Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any bits of gta5 i can let my 10yr old play?

• 22-09-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

hi

i bought gta5 to play on my sons xbox
    and intended to keep it a secret
    but it came up on his profile so he knows
    (yes, i know, i havent a clue about xbox)

anyway, he's badgering me heavily to play it
    any parts that i could go to and let him play?
    im only starting it so i dont know it well yet
    anywhere he could drive around or fly or any of that
    without constant swearing or OTT violence

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

unless you are going to sit with him the entire time and don't leave him play any missions or do anything.

If you give in and let him play then he is going to try and play the full game. Which in my opinion 10 is too young to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

The content of the game is way too mature for a ten year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not really tbh, unless you turn the sound off and let him just drive around, a even bumping into other drivers can make your character go "ah for fcuk sake!" There's a LOT of swearing in it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

He's 10 just tell him no. It's rated 18 for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

No, this is far to graphic. If you let a child play this you are a bad parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I played VC when I was 8 so you are saying bad parents let their kids play 18 rated games.

When I was at the launch a guy was standing near me with two kids who couldn't have been more than 10-11 each, ridiculous really. It's people like that who give the "games are corrupting the youths" brigade more ammo. Be responsible when it comes to this stuff, wouldn't let your kid watch Game of Thrones? don't them play adult games either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Tennis maybe? Probably best to ban it completely ashe'll badger you to play other parts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Been playing GTA since I as a child myself and never did me any harm.

Posted from Mountjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

You've played the game yourself, why are you asking other people's opinions on what you allow your child to play?

Would you allow him or her to watch Scarface? Same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

My son is playing it and he's 11. My choice.

lukesmom wrote: »

Do you watch him play? Are you fully aware of content of the game?
    Would you allow him to watch an 18 rated movie?

I don't care what you or others say, that's terrible parenting.

But if you have no problem with your child seeing prostitution, drugs, murders, strippers and coarse language then who am I to say anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

If parents don't mind their kids seeing sex, drugs and violence, that is their decision.

Would you let your 11 year old watch a movie with the same content? @lukesmom

Rabbo wrote: »
    Do you watch him play? Are you fully aware of content of the game?
    Would you allow him to watch an 18 rated movie?

My husband is fully aware of content. He has watched a few 18 movies.

Yes and yes.

Well, it is indeed your choice but it screams of lazy parenting to me.

I hope it doesn't do him damage at that highly impressionable age. I'm glad my mother had the sense to set me boundaries when I was growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No way in hell should a 10 year old be anywhere near this game.

It's for adults only, the average age of a gamer is like 28 years old, most games reflect this.

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    If parents don't mind their kids seeing sex, drugs and violence, that is their decision.

Would you let your 11 year old watch a movie with the same content? @lukesmom

If a parent decides it's ok for an 11yr old to see that kind of thing then I'd strongly recommend the children be taken off them.

• Advertisement

If a parent decides it's ok for an 11yr old to see that kind of thing then I'd strongly recommend the children be taken off them.

Well then there would be a lot of children leaving their parents, all his friends have it and play online together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Aw bless.Hope you sorted him out with some decent bangers for halloween
    :pac:

Have you seen him play the game? I used to have to hammer it home to people buying GTA games for their kids off me that there's stuff in it that's in no way suitable for kids. It's not a kids game in the slightest.
    I have a 10 year old nephew who was trying to convince my sister to get it for him, not a hope. I wouldnt want a 10 year old playing a game with the amount of swearing, torture, sex and drugs GTAV has. He's way too young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I don't care what you or others say, that's terrible parenting.

But if you have no problem with your child seeing prostitution, drugs, murders, strippers and coarse language then who am I to say anything?

Why though?

Loads of us played the previous GTA's when underage. Did you ever see a film that you shouldn't have because of your age? Or even an album?

Well then there would be a lot of children leaving their parents, all his friends have it and play online together.

He plays GTA V online does he? That's cool considering the rest of the world have to wait another week. Shows that you are completely clueless about what your child is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Why though?

Loads of us played the previous GTA's when underage. Did you ever see a film that you shouldn't have because of your age? Or even an album?
    Each GTA has ramped up the realism and violence level though.

I played GTA 1 when I was 12 or 13 or so, but that was a 2d overhead cartoon in comparison with the modern GTA

He plays GTA V online does he? That's cool considering the rest of the world have to wait another week. Shows that you are completely clueless about what your child is playing.

Well he plays games online on xbox live and I'm not clueless, I know what he has

Why though?

I played GTA 1 at 14, do you think that game is in anyway comparable to GTA V?

May aswell just give kids a copy of Manhunt and let them play that too.

Well he plays games online on xbox live

I play FIFA online, different story to GTA. An 11yr old CHILD should not be playing this game, it's not up for debate.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to supervise him as he drives around the streets avoiding cops and nicking cars? Thats pretty much the fun part anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You guys should ease up on lukesmom. It's her choice as a parent.

Because lets be honest, we all watched mature things when we were kids. There was a thread in After Hours not too long ago and everyone was commenting how they watched some horror or action movie when they were young.

Personally I wouldn't let a 10 year old son of mine play the game. But that's my choice.

I play FIFA online, different story to GTA. An 11yr old CHILD should not be playing this game, it's not up for debate.

I'm not saying it is up for debate but the thread is about bits of gta that the op's 10 year old can play. I answered that my 11 year old has the game. He also has black ops 2, halo and a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yeah, go for it. Especially
    the part when you first go to Trevor's trailer and he has a nice meth addict lady bent over a counter and is getting his doggy style on
    . Seriously, even driving around in this game can have you killing pedestrians or random killing sprees.

So no, there are no bits of GTA5 your 10 year old can play.

I'm not saying it is up for debate but the thread is about bits of gta that the op's 10 year old can play. I answered that my 11 year old has the game. He also has black ops 2, halo and a few more.

There are no parts of this game a 10yr should be allowed to play.

Honest question time, would you allow your child to watch Scarface, Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction?

kyub wrote: »
    Yeah, go for it. Especially
    the part when you first go to Trevor's trailer and he has a nice meth addict lady bent over a counter and is getting his doggy style on
    . Seriously, even driving around in this game can have you killing pedestrians or random killing sprees.

So no, there are no bits of GTA5 your 10 year old can play.

And not to mention him telling his friend that he can sucks him off while driving

• Advertisement

This game sounds awesome.

FearDark wrote: »
    This game sounds awesome.

It is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Might be suitable, if you don't mind explaining the distinction between waterboarding and teeth-pulling as effective means of torture.

There are no parts of this game a 10yr should be allowed to play.

Honest question time, would you allow your child to watch Scarface, Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction?

We have those movies here, not sure if he saw scarface I don't think so but he hasn't seen the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I meant that as its their decision and its also their problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Rabbo wrote: »
    Well, it is indeed your choice but it screams of lazy parenting to me.

I hope it doesn't do him damage at that highly impressionable age. I'm glad my mother had the sense to set me boundaries when I was growing up.

I was about 13 when I played GTA 3. Big deal. In fact, although the game was "hugely controversial" the only thing that I remember as actually being particularly unpleasant (and unavoidable) was something which hadn't been mentioned by the usual wringing hand mob - a mission which couldn't realistically be completed without offing several US soldiers at a military depo.

Tbh I haven't played GTA V. Not all 18 rated media are equal. Apparently there is a particular scene involving torture that is quite graphic and unskipable in GTA V. More fundamentally the character of Trevor may make it inherently unsuitable. I'd really have to see it first hand to be sure.

Of course there are those here that would refuse their children watch Gremlins or Batman Returns because they both have 15 certs. A bit of judgement is required.

efla wrote: »
    Might be suitable, if you don't mind explaining the distinction between waterboarding and teeth-pulling as effective means of torture.

Worked for me :pac: although I did jump the gun a bit with my target, had a hunch and I was right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

You must remember that video games are responsible for all the murders, rapes, and abductions nowadays. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Heavy gun play, violence, torture, prostitution, heroin, racism, arson, theft, murder/assassination, drink driving as all major themes of the game and your okay with this? Never mind Trevors rampage missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

It's her choice as a parent.

I risk coming across as advocating totalitarianism here... but this sorta mentality has always made me feel uneasy.

It seems to suggest that parents should be completely free from judgement regarding their raising of a child and absolved from any wrongdoing if adult media does have a negative effect.

Society as a whole will always suffer the consequences of poor parental decisions.

I'm not a fan of the whole "violent video games are the devil", and more likely than not nothing bad will come from many who play such games, but choices such as this often make me wonder whether the laws are a bit lax.

Playing in mid-late teens is one thing, but pre-teens? :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ah here, I remember me and my friend used to play GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas from the time we were 7 and we turned out grand :p Just make sure you're in the room with him when he plays it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,911 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

None of this game is suitable for a 10 y o but the tortue scene alone is way too much. There is a political message behind it but way way way too much for a ten year old brain to see it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

jesus man i wouldnt let him play any of it . im a gamer since the late 80's and that game is just rediculiously violent , great fun dont get me wrong but for an adult . what ever about a 15 year old up playing it , 10 is WAY too young . it has more acts of kids doing violent things after playing it than any other game in history id say.

id say its about the only game that i absolutely wouldn't let a young kid near .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Anyone who lets their 10 year old play gta5 should be forced to do peranting classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

@lukesmom

I don't think it's suitable to allow a child to play this game. However, I'm not as extreme in my views in that I think if you want to let him, fair enough, your choice. I don't agree with you, but don't judge you either.

However, one thing struck me. It was brought up by another poster to which you never responded. You claim your son plays this game online with his friends as they all have it.

The online version isn't ready yet. So do you know the game in depth? If he's saying he's playing it online, when its not even online then maybe he's saying his friends have it when in actual fact they don't.

And if they do, fair enough. But regardless of this, you should know if it is or not. As I said, I respect your position on allowing him to play the game, and that's your choice.

BUT I bet you your son would be uncomfortable if you sat down and played with him/fully observed him killing hookers/robbing cars etc. So sit down, not just in the same room as him, but actually beside him. Then play yourself when he's not around. If you still think its ok, grand. But implying you know the game very well, what your son does in it, who he plays with, and that he plays online when online hasn't even been launched yet is crazy imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement