Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats

• 22-09-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭

I went to see Cats recently in the Grand Canal Theatre, and I was just wondering what anybody else thought of it (either there or elsewhere)?

I thought it was kind of bizarre to be honest... I did enjoy it, but it wouldn't be one I'd rave about or go see a second time. I felt like they spent so much time introducing characters that they just didn't use! And there was only really one memorable song (no pun intended :P).

I can see why it might have been popular when it was first released...the level of interaction with the audience and I suppose 'breaking the mold' compared to other musicals of the time. But if it was released for the first time today, would it have the same staying power?

I'm just having trouble seeing how it is/was so popular! Just curious to see what others think :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nmrmcs

Hi :)

I also saw Cats at the bord gais over the summer and I really enjoyed it but I knew the soundtrack well before I saw the show (maybe that made it more interesting?) Some of the show is a little boring-bordering on unnecessary to include in the show but overall if you allow yourself to get drawn into the show without questioning the realism of it it is a nice show with a number of catchy numbers and great choreography-nothing on POTO or some more modern musicals with a deep storyline but none the less entertaining and an enjoyable day out :)
    Considering it is a musical set to pre-existing poetry by T.S Elliot about cats I think Lloyd Webber did a better job than I would be able to :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks for your feedback nmrmcs :D

Yeah I agree that it's enjoyable alright, but I guess I'm just more used to a more solid storyline. I suppose I just didn't really know what to expect (wasn't familiar with the story or the songs). Some bits I found a bit strange though
    like the whole pirate thing and the weird spaceship looking thing near the end... one of my friends thought it was a Christmas tree!
    nmrmcs wrote: »
    Considering it is a musical set to pre-existing poetry by T.S Elliot about cats I think Lloyd Webber did a better job than I would be able to :P

Ah see I didn't know that; you learn something new every day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nmrmcs

No problem woodchuck :)

yeah, i've found that most of the time people go to the show because they have heard about it so much but they don't know anything about the 'storyline'/background to the show. I can appreciate how confusing that would be as an audience member!!
    The growl tiger/pirate scence could defo be done away with- I love musicals but even my attention was waning at this point! As for the christmas tree looking UFO, that it the vehicle used to bring Grizabella to the heaviside layer (the place cats go to become reborn and have another chance at a new Jellicle life...a kinda heavenly reincarnation place if thats what you're into :D...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TravelingMan

woodchuck wrote: »
    I went to see Cats recently in the Grand Canal Theatre, and I was just wondering what anybody else thought of it (either there or elsewhere)?

I thought it was kind of bizarre to be honest... I did enjoy it, but it wouldn't be one I'd rave about or go see a second time. I felt like they spent so much time introducing characters that they just didn't use! And there was only really one memorable song (no pun intended :P).

I can see why it might have been popular when it was first released...the level of interaction with the audience and I suppose 'breaking the mold' compared to other musicals of the time. But if it was released for the first time today, would it have the same staying power?

I'm just having trouble seeing how it is/was so popular! Just curious to see what others think :)

I love how fluffy and warm they are. The real ones. Really want to see the musical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

This was the first musical I ever saw! I was 8 years old and we were visiting NYC and it was the 80s, so Cats was the Broadway show to see. I loved it. I still have a vivid memory :D of one of the "Cats" coming up to me in the audience during the opening number and looking me right in the face for a few seconds. Freaked me out a little, but he got my attention and I was intrigued.

I know a lot of people don't like it because of the story line issues, but it's a sentimental favorite of mine. I also grew up to love T.S. Eliot poetry (and I didn't know it was based on his poems until college), so I just think it's fabulous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭emo72

I know a lot of people don't like it because of the story line issues,

help me out here, whats the issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

emo72 wrote: »

It's based on a poem and is at least 2 hours too long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

emo72 wrote: »

There's no plot

Advertisement