Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far should a Kerosene heating oil tank be situated away from the house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

shane0007 wrote: »
    More importantly there is no seal between the boiler & the flue. Most definitely have that looked at before the boiler was used.

There are also guidelines & regs covering the installation of oil supply pipes. As previously advised, get a decent OFTEC technician to inspect & carry out the works & have them sign off on the installation.

so, this would be for me to organise if i do decide to go ahead and rent the house and not get the landlord to organise it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

yeah I think your right the rest of the house looks decent apart from this smelly eyesore of a site oil tank opposite the kitchen door and there is a lot of land at the rear of the house to put it and it cant cost that much to get the copper pipe with white plastic covering on it and dig a trench out and stick it in there at least it will be out of the way. Its only a single pipe system and no return pipe.

Whilst up there I took a photo of the 'boiler house" and the boiler is a firebird popular 90 and the Burner is a Riello 40. The boiler looked pretty rusty, but its most probably just surface rust. But I also noticed theres no fire valve above the riello burner - is that an issue do you reckon?
    Heres a picture:

YOUiZ3VV
    https://db.tt/YOUiZ3VV

Very ineficient boiler in my book and I'm a full time oil service eng.NOT the worst out there though. !

280 degrees heat wasted out chimney that you've paid for.
    120 on good standard boiler.
    60 on New "A" rated boiler in my experence. The more heat into the radiators and the less out the chimney the better MPG

All mesurements not confirmed by the European Energy Board !!!!

More importantly there is no seal between the boiler & the flue. Most definitely have that looked at before the boiler was used.

if i wanted to, and felt/smelt escape of fumes there, could i put some fire cement there where there is no seal between the boiler and the flue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

IMHO, it would be the responsibility of the landlord to furnish you with a safe property to rent from them. I'm not sure of the legal issue regarding this. I know in the UK, it is the landlord's responsibility to provide a conforming installation, but also the landlord must pay for the annual maintenance of that installation. That is a legal requirement there, but here I'm not sure. I do lots of service & repair works for landlords & they pay for it.
    Even if you elect to do the works at your own expense, you would require written permission from your landlord to do so.

so, this would be for me to organise if i do decide to go ahead and rent the house and not get the landlord to organise it then?

Landlord is responcible and has to pay for yearly service by law, a lot don't and don't know that.

• Advertisement

if i wanted to, and felt escape of fumes there, could i put some fire cement there where there is no seal between the boiler and the flue?

Would you have the equipment to test your good work to ensure that it is sealed properly? Would you have the knowledge of how it is sealed? Me thinks it might be better to get somebody competent to do so. They may even be able to service the boiler & test all the other seals & safety devices in the boiler for you.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Landlord is responcible and has to pay for yearly service by law, a lot don't and don't know that.

yeah thats terrible isnt it, i bet a lot of landlords dont service the oil boilers on their houses yearly. If I were in charge of things over here I would make them service it properly and reguarly by law and if they didnt would fine them. I know they dont live in the house but they have tenants that do and for their safety it should be done by the landlord under law - even if they upped the monthly rent on a place to take into account for yearly service on an oil boiler they could do that. You imagine how many people are renting gaffs that could have a faulty or inefficient running boiler!

Normaly tennents get on better with their landlords with a mug of coffee.

Don't get carried away with all this info.

Have a chat and a coffee with him.

But take in the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

If you are in doubt with regard to its location & safety, ask an OFTEC technician to come & inspect the installation. You will then be given a T1/133D report form advising you of any non-conforming issues & advising you of corrective remedial actions required to bring the installation to current standards.
    Genuine question..,what is the difference between an oftec trained and an oftec registered engineer provided they both have insurance.how many service guys would give a T1/133D report to a private house.None that i know off.I dont see what value OFTEC are to a service engineer to be registered.

agusta wrote: »
    Genuine question..,what is the difference between an oftec trained and an oftec registered engineer provided they both have insurance.how many service guys would give a T1/133D report to a private house.None that i know off.I dont see what value OFTEC are to a service engineer to be registered.

That's a very valid question & point.
    IMHO there are a few very good reasons to register:
    1. Updates. Non-registered technicians receive no updates of the regs as they change. I receive about 10 per annum.
    2. To keep up my membership I have to be re-trained & re-assessed every 5 years. This ensures I am to the current levels of standards. A non-registered technician will soon be very out of date.
    3. Audits. A non-registered technician will never be audited by OFTEC. OFTEC is a point of complaint for the consumer. If I do a bad job, the customer can complain to OFTEC, I get audited, if I do carry out corrective measures, I am de-registered.
    4. It is a place of reference if I am doubt. If unsure I can call their technical department for advice.
    5. Many jobs are specified to be OFTEC certed, including works for insurance companies.
    6. I could not be a service engineer for manufacturers if not OFTEC registered.

There are really only 2 reasons to train & not register:
    1. An economical reason. It costs money to keep up my registration.
    2. OFTEC's presence in Ireland is minimal. They lose money hand over fist having their system in Ireland with only a few hundred members. They only receive about €50k from Ireland but have an office & 2 inspectors. But most boiler manufacturers are in Ireland so for them, they must implement their system here to keep up the standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

God only knows how you guys got threw school when you get so touchy over a simple correction.

Did i spell threw right ?

no billy you did not spell it right did you even go to school let alone get THROUGH it ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

agusta wrote: »

And also quite often you find that some of the 10day wonders who have done the course sponsored by ourselves (FAS) but failed to learn anything just don't have the bottle to take it as far as the Inspection and investment in equipment because they know they just ain't got it in them. (little wa##er smiley required here)
    jimf wrote: »
    no billy you did not spell it right did you even go to school let alone get THROUGH it ha ha biggrin.png

I just knew someone would be along to slate me, i'm gona tell oikster on you. frown.png

wink.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Cerco

Can you reference the relevant legislation for your assertion?
    I am not contradicting you just interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Cerco wrote: »
    I am not contradicting you just interested.

Not all landlords pay but the most of them do.
    Duty of care is why they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

[QUOTE=Billy Bunting;

I just knew someone would be along to slate me, i'm gona tell oikster on you.

sorry billy could not resist getting the old week off to a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Cerco wrote: »

I think we are basically looking at Manufacturers Instructions and Fire Regs, many local County Councils follow Oftec guidelines, Oftec guidelines reference BS 5410 that requires oil fired appliances and equipment to be serviced periodically in accordance with the Manufacturer’s instructions, MI specify annual servicing.

Putting specific legislation aside and good ol common sense comes in, i cannot see any Landlord who has caused the death of a tenant due to not carrying out their responsibility of duty of care standing up in front of the curly fella and pleading ignorance.

I think we are basically looking at Manufacturers Instructions and Fire Regs, many local County Councils follow Oftec guidelines, Oftec guidelines reference BS 5410 that requires oil fired appliances and equipment to be serviced periodically in accordance with the Manufacturer’s instructions, MI specify annual servicing.

Putting specific legislation aside and good ol common sense comes in, i cannot see any Landlord who has caused the death of a tenant due to not carrying out their responsibility of duty of care standing up in front of the curly fella and pleading ignorance.

Un fortunatily Billy my Sister died in a rented house from CO. due to to her landlady refuseing to get a solid fuel cooker checked out due to the kitchen filling up with smoke.
    She was told to use antracite instead as it was smokless.............
    No court case, landlady walked !!!

Now you understand some of my views, espicaly on CO

U weren't to know unless you saw one of my first posts when I started on Boards.ie

Ta
    MD.

Also why I try to stay out of the stoves section.

Putting specific legislation aside and good ol common sense comes in, i cannot see any Landlord who has caused the death of a tenant due to not carrying out their responsibility of duty of care standing up in front of the curly fella and pleading ignorance.[/quote]

Look up in boards my post.

Carbon Monoxide Death ( My Sister )

Un fortunatily Billy my Sister died in a rented house from CO. due to to her landlady refuseing to get a solid fuel cooker checked out due to the kitchen filling up with smoke.
    She was told to use antracite instead as it was smokless.............
    No court case, landlady walked !!!

Now you understand some of my views, espicaly on CO

U weren't to know unless you saw one of my first posts when I started on Boards.ie

Ta
    MD.

This is just to let you know that its not just another story on the 6 o clock news. It can happen to any of us

Also why I try to stay out of the stoves section.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thanks

??

• Advertisement
Advertisement