Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new smartphone.

• 22-09-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I'm interested in buying a new smartphone. I've never bought one before so I'm a bit skeptical about buying one. I'm looking for value for money and to spend between €100-€200. I like the look of the nokia lumia 520. I also would like one with a good camera, good memory and not one with a battery that dies really fast.

Which phone in this price range is the best to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

deadybai wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm interested in buying a new smartphone. I've never bought one before so I'm a bit skeptical about buying one. I'm looking for value for money and to spend between €100-€200. I like the look of the nokia lumia 520. I also would like one with a good camera, good memory and not one with a battery that dies really fast.

Which phone in this price range is the best to buy?

Are you thinking of buying it outright for that price, or on a contract? AFAIK the lumia 520 is a windows phone, and on this forum you're likely to be informed that android is a better OS! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Are you thinking of buying it outright for that price, or on a contract? AFAIK the lumia 520 is a windows phone, and on this forum you're likely to be informed that android is a better OS! :)

yeah I want to buy it up front for that price. I'm not up to date with the phones these days so what is an android and what is an os and which is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

deadybai wrote: »
    yeah I want to buy it up front for that price. I'm not up to date with the phones these days so what is an android and what is an os and which is better?

Best way to think of it is that they all do the same thing but go about it a different way in terms of user interface.

You'll have a greater choice with android smart phones and you can pick up a decent one for your budget. Samsung, HTC are the main brands there.

You'll have a slightly more restricted choice with Windows phones, the Nokia Luminas being the main ones.

Then there's Apples iOS which will be out of budget new. This operating system is probably the simplest to use however.

There was a thread in bargain alerts for a Nokia Lumina 920 simply free at a greatly reduced cost a couple of days ago if you were thinking about a 520. If you look on adverts.ie there are a few Nexus 4 android phones, some of which are brand new. This would be a good choice as it is a high spec model with a large screen. Many of the other androids in your price range are poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 treadsoftly

Hi,
    For a complete novice going from an old Nokia X2 what is best first smartphone given a lack of tech savvy. Need it for calls, texts (large print), some googling and accessing email, FB. Cost of messaging i.e. dialing into mailbox and cost of calls to other networks a factor.

(am unemployed).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Can I buy an Android smart phone (speakeasy) and insert the SIM card from my old Nokia mobile phone? Am I all set then?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Worztron wrote: »
    Can I buy an Android smart phone (speakeasy) and insert the SIM card from my old Nokia mobile phone? Am I all set then?

Yes, but a couple of things to consider.....

The Nokia SIM may not physically fit. Older SIM cards are larger than the modern ones, but there are some smartphones out there that will take the larger ones.

Make sure that the SIM you're going to use has some sort of data allowance built in. With the old Nokia, you were probably texting and calling, but with a smart phone you will more than likely find you're using a data connection most of the time. Check the plan that you're on with the old sim.

Advertisement