Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider Pest Problem (Getting rid of them)

• 22-09-2013 3:04pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭

At home I have always had spiders around but this year it's seems to have gotten particularly bad they are all over the the back of the garage on the outside of the house and their are spider webs all over the back of the house and in the odd corner that I forget when cleaning.

I haven't found many in the house this year but last night I found a huge one on the wall of the garage on the outside of the house it was the biggest spider I have ever seen over here my friend who also saw it owns 3 Tarantulas he was even frightened by it. I'm not afraid of spiders but I don't want them inside the house I haven't seen many in the garage but I would imagine it's covered in them probably even bigger ones than the one I saw last night because their is spider web everywhere. I have already killed a few out the back this summer that had big thick shells but the one I saw last night was the worst I have seen yet.

So I want to ask is, is their anything I can buy in the supermarket like a bug bomb or something that I could set off out the back and in the garage that would just kill them all? I have a bug spray but it took half a can of it to kill that big spider last night.

I don't want to go down the route of calling in some sort of pest control because I would imagine it's very expensive. I also have dogs so I would need something that wouldn't harm them either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Why would you go around killing harmless spiders in the garden? They are harmless, in fact they kill flies.

If I find a spider in the house, I catch it and put it outside. Problem solved. They are far from pests.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

I don't want them anywhere near the house because now with the seasons changing and the weather getting cold they will all be looking for warmth and shelter. The first place they will go is inside the house. Maybe you like them but to me they are pests.

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Are you supposed to use bug spray on spiders? Seems awfully cruel!! It's also a poison that affects anything that breathes it in-including your dogs!

I think if you have spider nests you need to call an exterminator. No common or garden bug bomb will work as far as I know.

How big was the spider? Surely if it was that huge it couldn't fit into a crack like the teeny ones anyway to get into the house.

Thanks for the reply.

I remember when my friend bought one of his Tarantulas I think it was a couple of months old at the time, the spider out my back was bigger than that. It was jet black and looked like one of the rubber joke spiders you would see in a toy shop. I don't know about the bug spray but it was the only thing I had on hand it was on a wall out the back near the roof above my head so I wasn't risking hitting it with a shoe or that in case it fell on top of me. The Dogs were inside in bed I wouldn't use the spray anywhere near them.

The problem is other people in the house aren't that bothered with them so on a sunny day like last Sunday other people that live in the house will sit out in the back garden in the sun all day with the kitchen door wide open so anything that's out the back can easily get into the house if it wants.

As I was saying I still live at home so I don't own the house so if I was to call an exterminator I would have to pay for it I imagine it would cost a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

stevie1122 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I remember when my friend bought one of his Tarantulas I think it was a couple of months old at the time, the spider out my back was bigger than that. It was jet black and looked like one of the rubber joke spiders you would see in a toy shop. I don't know about the bug spray but it was the only thing I had on hand it was on a wall out the back near the roof above my head so I wasn't risking hitting it with a shoe or that in case it fell on top of me. The Dogs were inside in bed I wouldn't use the spray anywhere near them.

The problem is other people in the house aren't that bothered with them so on a sunny day like last Sunday other people that live in the house will sit out in the back garden in the sun all day with the kitchen door wide open so anything that's out the back can easily get into the house if it wants.

As I was saying I still live at home so I don't own the house so if I was to call an exterminator I would have to pay for it I imagine it would cost a lot.

I don't think the likes of rentokil deal with the extermination of spiders as they aren't considered pests and unlike some insects like ants or wasps they don't congregate in large groups together. Cobwebs in the roof and corners of the garage doesn't indicate that there are a huge number of spiders. If you were to pay an exterminator he would be extorting money out of you for brushing down cobwebs.

I far, far prefer spiders to flies. I always help them out of the bath and make sure they're out of harms way. (ie the dogs way) I have a bit of a soft spot for them. And always duck out of the way of pretty new cobwebs if they're on a gate or a doorway outside.

Slugs and snails are another matter. I'd have nightmares about those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any chance of a pic of it, OP. I didn't think there were any Irish spiders that got that large.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

A safe and environmentally way of getting rid of those pesky spiders:)

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Spider-Repellent-at-Home

Btw do you know how unlucky it is to kill a house spider?

Kill a spider, bad luck yours will be
    Until of flies you've swatted fifty-three:)

^And presumably feed the dead flies to another spider;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sohsoh

I know it's a bit early yet but I've been collecting chestnuts over the last couple of years and leaving them around the house e.g. at the door between the garage and hallway, on the floor behind the telly etc. My relatives think I'm crazy but I think it works. On the science side I did read once that spiders have an aversion to chestnuts.

kylith wrote: »
    Any chance of a pic of it, OP. I didn't think there were any Irish spiders that got that large.

No sorry I didn't get a picture.
    Madam wrote: »
    A safe and environmentally way of getting rid of those pesky spiders:)

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Spider-Repellent-at-Home

Btw do you know how unlucky it is to kill a house spider?

Kill a spider, bad luck yours will be
    Until of flies you've swatted fifty-three:)

^And presumably feed the dead flies to another spider;)

Thanks ill try that.
    sohsoh wrote: »
    I know it's a bit early yet but I've been collecting chestnuts over the last couple of years and leaving them around the house e.g. at the door between the garage and hallway, on the floor behind the telly etc. My relatives think I'm crazy but I think it works. On the science side I did read once that spiders have an aversion to chestnuts.

I read about this the other day but the problem is where would I get chestnuts I haven't seen them since I was in primary school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 sohsoh

Sometimes Aldi/Lidl sell bags of chestnuts but as I said it's too early for them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

If you like spiders. fine. They terrify me and in this house there are large ones around 4 inches across. Legs thick and hairy! Dealt with three already; they don't pay rent so they don't live in my accommodation. And no way could I handle one,,, yukk!!

Fly spray works fine and the spiders can catch flies outside all they like; just NOT IN MY ROOMS!

Used to be a spray power that killed them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You need a cat to hunt them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

tk123 wrote: »

Got three an d they are fascinated but d o nothing...

sohsoh wrote: »
    Sometimes Aldi/Lidl sell bags of chestnuts but as I said it's too early for them at the moment.

Thanks ill keep a look out for them.

tk123 wrote: »

I already own a few dogs so I can't really get a cat.

Advertisement