Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A refund on a prescription?

Options
  • 22-09-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but couldn't think where else to post it!

I got a prescription on Saturday, after looking it up online side effects etc etc I've decided I don't really want to take it (it's not an essential medication, I requested a treatment at a hospital appointment and got a prescription for this), it cost me €27 which to be honest I could put to better use as money is very tight at the moment. I did research the brand on the prescription before I got it but the pharmacist offere me the generic version which is about €5 cheaper so I opted for that, then looked it up when I got home.

So my question is, would I be able to get a refund from the pharmacist if I bring the tablets back (unused of course), they're blister packed x 4 and in a small plastic pouch bag.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No way! Firstly you want to return them as a "change of mind". This is not grounds for a refund.
    More importantly, these tablets, no matter how they are packaged, can be resold to another customer.

You should have done your research when you got the prescription not when you got the tablets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why didn't you opt for the brand you actually researched?

Also why didn't you query any concerns before you paid for the generic?
    This is classed as change of mind and legally you wouldn't be entitled to any refund, they gave you what you requested at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

no pharmacist will give you a refund as once it leaves the shop, the risk of the product being changed is too great. - The amount of near perfect copies out there is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Cabaal wrote: »
    Why didn't you opt for the brand you actually researched?

Also why didn't you query any concerns before you paid for the generic?
    This is classed as change of mind and legally you wouldn't be entitled to any refund, they gave you what you requested at the end of the day.

The brand I researched was a bit more expensive, the pharmacist did tell me that I would have to be careful with some other medication I already take but that was when we were already at the till and I was paying.

Honestly I didn't think I would be able to get a refund but thought I'd see if anyone knew for sure. Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Side effects between generics and branded should be the same.
    If it wasn't safe, it wouldn't be licensed.

• Advertisement

Absolutely should be no difference in side effects with a generic. I think OP is confusing us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Absolutely should be no difference in side effects with a generic. I think OP is confusing us.

If you look at the side affects of almost every prescribed tablet the list is huge ... You have them now just do the course and be more careful with medical purchases in the future

Also where did you get the list of side effects?
    Unless it was from a clinical trial, or a medical journal or a reference book/side such as the British national formulary of the spc, I'd discount them.
    The side effects that you need to worry about are the ones that are common.

dickwod1 wrote: »
    If you look at the side affects of almost every prescribed tablet the list is huge ... You have them now just do the course and be more careful with medical purchases in the future

Quoting my post because...??

Quoting my post because...??

An accident maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Can't get a refund on perscription durgs.

Advertisement