Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help setting up network please

Options
  • 22-09-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hi guys can I please get some help , ok iam running a cable router (cisco epc3925) and added a dd - wrt router to my network last year all was working well till yesterday had to reset the dd - wrt router now I cant get onto the internet all I get is network symbol has yellow triangle ??? now when I go straight to the cable router all works ok but when I go to the ww-drt router I get the yellow triangle on the network symbol so think its down to settings in the dd - wrt router, thing is where do I start ???? below is the setup iam using and has been working for over the years with no probs till I did a reset

thanks for your time

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You need to plug an ethernet cable from the cisco to a LAN port on the dd-wrt.

You will need to setup the dd-wrt as a switch, so disable DHCP, firewall etc on the router.

DHCP, firewall etc should come from the Cisco router

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Mr. G is right you need to plug the cable into a LAN port not the WAN port

To use the WAN port you'll have to great another network by using the DMZ option on the Cisco epc3925 router

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Why did you have to reset the dd - wrt router?

Everything was working up to that point right?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭billyfromdublin

Why did you have to reset the dd - wrt router?

Everything was working up to that point right?

thanks for all your help guy

have to do a reset because the dd-wrt stopped working was just getting flashing lights from it. this is the bit am lost, the last time I set it up I went from LAN port on the epc3925 to WAN port on the (cisco valet plus) dd-wrt router I think I truned of wifi on the epc3925 and the rest of the setting where done in the dd-wrt . the epc3925 was only used for the phone line and only ever used 1 LAN port to run the dd-wrt router all pc and media players where all run from the dd-wrt ??? thanks for taking the time to help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

have to do a reset because the dd-wrt stopped working was just getting flashing lights from it.

If the dd-wrt stopped working out of the blue for no apparent reason & with no intervention by you or anyone else? Would that not suggest that it is faulty?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

With DD-WRT you should set it up as a proper AP, follow the long version here:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Advertisement