Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dennehy's cross road layout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

This post has been deleted.

post-24030-mark-wahlberg-confused-speechl-qY5h.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Have you checked the Road markings? The Right hand land has a right only arrow, indicating you must turn Right when in the Right hand lane.The bus Lane ceases to be bus-only about 100 metres before the junction and traffic turning left or going straight ahead should move into this lane BEFORE arriving on the junction. If you were in the Right hand lane and decided to go straight ahead then I could understand the confused driver in the left lane. The layout is fairly logical IMO, given the constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

moceri wrote: »
    Have you checked the Road markings? The Right hand land has a right only arrow, indicating you must turn Right when in the Right hand lane.The bus Lane ceases to be bus-only about 100 metres before the junction and traffic turning left or going straight ahead should move into this lane BEFORE arriving on the junction. If you were in the Right hand lane and decided to go straight ahead then I could understand the confused driver in the left lane. The layout is fairly logical IMO, given the constraints.
    I have checked the road markings several times, there is a broken white line at the end of the bus / left hand lane no such line in the right hand lane, I will just have to take a picture, It seems too complicated to explain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

lynchieboy wrote: »
    I have checked the road markings several times, there is a broken white line at the end of the bus / left hand lane no such line in the right hand lane, I will just have to take a picture, It seems too complicated to explain!
    Google satellite imagery released last month shows the layout quite clearly. Link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That is confusing alright but cars in the right hand lane are not crossing any lines. Their lane clearly veers to the left so they have right of way I imagine. Anything coming from the bus lane is essentially changing lanes and had to yield is how I would see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Ludo wrote: »
    That is confusing alright but cars in the right hand lane are not crossing any lines. Their lane clearly veers to the left so they have right of way I imagine. Anything coming from the bus lane is essentially changing lanes and had to yield is how I would see it.

That's exactly correct. The right hand lane does a "Z" and the left hand lane just ends abruptly, having to yield to the traffic on the right. But nobody seems to have noticed this! Most still cut into the left land about 500 metres before the junction.

The thing I'm most pissed off about is the amount of tax payers money that has been wasted on such a ridiculous and unnecessary road layout change. All for what? So the bus lane can have an extra few metres during peak times, and yet still need to yield to ALL traffic (those turning left, right or straight ahead), rather than just competing with those going left/straight as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I personally have changed the way I go to work in the mornings because of this new layout, its not worth the headache in the mornings dealing with planks. It was always a bit of a pain in the arse the old way with dopes moving into the bus lane way too early but you could get over that, this new layout with longer bus lane and random ghost island teamed with left lane stopping and giving way to the right is mental. There will be many tips until they change it, not worth the headache persoanlly to me at that hour of the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Crasp wrote: »
    The thing I'm most pissed off about is the amount of tax payers money that has been wasted on such a ridiculous and unnecessary road layout change.

Pales in comparison to Skehard Road. The traffic planner in this city is a buffoon with no respect for money or value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Now that I've seen the overhead view, I'm not surprised there are incidents. The left-hand lane just ceases to exist, with the right-hand lane cutting across? If you trying to design a junction to cause an accident, you'd be hardpressed to do better.

You have to remember too, not everyone is familiar with the layout and when traffic is busy you won't be able to see the line markings. "Drive defensively" is all I'll say (as opposed to "bulldoze through and rely on the other guy being 100% compliant").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

TheChizler wrote: »
    Google satellite imagery released last month shows the layout quite clearly. Link.

That's the old layout it was changed after that.

ofcork wrote: »
    That's the old layout it was changed after that.
    :confused: That's what I drive through every day... Are you still on the old version of Google Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have not had to drive down this road in a while.

This new layout is ridiculous, how can you justify ending a lane so abruptly with cars travelling at that speed. This layout is nuts. It is one of the stupidest things I have seen in my life.

What an absolute balls of a job. I was just passing tonight and noticed that on top of everything the bus stop, heading southbound, is directly opposite the ghost island meaning that even if it's clear for a mile in front of the bus any cars behind a stopped No. 8 bus are trapped and perhaps backed up enough to be clogging up Dennehy's X.

Also 'disaster junction' is directly opposite the church entrance too which must mean it's a pain in the nuts for drivers coming out of mass.

It's a pathetic attempt at managing traffic. Truly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just don't understand it; why "fix" something that isn't broken?? Seemed to be working fine before. They must be fierce bored in City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

This new layout is ridiculous, how can you justify ending a lane so abruptly with cars travelling at that speed. This layout is nuts. It is one of the stupidest things I have seen in my life.

Par for the course in the Cork area Outkast , beggars belief :eek:
    Some of the roundabouts , road markings in Cork are fookin Nuts tbh .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

its a 50km/h road and with the traffic lights backing up traffic cars rarely go above 30km/h so speed isn't really a factor its just a ridiculous junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

On paper, this junction makes perfect sense. Nobody should be in the bus lane except buses which will need to yield to the traffic lane on the right when the bus lane ends (although you'd need to be a right pr*ck not to yield to a bus anyway). Simple as!

In reality, because people are used to the old way, and have no worries about driving in a bus lane, they plough through the end of the bus lane without yielding to their right.

The bus lane ends and must yield to the right. The general traffic lane has right of way and I don't hesitate in using it at this junction. Perhaps a proper yield right of way sign at the end of the bus lane would be useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

On paper, this junction makes perfect sense. Nobody should be in the bus lane except buses which will need to yield to the traffic lane on the right when the bus lane ends (although you'd need to be a right pr*ck not to yield to a bus anyway). Simple as!

In reality, because people are used to the old way, and have no worries about driving in a bus lane, they plough through the end of the bus lane without yielding to their right.

The bus lane ends and must yield to the right. The general traffic lane has right of way and I don't hesitate in using it at this junction. Perhaps a proper yield right of way sign at the end of the bus lane would be useful?

The bus lane is only a bus lane for 20 hours a week IIRC. The vast majority of the week, it is a / the driving lane.

So, if you're approaching that junction from the Wilton side and turning right, you have to move across to the left lane for a few metres (assuming those in the left-lane are aware of the arrangement and rightly give way), then back into the right-hand lane to turn right? What's the benefit of that island?

It seems to me (from looking at some of the other work around the city) there's a lot of "over engineering" going on, a lot of work and expense but with little material benefit, and a lot of complexity and confusion being added.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

The bus lane is only a bus lane for 20 hours a week IIRC. The vast majority of the week, it is a / the driving lane.

yeah but if you want the right of way at the yellow box being in the right lane gives it to you so its easier/better to just not use the (left lane) bus lane at all....

hoodwinked wrote: »
    yeah but if you want the right of way at the yellow box being in the right lane gives it to you so its easier/better to just not use the (left lane) bus lane at all....

Indeed - which just reduces two usable lanes to just one, solely because of the addition of a traffic island which serves no genuine purpose that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Another fault with the new layout is missing the first green light when coming from Wilton and turning right. Inevitably there is a bottle neck with the 2 lanes trying to merge just before the ghost island. By the time this clears after a green light, traffic has been given the green light coming from town and it is impossible to turn right. Previously I could keep in the RHS lane all the way down and be at the crossroads when the lights first turn green without any opposition.

I don't blame other drivers though, this is a genuinely confusing junction and is poorly signposted with conflicting road markings further back on the road.

If the council want to keep the new layout, they should make the bus lane 24h/7 and remove all ambiguity. This is still a waste of road space however. The best solution would be to revert to the previous layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I wish I still had my old van with its big bull bars, never had a problem ( or a scrach ) back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

had another encounter with the layout of this stupid junction,the council should revert it back to 2 lanes and remove the ghost island. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I live on Model Farm Road and no longer drive down Wilton Road as Dennehy's is just a nightmare junction now. Maybe a lobby is needed to revert the lanes to 2 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I live on Model Farm Road and no longer drive down Wilton Road as Dennehy's is just a nightmare junction now. Maybe a lobby is needed to revert the lanes to 2 again.

Of all road changes in recent years only 2 were not reverted back to their original state,well road and dennehy's cross

Wyldwood wrote: »

Half the problem (during rush hour at least) is the Lee Road/Wellington Bridge/Sundays Well junction, traffic going to Blarney constantly backs right up to Dennehys Cross, purely (I think!) due to the stop line at Wellington Bridge. There are new traffic lights installed there which have yet to be switched on, hopefully these would sort out the backlog back to Victoria cross and hence Dennehys cross as every car would not have to stop at the line on which is functionally a main route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi,

Can anyone advise who has the right here...coming down Wilton Road (during Bus Lane hours)...at church entrance there's a yellow box. Do the cars already in the left hand lane (on the bus lane) or the cars in the right hand lane (who now want to join the "correct" lane (left one) for going left/straight on) have the right of way?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Advertisement

Loire wrote: »
    Do the cars already in the left hand lane (on the bus lane) or the cars in the right hand lane (who now want to join the "correct" lane (left one) for going left/straight on) have the right of way?

The cars moving in the RHL have right of way at all times - a dashed line where the LHL meets the yellow box junction indicates that cars in that lane should yield to traffic in the RHL.

Advertisement