Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland first course on Atheism to be launched in schooll

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

MadsL wrote: »
    You would hardly be banding about the word sin, or at the very least talking about it as a definition of breaking the laws of the religion you follow. No reason why that could not be a jumping off point for a class thinking about the things they did wrong that year and saying sorry to that person.

Kids know the difference between right and wrong already at that age, and class rules reinforce it if they are written and explained well.

Teaching how Christians celebrate Easter and the Resurrection really isn't going to offend Jews, I assure you.

Why? I did.

Epicurus in the classroom, I approve. :) I also approve of Buddha in the classrom.

On what followers of a religion regard as sin, big difference.

Most scholars agree that he existed in some historical form, you are OK with kids being taught as much as we know about Hannibal but not what one of the most influential religions of the world believes about it's founder?

A State eductaion should be sub-standard? Really?

No. Not in primary school.

You really want unionised state employees educating the young on the lessons of sin and morality? I admire Yom Kippur a lot personally, but don't think it should be taught in school, same with the others.

I can kind of see where you are coming from, and having come from such a diverse place myself where I sat at many Passover meals, attended succoths, babysat for a Buddhist home, I, like many others learned about these ceremonies through osmosis, just from having peers from so many backgrounds,
    and yes it does reduce parochialism, I just don't think it's ok to bring it into the primary classroom.

Puppet shows on appreciating difference and workshops. Let the time be used for a foreign language.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

swampgas wrote: »
    I think it's entirely possible to explain what an atheist is in terms that an 8 year old can understand.

You don't have a problem with 8-years olds being expected to understand all the contradictory nonsense that comes with Catholicism, like transubstantiation perhaps?

I think the issue is that once you explain to some kids that other kids don't believe in God, the other kids are then going to want an explanation as to why they should believe in God. As for transubstantiation it gets worse. Explaining that atheists believe that the crackers and ribena are in fact just crackers and ribena, and not really the body and blood of Christ, is not really the bigger part of the teaching challenge.

The first question the child will ask is what the teacher believes to get a point of reference. Then the parents. Secularism is a more pragmatic way of dealing with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It seems that a lot of the concerns are about the use of the word atheism, rather than the content of the lessons.

The objective reality is that the idea of atheism means different things to different people. Insisting that it means only what you want it to mean is simply not reflecting reality.

The reality is that there are atheists who believe that atheism is only a lack of belief in gods and nothing else, and there are atheists who believe that atheism is intrinsically linked to wider worldviews including social and ethical ideas.

There are atheists who spend little or no time thinking about atheism, and there atheists who are active around the world in atheist organisations, promoting change in society while self-identifying as atheists.

There are atheists in democratic countries and in nondemocratic countries who face different challenges and opportunities with regard to manifesting their atheism.

There are atheists who want to limit the use of the word atheism to coincide with their own preferred usage, and there are atheists who are happy to recognise the ambiguity of reality where different atheists think differently.

The bottom line is that you are entitled to your personal beliefs about how you think about atheism and how you use the word atheism, but you are not entitled to insist that everyone else thinks about atheism and uses the word atheism in the same way as you do.

Not only is that leaning towards a type of fundamentalism, but more importantly it does not reflect objective reality. And children should be taught about reality in an objective, critical and pluralist manner.
    I've had this debate before - with yourself I believe. :)

I fundamentally disagree that simply because some people who share a belief also share certain other ideals that you can start changing the meanings of words. It doesn't reflect the reality which is that nothing other than what the word has always meant can be said to reflect all the people who self-identify with it - there is only one thing that all atheists have in common. Saying they are entitled to their personal beliefs about the definition is ludicrous. What they are entitled to is to not have secondary beliefs or ideals foisted on them by people who see modern culture as an excuse to rewrite the dictionary.

Of course having chosen the name in the first place, I believe Atheist Ireland have it in their interest to perpetuate the notion that atheism is not atheism any more, it's a worldview. It's always been the elephant in the room, and this redefinition is an attempt to throw a blanket over it. In fact it's only ever been Michael on behalf of AI and the more vociferous of the religious that I've ever heard proclaiming atheism to mean more than No Belief.

I'm all for teaching the options and history of non-belief to kids (along with an overview of the believer stuff), but a headline suggesting 'Atheist Ireland to develop a course teaching about atheism in schools' makes my teeth hurt. So yes, it's the use of the word, not the content of the lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You really want unionised state employees educating the young on the lessons of sin and morality? .

Where did I propose that?

Religious Studies should be amoral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

I think it's entirely possible to explain what an atheist is in terms that an 8 year old can understand.

You don't have a problem with 8-years olds being expected to understand all the contradictory nonsense that comes with Catholicism, like transubstantiation perhaps?

Go on then, tell me how you would explain it to an 8 year old, and answer their first question which at that age is who made the world? My point is should that question not be left to their parents based on their personal choice of how to raise their children? The whole concept of separation of church and state.

Calling religious belief "nonsense" reflects the kind of antitheist rhetoric that I imagine most parents in Ireland would want kept far away from their children. People who choose to raise their kids Catholic get to handle the questions that their religion raises, like the one you posed. No need for state involvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Dades wrote: »

I fundamentally disagree that simply because some people who share a belief also share certain other ideals that you can start changing the meanings of words.{...}

Dictionaries seem to disagree unfortunately:
    Definition of LITERALLY

: in a literal sense or manner : actually <took the remark literally> <was literally insane>
    : in effect : virtually <will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice — Norman Cousins>

I don't think we should allow words to be changed simply because people use them incorrectly, but this is the world we live in.

Where did I propose that?

Religious Studies should be amoral.

You proposed it when you suggested kids know right from wrong at that age and its a jumping off point for them to think about what they did wrong and say sorry.

That's far from amoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Gerry T

smacl wrote: »
    Love to see the curriculum for this one. How many pages can you fill with the words I don't believe in God. Surely a course on critical thinking, philosophy, history or one of the sciences would be a better use of time.
    I think you have just listed the Atheist curriculum :)

You proposed it when you suggested kids know right from wrong at that age and its a jumping off point for them to think about what they did wrong and say sorry.

That's far from amoral.

Personal morality and religious morality are two separate things.

I clearly meant religious amorality should be a tenet of Religious Education. Apologies if that was confusing.

Do you really have a problem with a teacher saying "It is wrong to steal Anne's pencil, say sorry to Anne?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

nagirrac wrote: »
    Go on then, tell me how you would explain it to an 8 year old, and answer their first question which at that age is who made the world?
    Well, my kid got the scientific basics down around the age of four or so. I think most other eight year olds would be able to cope. It's certainly better than telling them some third-rate bronze-age creation myth.
    Calling religious belief "nonsense" reflects the kind of antitheist rhetoric that I imagine most parents in Ireland would want kept far away from their children.
    Sometimes the truth hurts.

The world would certainly be a better and a less combustible place if people could distinguish, as you've failed to do here, between being rude about an idea and being rude about somebody who might happen to value that idea.

• Advertisement

Personal morality and religious morality are two separate things.

I clearly meant religious amorality should be a tenet of Religious Education. Apologies if that was confusing.

Do you really have a problem with a teacher saying "It is wrong to steal Anne's pencil, say sorry to Anne?

What?

You said it as an excersize in relation to Yom Kippur. That's not amoral.

Madsl, one of my annoyances in Ireland is the amount of apologising, so maybe this is not a good example. In my nearby primary school in Ireland there was a wall of letters from the senior infants class to the three bears, wherebtheybhad to pretend to be goldilocks and write an apology letter. If I was not hearing so many IM SORRYS when I'm over there, it wouldn't have bugged me that much.

Oh and I can guarantee you a seven year old will say they didn't steal it, they only borrowed it.

What?

You said it as an excersize in relation to Yom Kippur. That's not amoral.

Let me say it slowly and give an example... Now Kiddies, we have learnt that Jews at Yom Kipper think about their faults and the things they have done wrong. Now what things do you think you might have done wrong this year. Oh, you were mean to your sister Ahmed. What would be a good way to "atone" for that. Atone means to make amends...what's that Stevie? Say sorry? Yes, saying sorry is one way that some people believe we can make up for the things that we have done wrong.
    Madsl, one of my annoyances in Ireland is the amount of apologising,
    Sorry about that.
    Oh and I can guarantee you a seven year old will say they didn't steal it, they only borrowed it.

Should a teacher explain the difference between borrowing and stealing?

robindch wrote: »
    Well, my kid got the scientific basics down around the age of four or so. I think most other eight year olds would be able to cope. It's certainly better than telling them some third-rate bronze-age creation myth.Sometimes the truth hurts.

The world would certainly be a better and a less combustible place if people could distinguish, as you've failed to do here, between being rude about an idea and being rude about somebody who might happen to value that idea.

What is it that science says about how the universe emerged or what it emerged from that you understand, let alone a 4 or 8 year old? Science says nothing about the fundamental origin of the universe, zilch.

The truth? Let us know when you have found it as it has proved to be a bit elusive. The world would be a better place if humans would stop telling other humans what to believe or not believe when it comes to religious thought.

What is it that science says about how the universe emerged or what it emerged from that you understand, let alone a 4 or 8 year old? Science says nothing about the fundamental origin of the universe, zilch.

The truth? Let us know when you have found it as it has proved to be a bit elusive. The world would be a better place if humans would stop telling other humans what to believe or not believe when it comes to religious thought.
    Science doesn't say, that's the great thing about science. It carries our experiments and comes up with a set of rules. It then tests those rules and tries to prove them wrong, then it re-writes the rules -- in an never ending loop to try and understand the universe we live in. Religion on the other hand looks to an all mighty God and says if you don't believe you will burn in hell's fire for eternity. And if you question your told "its gods way" or use your "faith" & be strong.
    So to the second part of the quote above, do you condone leaving religion totally out of schools, let children learn what we know to be the facts today, try teach children to think for themselves and ultimately educate themselves in a way that they question their own belief system to try better themselves.

Dictionaries seem to disagree unfortunately:
    Don't get me started on that travesty! Also, that's not a "label" someone would use to self-identify so there's no victim other than language itself.
    I don't think we should allow words to be changed simply because people use them incorrectly, but this is the world we live in.
    Here it's more a case of people advocating using them incorrectly. Also, see point one above. :)

Nothing wrong with saying to your kids that there are plenty of things you don't understand personally, and others that we as a race don't understand collectively. I do it all the time. Gives the kids the chance to think for themselves, come to their own conclusion and chat about them. One of the things I think our education system often lacks is how to teach people to alternate between divergent and convergent thought processes, which is so easy to do with kids. When they ask a question just say you don't know the answer and ask what they think. (Divergent / exploratory). When they answer, ask them why they came to that conclusion. (Convergent / reasoning / logic).

The fact that we don't understand the fundamental origin of the universe should not be a source of embarrassment when explaining things to the kids. And saying 'God did it' IMHO is a pretty lame excuse.

Gerry T wrote: »
    So to the second part of the quote above, do you condone leaving religion totally out of schools, let children learn what we know to be the facts today, try teach children to think for themselves and ultimately educate themselves in a way that they question their own belief system to try better themselves.

Religious instruction should not be taught in state funded schools in my view, unless perhaps as an optional after school class, that parents can choose to send their kids to or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Go on then, tell me how you would explain it to an 8 year old, and answer their first question which at that age is who made the world? My point is should that question not be left to their parents based on their personal choice of how to raise their children? The whole concept of separation of church and state.

Calling religious belief "nonsense" reflects the kind of antitheist rhetoric that I imagine most parents in Ireland would want kept far away from their children. People who choose to raise their kids Catholic get to handle the questions that their religion raises, like the one you posed. No need for state involvement.

I explained it to a five year old and she had no problem understanding it. She asked aged five because she had just entered the Irish State School system and encountered the concept of Holy God who made the world for the first time.

I said that some people believe there is a God and Jesus is his son like her granddad who is a Catholic.

Other people believe there are lots of Gods - she doesn't know any yet but they are called Hindu.

Some people believe there is no God, like myself and her Daddy and they are called Atheist.

She had zero difficulty understanding.

Let me say it slowly and give an example... Now Kiddies, we have learnt that Jews at Yom Kipper think about their faults and the things they have done wrong. Now what things do you think you might have done wrong this year. Oh, you were mean to your sister Ahmed. What would be a good way to "atone" for that. Atone means to make amends...what's that Stevie? Say sorry? Yes, saying sorry is one way that some people believe we can make up for the things that we have done wrong.

This is where I tend to fall foul of Christian and Abrahamic morality models. Focussing on the wrongs, atoning for sins, guilt and forgiveness. It's all about the negatives. Me and the missus more or less tell the kids to be kind, to be nice, to be loving, to enjoy themselves, to help their friends enjoy themselves etc.. Work hard, play hard and all that jazz. I would never dream of telling one of my children or any child to reflect on all the bad things they did last year, and figure out how they can make amends. IMHO, life should be expressed and experienced in positive terms.

Apropos of nothing, my kind of Dogma
    You people don't celebrate your faith; you mourn it.

• Advertisement

This is where I tend to fall foul of Christian and Abrahamic morality models. Focussing on the wrongs, atoning for sins, guilt and forgiveness. It's all about the negatives. Me and the missus more or less tell the kids to be kind, to be nice, to be loving, to enjoy themselves, to help their friends enjoy themselves etc.. Work hard, play hard and all that jazz. I would never dream of telling one of my children or any child to reflect on all the bad things they did last year, and figure out how they can make amends. IMHO, life should be expressed and experienced in positive terms.

Apropos of nothing, my kind of Dogma

No Santa in your house...

No Santa in your house...

Nope, not one that brings coal at any rate. We just have the coca-cola dude that brings extra presents to keep granny happy. We did have Cartman at the top of the tree last year complete with a red hat, but my eldest swapped it for an orange wraparound for that out of season Buddha look.

Nope, not one that brings coal at any rate. We just have the coca-cola dude that brings extra presents to keep granny happy. We did have Cartman at the top of the tree last year complete with a red hat, but my eldest swapped it for an orange wraparound for that out of season Buddha look.

Well screw you guys....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

We always have Xena on top of ours.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Back a bit late to this thread, but anyway.

My approach to explaining stuff to children is to say as little as possible, initially, and then answer the questions that arise. That way I'm letting the child drive the conversation. When they don't want to ask any more questions, that's fine.

As for who made the world, I'd start by saying I don't know if anybody did make the world - that it's a bit of a puzzle. I'd say that the world appears to be very very old, and that from science we can make some educated guesses about what happened going back quite a long way, however ultimately it's a bit of mystery as to what kicked it all off.

As for separation of church and state ... well, either leave religion out of school completely (no religious studies, no comparative religion, and definitely no indoctrination) or else make sure humanism / secularism / atheism are well represented in whatever material is being presented.

My point about Catholic "nonsense" was this: you seem to think basic science is way too complicated for an 8-year-old, but have no problem with an 8-year-old being presented with what really is, literally, non-sense? I.e. stuff that doesn't add up? Telling kids that "God made the world" is not based on anything sensible - it is a creation myth being presented as reality.

There's a real double standard here - any old religious waffle is just fine and can be imposed on the children of atheist parents in schools (more of the "ah sure what's the harm" attitude) but the first hint of atheism being explained to the children of religious parents and suddenly it's armageddon, with parents' rights being trampled all over the place, and can't we all learn to be nice to each other.

Sheeeeeeesh ...

These are too complex for little minds to be indoctrinated by in school.

I get what you are saying but teaching respect and understanding can be started at any age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Jernal wrote: »
    My fear is that it's lead to distinct paradigms in education. Where parents will have option of choosing between your curriculum and the Catholic Alive-O shyte.
    Zillah wrote: »
    Plonk an atheist/secular humanist module into the religion/world philosophy section of the curriculum and you're good to go.
    Penn wrote: »
    I'm not saying that students shouldn't be taught about atheism, I'm saying it should be taught as part of a religion class.
    Are there some misconceptions out there about this "course" being an atheist version of RE class?
    My own impression is that it is designed to be only a module, that is a part of an overrall RE syllabus. Maybe Michael would clarify?
    RE itself is a mandatory part of the State curriculum. That means a school must devote a certain mandated amount of hours per week teaching the subject, even if the school is not particularly interested in religion. But it is the only subject for which there are no particular guidelines or syllabus provided. So at primary level the content is left entirely up to the school patron body, which is exactly how the religious patrons like it.
    It seems highly unlikely that any school under religious patronage will present this course during their allotted RE slot. They are far too busy with "faith formation".

The ET multi-denominational schools are apparently going to trial it, as a part of their RE syllabus.

There are no schools under atheist patronage, and even if there were, it seems unlikely that they would adopt this course as their complete and entire RE syllabus.

AFAIK there are no publicly funded non-denominational schools. There are one or two privately funded ones, but they don't need to devote any time at all to RE, being outside of the State curriculum, so they have no need of the course at all.

My point about Catholic "nonsense" was this: you seem to think basic science is way too complicated for an 8-year-old, but have no problem with an 8-year-old being presented with what really is, literally, non-sense? I.e. stuff that doesn't add up? Telling kids that "God made the world" is not based on anything sensible - it is a creation myth being presented as reality.

There's a real double standard here - any old religious waffle is just fine and can be imposed on the children of atheist parents in schools (more of the "ah sure what's the harm" attitude) but the first hint of atheism being explained to the children of religious parents and suddenly it's armageddon, with parents' rights being trampled all over the place, and can't we all learn to be nice to each other.

No that's not what I'm saying. Science should be taught from the earliest possible age, my own kids were deeply into science by age 3 and have never looked back. However, questions like where the universe (the world to a 5 year old) came from and whether there is a God or not are not answered by science, at least currently, and are in the realm of philosophy / religion. They are much more difficult questions to deal with, and get more difficult as children get older. As for what answers kids should get in state funded schools on these questions, I would agree with you that "we don't know" but there are lots of different opinions is the appropriate one.

I firmly oppose religious instruction in state funded schools and have no double standard there. Religion or whatever belief system (or none) parents chose to teach belongs in the home. Kids have plenty exposure to other opinions / beliefs outside the home as they get older, and will form their own beliefs in time anyway.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I explained it to a five year old and she had no problem understanding it. She asked aged five because she had just entered the Irish State School system and encountered the concept of Holy God who made the world for the first time.

She had zero difficulty understanding.

.. and I would say your answers were almost identical to what I told my kids at 5 and they were grand with it, accepted it and understood it as well. At 8 the questions got a good bit more challenging and by 15 one had lost all interest in the subject and the other decided to become a Catholic. In my personal opinion, raise them to be open minded, to think for themselves, and expose them to as wide a range of human beliefs as possible.. and they will decide themselves anyway, and probably change their minds several times along their own journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Yes, we’ve discussed it before, and I’m happy to discuss it again. :)
    I fundamentally disagree that simply because some people who share a belief also share certain other ideals that you can start changing the meanings of words.
    Well, I can't unilaterally start to change the meanings of words, and I don't want to. But whether or not you fundamentally disagree, the meanings of words change. It happens all of the time. Continuously. Dictionaries retrospectively record some of those changes, but dictionary definitions do not cause words to have meanings.

“Some people who share a belief also sharing certain other ideals” is one of the ways that the meanings of words change over time, or at least is a contributory factor to such changes. How do you think words like left-wing, right-wing, conservative, liberal, green etc got the political meanings that are part of their multiple meanings?
    It doesn't reflect the reality which is that nothing other than what the word has always meant can be said to reflect all the people who self-identify with it - there is only one thing that all atheists have in common.
    There is no such thing as “what the word (atheism) has always meant.” It has meant many different things over the generations.
    • It has meant ‘without god' or 'without gods’ - note, not without 'belief in gods’, but without 'gods'.
    • It has meant immoral or wicked
    • It has meant rejection of god or gods
    • It has meant rejection of belief in god or gods
    • It has meant believing there is no god
    • It has meant not believing there is a god
    • It has meant the doctrine (i.e. belief or set of beliefs) that there is no god

What people who self-identify with a word choose to mean by it does not cause the word to have that meaning. People who self-identify as criminals do not determine what the word criminal means. People who self-identify as liberals do not determine what the word liberal means. People who self-identify as philosophers do not determine what the word philosopher means.

Whether or not something is the only attribute that certain things or people have in common does not cause that to be the only meaning that a word has. What causes a word to have a meaning is whether enough people use that word in a similar way to make it an effective tool of communication.

Also, there is no common thing that all people who self-identify as atheists have in common. Opinion polls commonly show a small number of people who self-identify as atheists who say they believe in a god.
    Saying they are entitled to their personal beliefs about the definition is ludicrous.
    It may be or it may not be. It depends on whether what they want to convey coincides with the meaning received by the person they are communicating with.
    What they are entitled to is to not have secondary beliefs or ideals foisted on them by people who see modern culture as an excuse to rewrite the dictionary.
    Nobody is having beliefs or ideals foisted on them. Modern culture is not merely an excuse for, but is the recognised ongoing mechanism for, continuously rewriting the dictionary.
    Of course having chosen the name in the first place, I believe Atheist Ireland have it in their interest to perpetuate the notion that atheism is not atheism any more, it's a worldview. It's always been the elephant in the room, and this redefinition is an attempt to throw a blanket over it.
    Atheist Ireland has always been clear and transparent in our goals: to promote atheism and reason over superstition and supernaturalism, and to promote an ethical secular state. We have always recognised that different people mean different things by the word atheist.

When you say “the notion that atheism is not atheism any more”, do you mean “the notion that atheism does not mean wicked or immoral any more"? I suspect not. I suspect that you are happy that that particular meaning has changed, and that what you want is for the changing to stop at whatever meaning that you prefer. But that is not how life works.
    In fact it's only ever been Michael on behalf of AI and the more vociferous of the religious that I've ever heard proclaiming atheism to mean more than No Belief.
    Here are some extracts from some organisations and websites. Some are translated by google translate, so follow the links for context. I am not arguing that these examples are the only meanings of the word atheism. I am demonstrating that I am not the only nonreligious person saying that atheism can mean more than No Belief.

Toledo Guiding Principles
    http://www.osce.org/odihr/29154
    • Convinced of the need of a human rights education which condemns and seeks to prevent all forms of violence based on hatred and intolerance, in relation with freedom of religion or belief; With understanding that freedom of religion or belief includes theistic, non-theistic and atheistic beliefs, as well as the right not to profess any religion or belief...
    • UN Human Rights Committee, General Comment No.22.48, The Right to Freedom of Thought, Conscience, and Religion (Article 18), (Forty-Eighth Session, 1993) UN Doc. CCPR/C/21 Rev. 1/Add. 4 (1993), reprinted in UN Doc. HRI/GEN/1/Rev. 8 at 194 (2006). Para. 2 reads as follows: “Article 18 protects theistic, non-theistic and atheistic beliefs, as well as the right not to profess any religion or belief. The terms ‘belief’ and ‘religion’ are to be broadly construed. Article 18 is not limited in its application to traditional religions or to religions and beliefs with institutional characteristics or practices analogous to those of traditional religions.”..
    • In what has now become recognized as a landmark decision of general application, the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) has held that: freedom of thought, conscience and religion is one of the foundations of a ‘democratic society’ [...]. It is, in its religious dimension, one of the most vital elements that go to make up the identity of believers and their conception of life, but it is also a precious asset for atheists, agnostics, skeptics and the un- concerned. The pluralism indissociable from a democratic society, which has been dearly won over the centuries, depends on it...
    • In this regard, the Court considers that, in a democratic society, only pluralism in education can enable pupils to develop a critical mind with regard to religious matters in the context of freedom of thought, conscience and religion [...]. In this respect, it should be noted that, as the Court has held on numerous occasions, this freedom, in its religious dimension, is one of the most vital elements that go to make up the identity of believers and their conception of life, but it is also a precious asset for atheists, agnostics, sceptics and the unconcerned...
    Atheist Alliance International
    http://www.atheistalliance.org/about-aai
    • Atheist Alliance International's vision is a secular world where public policy, scientific inquiry and education are not influenced by religious beliefs, but based upon sound reasoning, rationality and evidence.  
    • Atheist Alliance International's mission is to challenge and confront religious faith, to strengthen global atheism by promoting the growth and interaction of atheist/freethought organisations around the world and to undertake international educational and advocacy projects.

Atheist Foundation of Australia
    http://atheistfoundation.org.au/about-us/
    • Atheists find their motive for action in the needs and problems of their fellow citizens and consider that the worship of, or reliance on, imaginary supernatural beings to be a useless waste of time, energy and resources.
    • Atheists reject superstition and prejudice along with the irrational fears they cause. We recognise the complexity and interdependence of life on this planet. As rational and ethical beings we accept the challenge of making a creative and responsible contribution to life.

Afghanistan Atheists Organisation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Afghans-Atheists-Organization/290988360929383
    Our view:
    • Important goals in Afghanistan Tysst creed is:
    • 1. Trying to build a society based on reason and away from any kind of superstition and fool (of religion and tradition) that is worthy of humanity.
    • Two. Trying to build a secular, non-religious and open to all citizens of Afghanistan, and access to natural and human rights.
    • Three. Support, understanding, and promote the evolution of scientific theory (evolution) and other scientific issues in the field of training and education in Afghanistan.

Atheist Freethinkers of Canada
    http://aft.atheisme.ca/manifeste_en.html
    Atheist Manifesto
    • Atheism is the natural state of human beings once they have freed themselves of all mythologies, hoaxes, religions and supernatural spiritualities which may have previously encumbered their minds. Atheism favours our reconciliation with our own humanity by rejecting the alienation caused by baseless and dangerous beliefs. Despite its negative grammatical form, atheism is a positive force.

Dutch Atheist Covenant
    http://atheistischverbond.nl/index.php/artikelen-sp-1021642985/91-introductie/67-over-de-vereniging-atheistisch-verbond-sp-1947422657
    • Not God created man , but man god .
    • The above slogan is the premise of the Atheist Alliance . It is the essence of the difference between believers and non - believers : between theists and a- theïsten.De website of the Atheist Alliance has been operational since mid-2010 . This initiative runs parallel to the founding of the ' Association Atheist Alliance . The Atheist Alliance want with this site and the association initiative in a practical way to give meaning to the promotion and monitoring of the humanistic- atheistic ideology.
    • The organization wants to wear, the atheist vote but also take into account the diversity and individuality among atheists . The Atheist Alliance also wants to be socially involved in several areas . Also, the Atheist Alliance solicited and unsolicited respond to social issues and events that go against the atheistic ideology . This can be done in various ways , such as with reactions in media or (public ) actions , but also by feeding ( if necessary legal ) procedures .

Minnesota Atheists
    Positive Atheism in Action since 1991
    http://mnatheists.org/information/public-policy-positions
    • Minnesota Atheists opposes these religious arguments. We hold that public policy decisions should instead address benefit to society and the rights of individual autonomy. We are a politically diverse community that welcomes as members everyone who opposes religious thinking in public policy, and who advocates consequentially for policies that promote the public good.

Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society
    http://patas.co/patas/about-patas/
    • As atheists and agnostics, the Philippine Atheist and Agnostics Society promotes choice, responsibility, and acknowledgment of the unique self among citizens. We know that all human beings have the inalienable rights to choose and shape their lives. We know that every human being is responsible for his or her own decisions,  and could solve personal problems by solution-based thinking. We know that all human beings, particularly Filipinos, should never have to acknowledge an elite class; each person is unique in intelligence and creativity.
    • We have observed that the detrimental belief systems mentioned above are the fruits of an imposition of outdated religion-based ethics in the society. These organized totalitarian sects insist that God has the power to manipulate our fate, that we are always weak, and there is no one to trust but God and his messiahs. Worse, this kind of thinking does not just keep us off the truth, but affects our personal growth as human beings, as they lead us to laziness, blameable attitude, and fanaticism to the richest personalities in the Philippines.

Spanish Atheist Initiative
    https://iatea.org/revista/spip.php?article10
    • Atea Initiative an international association legally registered (see data). Our main objectives (see our articles for more information) are:
    • Promote discussion between us atheists and agnostics.
    • Extend online atheistic ideas and all speaking countries in Spanish.
    • Spread the news related to atheism, gods, religions, science, skepticism, and related topics.
    • Develop a stable community of non-believers to be of support, discussion, self-improvement and entertainment as well as serve as a breeding ground for partnerships atheistic in all countries speaking in Spanish.
    • Promote establishment of secularism and the defense of civil rights and liberties of atheists in the different countries, especially those speaking in Spanish.
    • Atheists believe that there is no god, and that religions are an invention of man. Abhor ultraconservative ideas, reactionary and intolerant who preach most religions. We also believe that life has no purpose beyond that everyone wants to give, and that after death there is nothing. Atheists also are mostly skeptics do not believe in anything that can not be analyzed by the scientific method.

Atheism UK
    http://www.atheismuk.com/about/principles/
    The following key Principles inform our policies and decisions.
    • Humans have fabricated religion
    • Religious texts are flawed and as fallible as the humans who wrote them. They must be criticized, challenged and, where appropriate, satirized or denounced.
    • Religious organizations and communities must not receive privileges and immunities, such as tax benefits and protection from criticism or satire, which are denied to the non-religious population.
    • God or gods do not exist
    • Morality develops independently of religion
    • Religion inhibits rational thought

Daylight Atheism website
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2006/06/atheism-as-a-positive-worldview/
    It is in our power, if we so choose, to live lives of freedom, happiness and accomplishment free of the burdensome weight of religious superstition. With this in mind, I offer a set of talking points that concisely explain why atheism can and should be considered a positive worldview.
    Atheism is a positive worldview because…
    • …it gives a deeper appreciation for and sense of spirituality toward the cosmos.
    • 
…it imbues our lives with the knowledge that our goals really matter.
    • 
…it offers the freedom to make up your own mind and choose your own direction in life.
    • 
…it offers freedom from the fear of arbitrary divine wrath.
    • 
…it offers morality superior to that of ancient texts.
    • 
…it offers hope for the future.
    I'm all for teaching the options and history of non-belief to kids (along with an overview of the believer stuff), but a headline suggesting 'Atheist Ireland to develop a course teaching about atheism in schools' makes my teeth hurt. So yes, it's the use of the word, not the content of the lessons.
    That sounds like you need a dentist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Teach an ethics class with positive elements from religion

That presupposes there are any.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Afghanistan Atheists Organisation

Hmm they've a bit more to worry about than whether their kids will be colouring in during religion class...
    Atheism UK
    The following key Principles inform our policies and decisions.
    • God or gods do not exist

Slightly more gnostic than Dawkins there :pac: a 7.0 to his 6.9, perhaps?

Scrap the cap!

Well, I can't unilaterally start to change the meanings of words, and I don't want to. But whether or not you fundamentally disagree, the meanings of words change. It happens all of the time. Continuously. Dictionaries retrospectively record some of those changes, but dictionary definitions do not cause words to have meanings.

Quite so, but the implication here is that dictionary definitions tend to be significantly out of date much of the time, whereas dictionaries are revised regularly. I'm guessing that the meaning you attribute to the word atheist has seen very many dictionary revisions come and go, yet the dictionary definition of atheist hasn't changed in recent decades. Nor are dictionary revisions conservative, as we see words such as selfie and twerking making it into the OED. Taking a 1999 year old Collins dictionary off my shelf, I note it already has words such as wingdings, but again the same defintion of atheist. Even then, the printed edition was getting new revisions every two years. So for a bit of fun, I looked up the 1828 Noah Webster definition of atheist, and still get a very familiar definition;
    A'THEIST, n. [Gr. of a priv. and God.]

One who disbelieves the existence of a God, or Supreme intelligent Being.
    A'THEIST, a. Atheistical; disbelieving or denying the being of a Supreme God.

This implies that the part of your definition of atheist that includes a notion of a shared world view is not yet broadly accepted, and the accepted definition has not in fact changed in the last two centuries. Is there any consensus outside of atheist organisations that such a change is necessary? My own opinion is that your use of the term atheism in its broader context needs to be qualified, e.g. organised atheism, political atheism, etc..., as using the unqualified term at this point in time to imply inclusion of a shared worldview is incorrect.

Given the above, I don't think Dade's previous post can be so easily dismissed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What kind of religious education do kids at an ET school get? Do priests go into the class room from time to time to give their speil or is it more ethics and humanism?

jank wrote: »
    What kind of religious education do kids at an ET school get? Do priests go into the class room from time to time to give their speil or is it more ethics and humanism?

Possibly varies from school to school. My two went to RMDS (Renelagh) and there were no priests, a bit of comparative religion, and a dash of introspection / reflection.

Thanks for the response, Michael. :)
    “Some people who share a belief also sharing certain other ideals” is one of the ways that the meanings of words change over time, or at least is a contributory factor to such changes. How do you think words like left-wing, right-wing, conservative, liberal, green etc got the political meanings that are part of their multiple meanings?
    "Left-wing, right-wing, conservative, liberal, green" etc are all descriptions that are open to interpretation. They relate to ideals and have none of the simplicity of a definition that has always pertained to a lack of belief. All of those labels suggest a worldview in some shape, a positive agreement or disagreement with a societal issue which can be open to interpretation.

There is no such thing as “what the word (atheism) has always meant.” It has meant many different things over the generations.
    • It has meant ‘without god' or 'without gods’ - note, not without 'belief in gods’, but without 'gods'.
    • It has meant immoral or wicked
    • It has meant rejection of god or gods
    • It has meant rejection of belief in god or gods
    • It has meant believing there is no god
    • It has meant not believing there is a god
    • It has meant the doctrine (i.e. belief or set of beliefs) that there is no god
    All of the above, bar the one in bold are variations on the same thing. None of them stray into the realm of suggesting a common code of ethics or agreement on worldviews. The one in bold is not a definition. Sure, people did and still do believe atheists are immoral and wicked - but this is because of what atheists are - which is without gods (specifically, theirs!) - and their perception of what someone without God is likely to be. A perception we know to be unfounded.
    Also, there is no common thing that all people who self-identify as atheists have in common. Opinion polls commonly show a small number of people who self-identify as atheists who say they believe in a god.
    A very small percentage of the population believe they are extra-terrestrials, too. But what they believe (incorrectly) doesn't change the definition of an extra-terrestrial to fit their delusion.
    Here are some extracts from some organisations and websites. Some are translated by google translate, so follow the links for context. I am not arguing that these examples are the only meanings of the word atheism. I am demonstrating that I am not the only nonreligious person saying that atheism can mean more than No Belief.
    I don't have time to really dig into these, but my impression is that this is a list of organisations also using the world atheist in their name who espouse similar views to AI. Are any of them actually suggesting that atheism can now be defined as more than the traditional meaning, or are they just self-identified atheists who share common ideals?

Possibly varies from school to school. My two went to RMDS (Renelagh) and there were no priests, a bit of comparative religion, and a dash of introspection / reflection.

Isnt that the danger though. If Atheist Ireland are going to offer a 'course' on atheism in ET schools then other groups will feel they have the right to offer their own courses in ET schools.

Isnt that the danger though. If Atheist Ireland are going to offer a 'course' on atheism in ET schools then other groups will feel they have the right to offer their own courses in ET schools.

Wouldn't bother me too much; if the kids want to experiment with different religions they're free to do so. Similarly if the school was to invite an imam, rabbi, or buddhist monk in for any given class to explain their belief system, I wouldn't really have any problem with it. I don't see any danger in it, and in many ways feel that the wider variety of different belief systems they're exposed to, the easier it becomes to figure out their own beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

If the local hippy vegie society was asked to come in to show the kid's how to grow and manage a small crop isn't that ok or not, or how to hatch eggs. ..

Isn't that what equality is all about, educate together.

Would you prefer an all inclusive atheist only school, teaching about the dangers of religion and the delights of materialism etc. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Geomy wrote: »
    Would you prefer an all inclusive atheist only school, teaching about the dangers of religion and the delights of materialism etc. ...

Catholics learn all about materialism from their greedy, grasping church.

I wouldn't say religion is the opposite to materialism as you would suggest. Look at the Catholic Church, all the material possessions, fine arts, magnificent buildings--you don't see Buddhist monks carrying on like that.
    School should teach people about honesty, friendship, respect, not putting yourself above others. These are all things the Church dramatically fails to do, it may aspire to, but consistently fails. The school system should be taken from the church and led by the state. If you want your child to have a religious upbringing then bring them to an after school class, just my opinion. That includes Atheist belief's or non belief's ! a section on "religion" would be good in school covering all belief systems but not putting one above the other.
    You don't need a religion to know right from wrong and how to behave, so why teach one particular belief system ?

• Advertisement

If the local hippy vegie society was asked to come in to show the kid's how to grow and manage a small crop isn't that ok or not, or how to hatch eggs. ..

That is pretty much exactly what it is about. The fact that someone would go into their local ET school and show them how grow veggies and keep chickens would be great. It doesn't need to be codified as part of a curriculum, or passed by a national committee, just that the staff and parents think it would be beneficial. Youngest's day in RMDS today includes taking an hour out of school to learn some yoga. All good IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Catholics learn all about materialism from their greedy, grasping church.

Sure don't I know that, I have often discussed that in the Christianity forum.

Oh sure but I can imagine some parents reaction when they are informed that the local RCC priest is going to do a week long talk about virtues of Catholicism. ET schools could turn into a floor for lobbying each groups beliefs systems. It could be fine or it could be a disaster.

Youngest's day in RMDS today includes taking an hour out of school to learn some yoga..
    Uh oh.. there's Buddhism getting in through the back door
    (only joking) :D

I see in this thread there are a few atheist cats up in a tree, hissing and spitting at the cat-herd below :)

Meanwhile in the real world, a govt. Advisory Group has reported back to Ruairi Quinn with recommendations to set up a new program to be called Education about Religion and Beliefs (ERB)
    There's more on this in the "school patronage" thread.
    Education about Religion and Beliefs (ERB), and Ethics
    The Advisory Group is of the view that all children have the right to receive education in ERB and Ethics and the State has the responsibility to ensure that this is provided. The Advisory Group requests that the NCCA, with assistance from the partners and mindful of existing programmes, should develop curriculum and teacher guidelines for ERB and Ethics, in line with the Toledo Principles, the RedCo, and the Cambridge Primary Review.
    The Advisory Group has a particular concern for those children who do not participate in religious programmes in denominational schools. They may go through their primary schooling without any ERB and ethical education. For these children, the proposed programmes in ERB and Ethics are of central importance.
    For other children, where programmes, already in existence, provide for some ERB and Ethics, the proposed NCCA programmes can be supplementary and the amount of the new programmes provided may be flexible within existing timetable provision.
    Whether through accident or design (and I'd guess the latter) the new Atheist Ireland course seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

Oh sure but I can imagine some parents reaction when they are informed that the local RCC priest is going to do a week long talk about virtues of Catholicism. ET schools could turn into a floor for lobbying each groups beliefs systems. It could be fine or it could be a disaster.

I don't think anyone would get much more than an hour or so in fairness, any more than that and the little pagans would doubtless turn on the poor padre. Not the easiest audience for a RCC priest left without his usual array of carrots and sticks to keep things moving along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Atheism hasn't changed its meaning over time. The word is simple A-Theism; Without God.

That's it - no extra baggage attached.

I have this terrible fear that Atheist Ireland is turning this definition for its own agenda; from everyone's individual non-belief into a worldview with certain perspectives. No other ideas, however common to a vast majority of atheists, can be lumped into the definition of atheist for convenience.

recedite wrote: »
    Meanwhile in the real world, a govt. Advisory Group has reported back to Ruairi Quinn with recommendations to set up a new program to be called Education about Religion and Beliefs (ERB)
    There's more on this in the "school patronage" thread.
    Education about Religion and Beliefs (ERB), and Ethics
    The Advisory Group is of the view that all children have the right to receive education in ERB and Ethics and the State has the responsibility to ensure that this is provided. The Advisory Group requests that the NCCA, with assistance from the partners and mindful of existing programmes, should develop curriculum and teacher guidelines for ERB and Ethics, in line with the Toledo Principles, the RedCo, and the Cambridge Primary Review.
    The Advisory Group has a particular concern for those children who do not participate in religious programmes in denominational schools. They may go through their primary schooling without any ERB and ethical education. For these children, the proposed programmes in ERB and Ethics are of central importance.
    For other children, where programmes, already in existence, provide for some ERB and Ethics, the proposed NCCA programmes can be supplementary and the amount of the new programmes provided may be flexible within existing timetable provision.

Whether through accident or design (and I'd guess the latter) the new Atheist Ireland course seems to fit the bill quite nicely.
    The above reads so much better than "Ireland’s first primary school course about atheism". And far less likely to confuse or alarm people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I think I'm going to have to start calling myself an Orthodox Atheist to divorce myself from the New Atheism which is metastasising and plaguing what was formerly a respectful individual position.

• Advertisement

I think I'm going to have to start calling myself an Orthodox Atheist to divorce myself from the New Atheism which is metastasising and plaguing what was formerly a respectful individual position.

Probably better of as an unorthodox atheist, unless you believe atheism has an orthodoxy. But if then if atheism doesn't have an orthodoxy, unorthodox atheism is also wrong so we're back to plain ol' atheism. I wouldn't start adding random capitals either, as people will think you've joined a cult.

Feck it all, I'm off to join the Peoples Front of Judea.

Advertisement