Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stopping my new dog attacking our cat

• 22-09-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

So basicly we got our 2nd dog the other day a border collie Labrador cross a 1 year old neuteredmale to go with our existing 3 year old female collie the two of them are getting on great, but a massive problem has arisen our cat practicly has the run of the place aswell gypsy our own collie loves the cat so much so that she sleeps with hom sometimes but this new dog hates him and three times has gone for him I dont know what to my oh is close to tears. O ver this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Excuse the grammer too on my phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

How long have you had the new dog? These things take time , my jack Russell wanted nothing to do with our new cat when she arrived and was quite aggressive towards her. I kept the cat in a crate and introduced them slowly, the dog being on a leash at all times, any time the dog barked, growled or snarled she was led away after a stern but calm "NO". It took about two weeks but now two years later they tolerate each other with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just got him friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

That's no length at all, take the time to introduce them slowly and never leave them alone together until you trust your dog 100%. Give the dog treats for every good encounter and good behaviour. Give the dog some time to settle in, this is all very new for him/her too and may never have seen a cat in its life before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

When I was introducing our dog to the cat I tied the dog on a long lead and sat just out of reach rubbing the cat and throwing treats at the dog. Then I slowly got closer and closer to the dog while still giving treats. Then after time let the dog and cat get close enough to touch and if dog goes for cat say 'no' or 'arghh' or whatever command you use to say no. The key for us was for the cat to stand her ground against the dog. Once the cat didn't run away the dog stopped trying to chase.
    In our case the dog was there first so not sure if that makes a difference!

• Advertisement
Advertisement