Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dennehy's cross road layout

Options
  • 22-09-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I had a shouting match with some tool bag today after coming from the Wilton direction through Dennehy's cross, I was in the right hand lane and there was a line of cars in the left hand lane which doubles as a bus lane at certain times, at the end of the left / bus lane there is a broken white line there is no such line in the right lane so I kept on going as I usually do and a shouting match ensued with tool bag, has anyone else had this experience at this junction and why do people assume the left hand lane assume they have right of way when you have to filter back in to right hand lane at the end of the bus lane?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

lynchieboy wrote: »
    I was in the right hand lane and there was a line of cars in the left hand lane which doubles as a bus lane at certain times, at the end of the left / bus lane there is a broken white line there is no such line in the right lane so I kept on going as I usually do

Happens all the time there. The only solution imo would be to put up those red-and-white things that prevent lane changing to stop the knobs who queue in that lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Clearly, they don't know that you give way to the right...

I tend to ignore them and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

This has been bugging me since they changed the layout recently.

Previously, right lane was the driving lane and it split into two. You would have to merge left into the bus lane (after it ended and became a driving lane) to go straight on it left, as the majority of tragic did.

Now, the traffic in the right lane has right of way over the bus lane which you are forged into by cross hatchlings in the right lane..

This is where the confusion arises. Everyone merges into the bus lane and ploughs straight on as before, taking no notice that the left lane now must yield to the right lane.

The new layout is **** by the way, just forced traffic into a bottleneck where two lanes become one, as opposed to previously where there were 2 separae lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i drive this every day, sometimes twice a day and have the EXACT same issues as you as those in the bus lane think they have right of way (and i pass when the bus lane is in operation)

for me though i turn right at the junction so if the way is clear (and traffic is queuing in the left (bus) lane) i indicate right and go down the old second lane rather than trying to fight my way in only to go back into the right lane a car space or two later.

the odd times i needed to turn left, i almost lost the left side of my car to somebody who refuses to give way to traffic in the traffic lane.

Wouldn't take much to idiot proof that lane. A line of these surely wouldn't cost too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Part of the problem is that, as far as I know, further back from the junction toward Wilton, the arrows for that lane still indicate that you use the driving lane to turn right only...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've emailed the council requesting yield signage in the part, maybe if more people emailed as well they might do something? Recently I've just kept to the bus lane (when it's allowed) as asserting the right of way is too stressful. Of course I yield to the right.

The system in an ideal world would be great during bus lane hours as the bus would get to skip the majority of the traffic, unfortunately you get people prematurely using that lane when they're not supposed to and making it useless from a green route point of view.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Recently I've just kept to the bus lane (when it's allowed)

I just stay out of that lane altogether because I'm not sure that crossing the continuous white line is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Ahh.. the two lanes merging into one. There's plenty of places that this happens in Cork and it just plain confuses me and boils the blood in equal measure.

I've seen too many accidents nearly happen turning left from DeVelera bridge on to Albert Quay too. And that's not even two lanes becoming one.

I just stay out of that lane altogether because I'm not sure that crossing the continuous white line is legal.
    There was a thread about this a few months ago, legally it's a different line to the continuous white line you can't cross. Can't remember the actual numbers, but the law says you can't cross something like rm001 (continuous white line of a certain width), and the line for a bus lane is an entirely different number and width. Entirely different line, functionally and legally.

• Advertisement

A lot of people don't realise that the bus lane is only operational from 4-6pm weekdays. It is not a 24h Bus Lane.

A lot of people don't realise that the bus lane is only operational from 4-6pm weekdays. It is not a 24h Bus Lane.
    Isn't there a 8.30 to 9.30 in the mornings too?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Isn't there a 8.30 to 9.30 in the mornings too?

Yes, there is. Forgot about that...

Yes, there is. Forgot about that...
    Now we know!

knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

7.30am to 9.30am and 4.30pm to 6.30pm I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Happens all the time there. The only solution imo would be to put up those red-and-white things that prevent lane changing to stop the knobs who queue in that lane.

I wonder are the lanes too narrow for these, especially for the buses. Maybe having the right hand lane as straight on and the left one for turning left and no right turn to UCC? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused - you were in the right hand lane so you were going right - is that correct? The right hand lane is for going right and the left hand lane is for going left or straight on - so are you saying that the cars in the left lane were trying to get into the right hand lane? Why wouldn't they just stay in the right hand lane to begin with?

Sorry if I've confused things more....!

leahyl wrote: »
    Sorry if I've confused things more....!

I think he means that when you're coming down the right hand lane there's a ghost island that forces you into the left even if you do intend to turn right.

Loire wrote: »
    I wonder are the lanes too narrow for these, especially for the buses.

Plenty of room if there's no cyclist to avoid I reckon.
    Maybe having the right hand lane as straight on and the left one for turning left and no right turn to UCC? :eek:

I think they need to move that junction back about 50 meters and allow cars that intend to turn right go straight on without having to move into the left lane.

I think he means that when you're coming down the right hand lane there's a ghost island that forces you into the left even if you do intend to turn right.

Oh right, please tell me that's new?! I've never noticed that before!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

that new layout is an accident waiting to happen if it hasnt happened already which i strongly suspect it has

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    that new layout is an accident waiting to happen if it hasnt happened already which i strongly suspect it has

Haven't driven out there in a while - looks like a disaster alright. I don't understand why they did it though - is there a bus lane outbound now as well?

Oh right, please tell me that's new?! I've never noticed that before!!

Not entirely sure but the ghost islands are there a few weeks at least.

Haven't driven out there in a while - looks like a disaster alright. I don't understand why they did it though - is there a bus lane outbound now as well?

the bus lane is still inbound but i suspect they'll try and take one of the lanes from victoria cross to dennehys cross outbound and make that a bus lane as well,they should remove the ghost island and revert back to the old way,i'd say even the gardai are annoyed with that layout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the bus lane is still inbound but i suspect they'll try and take one of the lanes from victoria cross to dennehys cross outbound and make that a bus lane as well,they should remove the ghost island and revert back to the old way,i'd say even the gardai are annoyed with that layout

its just so infuriating, i had a van blast me (or the car behind me im not sure which) out of it i had to stop before the yellow box (because the exit wasn't clear) and when it was i proceeded (checking my left to make sure it was clear) he came flying down the bus lane (to avoid the traffic behind me) and blasted me for cutting in on 'his' lane.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    its just so infuriating, i had a van blast me (or the car behind me im not sure which) out of it i had to stop before the yellow box (because the exit wasn't clear) and when it was i proceeded (checking my left to make sure it was clear) he came flying down the bus lane (to avoid the traffic behind me) and blasted me for cutting in on 'his' lane.

So he was wrong? He shouldn't have been in the bus lane right? :mad:

So he was wrong? He shouldn't have been in the bus lane right? :mad:

my understanding is only taxis cyclists buses and wheelchairs powered by motors can use a with flow bus lane which that particular one is, driver cpc courses for non professional drivers next possibly???some people think just because they have a full licence they're driving experts,i wonder how many of them actually took driving tests/up to date on the ROTR???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

some people think just because they have a full licence they're driving experts

This x ∞

When we pass the test we're meeting minimum requirements rather than getting a medal for expertise.

Driving is a life skill and we should be striving constantly to improve.
    it's only a bus lane during the posted hours not permanently

He's highlighting that most people who queue in the bus lane are unaware that they must yield at the yellow box junction to traffic coming from the RHL.

Traffic on the RHL has right-of-way regardless of what time of the day it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement