Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dormant account

• 22-09-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I recently discovered a deposit book which has a sum of money in an account which was opened by my grandparents. the last transaction took place on the 12/1/1981. 

I went to my local branch where i met a very helpful coustomer service lady who told me she could not find the account on the system. She told me the money was unrecoverable.

I find this hard to understand that i have the deposit book with the balance and the account number and the money cant be accessed.

Is this true??

thank you

Ken

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

kerryman75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I recently discovered a deposit book which has a sum of money in an account which was opened by my grandparents. the last transaction took place on the 12/1/1981. 

I went to my local branch where i met a very helpful coustomer service lady who told me she could not find the account on the system. She told me the money was unrecoverable.

I find this hard to understand that i have the deposit book with the balance and the account number and the money cant be accessed.

Is this true??

thank you

Ken
    Hi Ken,

Thank you for contacting Bank of Ireland.

When an account is closed due to non activity and there is still a remaining balance, the funds are transferred to the National Treasury Management  Agency.  You need to contact the branch the account was opened in directly.  They will be able to check and see what happened to the account and explain how you can retrieve the funds.

You can find the contact details for our branches here.

Thanks

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kerryman75

Hi,

Is this true??

thank you

Ken
    Hi Ken,

When an account is closed due to non activity and there is still a remaining balance, the funds are transferred to the National Treasury Management  Agency.  You need to contact the branch the account was opened in directly.  They will be able to check and see what happened to the account and explain how you can retrieve the funds.

Thanks

Seán
    Thanks for the reply Sean,

I did go into the same branch but the customer service desk staff member told me she could not find any records on the system, in fairness she spent some time looking.

she explained that before the NTMA was setup the dormant funds were difficult to trace.

There has to be a paper trail somewhere.

Thanks,

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Hi,

Is this true??

thank you

Ken
    Hi Ken,

Thanks

Seán
    Thanks for the reply Sean,

I did go into the same branch but the customer service desk staff member told me she could not find any records on the system, in fairness she spent some time looking.

she explained that before the NTMA was setup the dormant funds were difficult to trace.

There has to be a paper trail somewhere.

Thanks,

Ken
    Hi Ken,

We should be able to trace it for you, if you contact your branch a representative will be happy to send this query off for you.

Thanks

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kerryman75

Thanks sean

Advertisement