great Grandparents were from MAYO!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement