Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to store potatoes

• 22-09-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Going to dig up my spuds today. It's my first time growing them, what's the best way to store them? I have a shed, but it's a bit damp, will they rot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Key things are to keep them dark, cool but frost free and dry. Hessian sacks are the traditional method. I'll be putting them in cardboard boxes within cardboard boxes. If the temperature gets down below freezing ill throw a blanket over the lot. Avoid plastic as it can make hem sweat and rot apparently.
    And after you dig them up let them dry out for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Is it ok to dry them out in daylight? Just dug them up, a little disappointing but not too bad considering I never did anything for them other than plant them:o
    Wish i could remember the varieties... the yellow ones did great, the pink ones were not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

In the past I've done it similar to redser7. Except I used to put the potatoes in paper bags inside cardboard boxes, in the shed.

This year I'm going to try a potato clamp:
    http://www.selfsufficientish.com/clamp.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

inocybe wrote: »
    Is it ok to dry them out in daylight? Just dug them up, a little disappointing but not too bad considering I never did anything for them other than plant them:o
    Wish i could remember the varieties... the yellow ones did great, the pink ones were not good.

Absolutely, most people just leave them on the soil where they dig hem up, assuming the forecast is for no rain. Or inside a greenhouse would be fine. Set aside any that are damaged or nibbled and use those first. Store the best ones for long term use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

inocybe wrote: »

The yellow one may have been Records - they have yellowish skin and flesh and there are a reliable spud

The pinks - Possibly Kerr's Pink?

Are these names ringing any bells?

• Advertisement
Advertisement