Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dennehy's cross road layout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

The cars moving in the RHL have right of way at all times - a dashed line where the LHL meets the yellow box junction indicates that cars in that lane should yield to traffic in the RHL.

That's always been my opinion too, but each time I try and enter the LHL either when traffic is moving or stopped I get blown at...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Loire wrote: »
    each time I try and enter the LHL either when traffic is moving or stopped I get blown at...:(

I Ignore the horn-blowers, push on, and don't let it bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Loire wrote: »
    That's always been my opinion too, but each time I try and enter the LHL either when traffic is moving or stopped I get blown at...:(
    this is a fact,some (but not all) full licensed drivers haven't a clue of what the rules of the road are,Learner drivers know more as they are the ones studying the rules inside out for their tests,next time someone beeps the horn let them,you are entitled to take your position,one thing I do need proper clarification on though is the use of bus lanes,i never use them,however outside peak times I have been told anybody can use them,that information coming from a driver cpc instructor by the way.but I seriously question that part,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The cars moving in the RHL have right of way at all times - a dashed line where the LHL meets the yellow box junction indicates that cars in that lane should yield to traffic in the RHL.
    Exactly.
    But drivers should be careful if they are in the RHL, those in the left may not be aware of this layout, even more so if it's bumper to bumper.

It looks like they have extended the bus lane all the way towards the end of the road (I think it used to stop at the end of the previous junction). I guess this is help the bus make better time in the mornings.
    And by giving right of way to traffic in the RHL, it perhaps was designed to encourage drivers to remain in the RHL and not use the bus lane at any time.

Exactly.
    But drivers should be careful if they are in the RHL, those in the left may not be aware of this layout, even more so if it's bumper to bumper.

It looks like they have extended the bus lane all the way towards the end of the road (I think it used to stop at the end of the previous junction). I guess this is help the bus make better time in the mornings.
    And by giving right of way to traffic in the RHL, it perhaps was designed to encourage drivers to remain in the RHL and not use the bus lane at any time.
    just found out "with flow" bus lanes can indeed be used but only outside peak hours,so if traffic in a bus lane is bumper to bumper,most of the time it would appear that is a peak time,but then you have people who cross the white line to get into the bus lane firstly and secondly don't indicate,only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    only in Ireland :rolleyes:
    I've driven in a few countries, definitely not only in Ireland.

I've driven in a few countries, definitely not only in Ireland.
    never been outside the country in my life ,but in your opinion where would you rank Ireland???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I got caught here last week. I haven't driven that road in years but was coming out of CUH and had to go to the city so headed down that way. As per usual traffic was merging into the left lane (bus lane) well before the junction so I did as well. A fella in the right hand lane gave me a blow of the horn as i was cutting him off as he was trying to go straight on from the right. He was right, i was wrong and I acknowledged same. I only saw the new layout as I got to the lights.

In the past if you waited to get to the end of the bus lane before merging you wouldn't get into the left hand lane as traffic would gun it to make the green light and no one would let you in, you'd miss the green light and hold up the traffic trying to turn right too.

It a bloody nightmare of a place and really needs to be rethought.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    never been outside the country in my life ,but in your opinion where would you rank Ireland???
    Friends of mine have been in some of the South Asian countries and it's crazyville.
    I've driven in the UK (found it similar to here), France (Paris was fun, reminded me of driving up Barrack street), a number of places in the US (first time on a 5 lane highway was nervy with traffic merging/over-under-taking from both sides), Canada (kinda like here).

I'm no where near an expect on where we'd rank, but many of the issues we have on our roads/streets isn't much different to other countries in my experience.

Was in London at the weekend and saw a Tesco truck driver come round the corner and he was staring at his phone. He wasn't going that fast, and he had the green light, but if some oblivious person was crossing......

BTW, avoid Uno restaurant in Pimlico, we'd a 40min wait for a standard breakkie. One of the lads teased 'only in Ireland' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This thread shows why I have now completely avoiding going south on the Wilton Road since they redid the junction. It is quite literally dangerous.

• Advertisement

This thread shows why I have now completely avoiding going south on the Wilton Road since they redid the junction. It is quite literally dangerous.
    they'll wait until there is a serious accident or a fatality there before anything is done,but itsall about people power,look at the roundabout to lights to roundabout situation by deanrock industrial state in togher,they got petitions drawn up and signed and it eventually worked,just remember the local elections are fast approaching,and whether or not your councillor is representing that area or not mention it to them as if there was a vote on the issue in city hall he/she would have to vote on it anyway,but sure I am on about politicians :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You were never in the scouts I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

KC161 wrote: »
    It really annoys me when idiots blame government for their refusal to acknowledge a change to road layout. Though I have emailed the council several times requesting a yield sign at the very least be installed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

TheChizler wrote: »
    It really annoys me when idiots blame government for their refusal to acknowledge a change to road layout. Though I have emailed the council several times requesting a yield sign at the very least be installed here.

I agree. The signage is poor. the amount of times I've almost been hit by people trying to get in front of me coming from the bus lane is crazy, they then have the cheek to blow me out of it as if they have the right of way.

Bus lane merges into normal lane,not the other way around. is it really there since 2003 though :eek:

I've even seen Bus Eireann drivers criticise this layout, that speaks volumes for people it is supposed to benefit.

The headline, and first sentence of the opening paragraph, both state that the residents want the bus lane scrapped. But where is the quote for that? I see they want the current setup re-evaluated, but that's it. Am I missing something, or just click-bait type headline by the Examiner?

The headline, and first sentence of the opening paragraph, both state that the residents want the bus lane scrapped. But where is the quote for that? I see they want the current setup re-evaluated, but that's it. Am I missing something, or just click-bait type headline by the Examiner?

Got in it 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

There are hundreds of problems here.

The city council need to remove the Right turning marking on the traffic lane heading down to the junction, this confuses the thick people who do not know the rules of the road.

I would suggest that Gardai should either flood the area for a few weeks and catch those aforementioned idiots driving in the bus lane or set up a camera to catch them.
    I would suggest also that those plastic upright lane marker stands be fitted between the bus lane and traffic lane from where it ends by the Church to possibly half way back up the road.
    I would suggest also that the Yield sign at the end of the Bus lane, should be illuminated.

Thats a lot of i suggests......

kub wrote: »
    There are hundreds of problems here.

The city council need to remove the Right turning marking on the traffic lane heading down to the junction, this confuses the thick people who do not know the rules of the road.

I would suggest that Gardai should either flood the area for a few weeks and catch those aforementioned idiots driving in the bus lane or set up a camera to catch them.
    I would suggest also that those plastic upright lane marker stands be fitted between the bus lane and traffic lane from where it ends by the Church to possibly half way back up the road.
    I would suggest also that the Yield sign at the end of the Bus, should be illuminated.

Thats a lot of i suggests......

Just back from a trip down this road, almost had the back of my car rearranged by a Mercedes booting down the bus lane while everyone else was queuing. It wasn't a taxi either. The Gardai could just stand at the gates to the church and watch it all unfold in front of them.

• Advertisement

I tweeted Jerry Buttimer on the issue.

I've a Council Roads Department reference number (016484) if anyone wants to add it as weight to any official suggestions being made. I was assured my comments were kept on file...

I've a Council Roads Department reference number (016484) if anyone wants to add it as weight to any official suggestions being made. I was assured my comments were kept on file...

As in the best way to proceed with it?

only possible way is to restore it to 2 lanes, the idea of traffic lights (as per article) at wilton gardens though, would it work?

The area was flowing fairly well pre 2003, although I must admit it doesn't seem like 14 years since this was done.

As in the best way to proceed with it?

only possible way is to restore it to 2 lanes, the idea of traffic lights (as per article) at wilton gardens though, would it work?

The area was flowing fairly well pre 2003, although I must admit it doesn't seem like 14 years since this was done.
    Well I was suggesting more signage so people really have no excuse. Having a bus lane there is necessary I think. And it is 2 lanes before 8:30 after 10:30 and before 16:30 and after 18:30.

Well I was suggesting more signage so people really have no excuse. Having a bus lane there is necessary I think. And it is 2 lanes before 8:30 after 10:30 and before 16:30 and after 18:30.

More signage won't work if drivers are ignorant, which many are!

The 2 pinch points here are Wilton Gardens and at the church entrance where the 2 lanes merge into 1.

Unless they make the left lane a bus lane only right to Dennehys Cross and do away with turning right in the other lane or so and so.

Thank god I don't work in a planning office.

The residents themselves are the one's living with this and their opinions should be respected.

They know better than any council official what is going on there.

More signage won't work if drivers are ignorant, which many are!
    True but at the moment there is zero signage. There are two small plates with the hours of operation of the bus lane near the hospital, and the dotted lane marking where the bus lane comes to the end. Surely some signage would be better than none?

True but at the moment there is zero signage. There are two small plates with the hours of operation of the bus lane near the hospital, and the dotted lane marking where the bus lane comes to the end. Surely some signage would be better than none?

That's not strictly true!

The pole next to the church gates has a yield sign on it and the end of the bus lane has a yield sign painted on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

kub wrote: »

This is the single biggest source of confusion IMO.

Also the layout of the hatching seems to favour the bus lane, which is the lane yielding.

I don't think the road needs major surgery, just a few traffic cops, a bit of black paint.

• Advertisement

That's not strictly true!

The pole next to the church gates has a yield sign on it and the end of the bus lane has a yield sign painted on it.
    Is that new? Haven't gone that direction in a while to avoid the whole issue.

Advertisement