Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settling a cat in

• 22-09-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Ok, so my Dad has to go away for 6 weeks over Christmas this year, and so we're taking the cat (Mac) in. Now, Mac strayed into my Dads about a year ago and is settled in (neutered, chipped, vaccinated). My Dad lives in the country so Mac doesn't sleep indoors (Dad set him up with a cosy bed in our shed that he can get in and out of) and he does his business outside in the garden.

The problem is, is that we live in a first floor flat in Dublin City centre. I know, it's far from ideal because it's so different for him. But Mac is a pretty nervous cat (we think he was abused in his last place, as loud noises freak him out and it took us a while to get him to trust us), and tbh cattery fees for 6 weeks just isn't doable.

Anyway, my dad is making sure he knows how to use a litter tray before he comes up (which is going grand), and I know that once he settles in he'll be fine indoors- he likes his comfort! But anyone who has more experience with cats have any ideas of things we can do to help him settle? We don't want to stress him out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have a little female stray that we took in almost 2 weeks ago. She was living in a small wood so had a lot of freedom, although she was clearly someone's pet as she's very happy indoors. We have her confined to 1 room at the moment. She's got a couple of little beds, but she prefers my old wooly cardigan to sleep on.

She's got a large litter tray, toys and an upturned cardboard box that we cut a big square from the front of, she loves it for play hiding in, like a kitty cave:) Dangly toys that she can chase wear her out nicely too.

I'd recommend getting your dad to leave an old jumper or something soft with his smell on it, sounds weird I know, but animals seem to find it very comforting to have familliar smells around them in a strange place. Obviously the litter tray, toys a bed and a plug in Feliway diffuser is great. It mimics the pheremones that make cats feel happy and safe and usually last about a month. Plug it in a day or so before puss arrives.

Oh, I almost forgot treats, chicken roast or diced raw stuff is always welcome with my cats, as well as tuna in spring water or a bit of tinned salmon. Playing with cats is a great way of burning off their stress. You never know, puss might really enjoy indoor life, especially in winter and the yummy stuff on offer for Christmas, not to mention the Christmas tree:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I would try to give him a safe space, a room that he can call his own. If that isnt possible try to make sure sure he has lots of comfortable hidey holes.
    Catnip toys if he is catnip reactive. Feliway plug ins might also help.

make sure his bed is brought with him.

Just try to be patient with him and give him the space he needs. :-)

Advertisement