Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up UK website

Options
  • 22-09-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi folks

I'm setting up a new website based on my Irish website.

For example if the Irish website was pictureframesireland.com and I was planning on setting up a pictureframesUK.com

Do I need to use a UK hosting company?
    How do I get the site to appear on Google UK rather than Google Ireland. As I'd be concerned at the UK site interferring with the Irish site.?
    Content will be different on both sites so how could I use SEO aimed specifically for UK customers?

All advice appreciated.

S

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Speculator wrote: »
    Hi folks

I'm setting up a new website based on my Irish website.

For example if the Irish website was pictureframesireland.com and I was planning on setting up a pictureframesUK.com

Do I need to use a UK hosting company?
    How do I get the site to appear on Google UK rather than Google Ireland. As I'd be concerned at the UK site interferring with the Irish site.?
    Content will be different on both sites so how could I use SEO aimed specifically for UK customers?

All advice appreciated.

S

Hi OP,

What you will need to do pretty much is build a UK website that is relevant for a UK audience. That means:

-a .co.uk domain (or at least a .com).
    -local indicators to show you have a presence in the UK or at least some sort of demonstrable connection with that market there.
    -hosting the site in the UK (although not essential, it will help).
    -UK-targeted content, i.e. useful and informative content that is targeted at a UK audience. A great starting point for you here is to look at similar, UK-based competitor sites to see what they do.

That should get you thinking for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Atomico nailed it on the head.

Localized Content is going to be a key factor but these days with the way google is ranking things these days they are going with local listings first (depending on the search term) which reduces the likelyhood of appearing in the top slots unless you have a Local Address, Phone Number and Google Places Page.

A .co.uk website address would also help matters rather than a .com
    You cant prevent google from listing something, however if set up correctly your content should prevent interference, also be sure and set your Google Webmaster tools to a preferred target country.

Something else I would recommend is NOT using the same name/address to register both domain names, nor use the same web host.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

was.deevey wrote: »
    Something else I would recommend is NOT using the same name/address to register both domain names, nor use the same web host.
    You'll have to explain that.

You're basically recommending that the OP use false details when registering a domain name which could lead to them losing the domain.

You're basically recommending that the OP use false details when registering a domain name which could lead to them losing the domain.

No I am not.

There is an option of private registration with most hosts. If not then register using the UK address for the UK site.

If there are 2 (or more) sites with the same Whois registration details with the same market segment and similar content. Its more likely one of them will not do so well in googles rankings (first hand experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

was.deevey wrote: »
    No I am not.

There is an option of private registration with most hosts.

Not for a co.uk domain

You can only opt out of whois if you're a private, non-trading individual

• Advertisement

Not for a co.uk domain

Well then turn privacy on to whichever one is a .com (if either or both) or use a Business Address local to that site then.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

Thanks for the replies. The issue is the .co.UK domain is not available so I will be using .com.

Thanks for the replies. The issue is the .co.UK domain is not available so I will be using .com.

That being the case, get a hosting package with a reputable UK company and ENSURE that it will have a UK ip address.

Best of luck :)

Advertisement