Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any bits of gta5 i can let my 10yr old play?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

lukesmom wrote: »
    Your very presumptuous that he watched that part aren't you?

Why do you think he hasn't? That scene with Trevor shagging the meth wreck and then stomping Johnny to death is literally the player's introduction to that character (before they take control of him themselves and pick up where he left off). It's unskippable and happens very early days in.

It is not especially unique or even unusual for the game. That is the tone.

If your OH is telling you that your kid is not going to see scenes like that, or the one where two old guys with their genitals out pin a young woman to the ground and restrain her before stuffing her into their car at gun point, he's fibbing, because a lot of them are randomly triggered just by driving around.

EDIT:

For reference, apologies if this is a spoiler and for the slightly misleading video title -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ACa5bBto8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I suspect that lukesmom's husband is trying to downplay the game because he himself wants to play it.

Next time they're playing lukesmom sit in with them and see how comfortable it is for the family to sit down to watch a bit of torture and anal sex.

Good ol' fashioned family time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think this thread turned into the typical taboo cringy direction it was destined to take.

Only a parent knows their child, and the tolerance they can handle and take. The game is rated for obvious reasons and to a pretty strict set of standards. But there is of course the opportunity for parents to make their own evaluation to what is suitable for their child.
    I kinda have to laugh, there are some posters in here that are being a bit sarky having sly digs at Lukesmom here, yet are the same names I recognise from threads supporting legalisation of cannabis and the likes. My point isn't to derail that opinion, but instead that we are our own best judges on ourselves, and our childrens tolerances.

I don't think Lukesmom is doing herself any favours going into defensive mode, but I can see why she has, it appears there is some assault coming from corners on her method of parenting, with remarks that to be fair, cannot be defended. And that is fair enough. But I think most of us in the real world, saw something meant for 18+'s, before we actual go to 18. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who drove a car, before they had a license, had a drink before they were of age, or fired a gun before they were 16.

Unfortunately its this quick lashing of parenting decisions that make this such a tabloid subject everytime a GTA or COD or something is released. Last Friday the Right Hook on newstalk were talking about it, with George Hook being adament that if you play excessive amounts of Grand Theft Auto at a young age, you will loose disconnect between reality and fiction. Absolute rubbish.

I'm not defending the poster here, but as a person whose parents took an active interest in content I was exposed to and made their own conscious decisions on what I was allowed see, hear and play, I think it would be mroe constructive to the thread to maybe get some thoughts on why the she feels her child can be and should be allowed play this sort of game. And hopefully in a non judgemental way if possible.

*EDIT*
    To clarify my points are in relation to Lukesmom, not the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I kinda have to laugh, there are some posters in here that are being a bit sarky having sly digs at the OP here, yet are the same names I recognise from threads supporting legalisation of cannabis and the likes.
    Do you know anyone who advocates legalisation of cannabis for 11 year olds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I suspect that lukesmom's husband is trying to downplay the game because he himself wants to play it.

Next time they're playing lukesmom sit in with them and see how comfortable it is for the family to sit down to watch a bit of torture and anal sex.

Good ol' fashioned family time!

I remember how uncomfortable the room used to get when the whole fam would be watching a wildlife documentary and the bull elephant started to feel frisky.

Ah, how times have changed. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think this thread turned into the typical taboo cringy direction it was destined to take.

This is a parent who came asking for some opinion, and when the opinion was heavily in favour of one side, that parent has now gone onto the defensive. Only a parent knows their child, and the tolerance they can handle and take. The game is rated for obvious reasons and to a pretty strict set of standards. But there is of course the opportunity for parents to make their own evaluation to what is suitable for their child.
    I kinda have to laugh, there are some posters in here that are being a bit sarky having sly digs at the OP here, yet are the same names I recognise from threads supporting legalisation of cannabis and the likes. My point isn't to derail that opinion, but instead that we are our own best judges on ourselves, and our childrens tolerances.

I don't think the OP has done herself any favours going into defensive mode, but I can see why she has, it appears there is some assault coming from corners on her method of parenting, with remarks that to be fair, cannot be defended. And that is fair enough. But I think most of us in the real world, saw something meant for 18+'s, before we actual go to 18. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who drove a car, before they had a license, had a drink before they were of age, or fired a gun before they were 16.

Unfortunately its this quick lashing of parenting decisions that make this such a tabloid subject everytime a GTA or COD or something is released. Last Friday the Right Hook on newstalk were talking about it, with George Hook being adament that if you play excessive amounts of Grand Theft Auto at a young age, you will loose disconnect between reality and fiction. Absolute rubbish.

I'm not defending the OP here, but as a person whose parents took an active interest in content I was exposed to and made their own conscious decisions on what I was allowed see, hear and play, I think it would be mroe constructive to the thread to maybe get some thoughts on why the OP feels her child can be and should be allowed play this sort of game. And hopefully in a non judgemental way if possible.

Just need to clarify Lukesmom is not the OP. So becareful with that post, the actual OP stop posting a good few pages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lyrical

Think you're mixed up the OP recognised that it was a mature game and asked was there were non adult parts that their 10 year old son could play.He/she isn't allowing their son to play the game that's another poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't come in here for an advice so...

Lukesmom didnt start the thread tho :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭bezerk

I want my son to grow to be like 2pac, Biggie Snoopy Dog and 50 Cent. Thug Life.

Yeah sorry made an edit, Lukesmom has really been the main focus of the thread from a parent point of view :)

• Advertisement

This is a parent who came asking for some opinion, and when the opinion was heavily in favour of one side, that parent has now gone onto the defensive. Only a parent knows their child, and the tolerance they can handle and take. The game is rated for obvious reasons and to a pretty strict set of standards. But there is of course the opportunity for parents to make their own evaluation to what is suitable for their child.
    I kinda have to laugh, there are some posters in here that are being a bit sarky having sly digs at the OP here, yet are the same names I recognise from threads supporting legalisation of cannabis and the likes. My point isn't to derail that opinion, but instead that we are our own best judges on ourselves, and our childrens tolerances.

I don't think the OP has done herself any favours going into defensive mode, but I can see why she has, it appears there is some assault coming from corners on her method of parenting, with remarks that to be fair, cannot be defended. And that is fair enough. But I think most of us in the real world, saw something meant for 18+'s, before we actual go to 18. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who drove a car, before they had a license, had a drink before they were of age, or fired a gun before they were 16.

I'm not defending the OP here, but as a person whose parents took an active interest in content I was exposed to and made their own conscious decisions on what I was allowed see, hear and play, I think it would be mroe constructive to the thread to maybe get some thoughts on why the OP feels her child can be and should be allowed play this sort of game. And hopefully in a non judgemental way if possible.

There's a muddly foggy grey area in the middle somewhere, when you're talking about whether or not a 13, 14 year old would be fine to play Vice City.

There is no such ambiguity when you're talking about a ten year old and GTA V. It's just so young, and such an extreme game world, there's just no blurry line to argue about. In general, I think it's absurd how much moral panic there is around games overall. And I'm glad there are cartoons like Adventure Time still out there, which introduce some fairly complex ideas early on - but that's a much bigger conversation that has no bearing here. This is not a battle that war can be fought on.

A thirty year old coming to Grand Theft Auto knows how to think of women, they know what's acceptable, they know how to feel about the scenes they're seeing, they can recognise satire when they see it - a ten year old does not, they're still learning those frameworks from the people and media around them.

Talking about users in cannabis threads is madly irrelevant to be honest.

bezerk wrote: »
    I want my son to grow to be like 2pac, Biggie Snoopy Dog and 50 Cent. Thug Life.

Yeah well he should play San Andreas then!

drumswan wrote: »
    Do you know anyone who advocates legalisation of cannabis for 11 year olds?

There are a number of people here claiming to be parents, who I've seen actively post in pro-legalisation threads.

While I'm sure they don't actively promote children to smoke weed, I'm sure my Da didn't intend me to start smoking as he puffed 20 a day in the house....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Don't come in here for an advice so...

Ern I didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Joeonion

No there aren't. The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Okay, lets say I am 10 year old boy. You ( my parent ) sitting next to me watching me over and explaining me stuff. This scene comes up. how you explain me this, go:
    Starts at around 1.20

Spoiler alert would have been nice for the video title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The lock is coming. Was an interesting debate but people always get defensive when it comes to their parenting, even if the truth of the matter is as plain as the nose on their face. If people want to expose their children to graphic sexual content and extreme violence, fine. Will they end up in Mountjoy for it? Probably not but I do think 11 is far too young to be exposed to this type of media. Those defending letting kids play the game who have never seen it (i.e lukesmom), think of the most graphic scene in a movie you have seen. Would you be happy for your child to watch it? If not you probably shouldn't let them play GTA V as it has some of the most graphic content I have seen (aside from those mental Russian lads on Youtube).

Yeah sorry made an edit, Lukesmom has really been the main focus of the thread from a parent point of view :)

She has been, and probably unfairly so.

I don't think anyone here really believes that watching a rape scene means their child could potentially grow up to be a rapist, or that watching a torture scene means their child could potentially grow up to be a psychopath. I think most gamer parents are quite liberal with their children when it comes to censorship, and overall, I don't think this is a bad thing. In moderation.

There has to be a line, and IMO, GTAV is that line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The lock is coming

Best thing for this thread Lukesmom is not going to change her mind despite EVERYONE else telling her otherwise and it's winding people up. The thread is going no where really.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissyFit

@lukesmom - If what your saying is true , that you trust your husbands judgement to allow an 11 year old play that game , then why don't ye all have a nice cozy family night in playing GTA 5 , invite the Grandparents while yer at it . Take turns playing the game , in fact , let Luke play the first half hour . Just remember to record it all and upload it to YouTube so we can all see Nana and Granddads reaction . I could do with a good laugh .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ern I didn't

My bad.

Does Not really change the rest of it. As someone pointed out above: "it will be a great family time, killing, raping and swearing gta 5 style".

There's a muddly foggy grey area in the middle somewhere, when you're talking about whether or not a 13, 14 year old would be fine to play Vice City.

There is no such ambiguity when you're talking about a ten year old and GTA V. It's just so young, and such an extreme game world, there's just no blurry line to argue about. In general, I think it's absurd how much moral panic there is around games overall. And I'm glad there are cartoons like Adventure Time still out there, which introduce some fairly complex ideas early on - but that's a much bigger conversation that has no bearing here. This is not a battle that war can be fought on.

A thirty year old coming to Grand Theft Auto knows how to think of women, they know what's acceptable, they know how to feel about the scenes they're seeing, they can recognise satire when they see it - a ten year old does not, they're still learning those frameworks from the people and media around them.

Talking about users in cannabis threads is madly irrelevant to be honest.

I'm not saying I agree with the parenting choice here, I'd have a hard time justifying it, having played the game. But I could maybe see why if the someone had experience of maybe Vice City, San Andreas, they might come into this one not realising the imagery takes a sharp step in the upward direction.

I think there is always cases where parents in certain cases and scenarios will make some judgements or calls that alot of people will be shocked by. And in some cases rightly so. I'm finding it hard to maybe see a reason why a ten year old would be allowed play the latest GTA franchise, but at the same time my nephew plays Call of Duty and he is ten, with two very conservative parents. While not as grphic perhaps, you know yourself, it's still glorification of war.

I'd just maybe like there to be some room given to the poster to maybe outline why she made the decision. Granted there is probably grounds for "**** off I'll parent the way I want I don't have to explain myself" it might be down to some misinformation, that once correct the poster will make a different decision based on the correction. Or it might be a point of view, that we simply havn't factored.

I'm just playing devils advocate. I'm an avid gamer for a longtime, and when these arguements and debates start, they all end up the same way. There is too much presumption and hypocrasy, and instead I'd for once like to see some actual mature debate, ironic considering the topic is usually debating how a child is not mature enough to see the content. Yet we can't be mature enough to let a poster make a point, without going on the offensive.

And in terms of why cannabis is relevant. It's not, the point I was making was. There was a number of posters who got rather hostile and a touch OTt in their posts on how "she is a shocking parent" among other things, yet the same person champions legalisation of a drug assuming what, their children just won't know about it? It's maybe a more specific point tailored to a few posters here that I can put to one side, but I feel it's relevant in that we have different tolerances for what we deem to be acceptable and moral, in regards to ourselves and parenting in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

MissyFit wrote: »
    @lukesmom - If what your saying is true , that you trust your husbands judgement to allow an 11 year old play that game , then why don't ye all have a nice cozy family night in playing GTA 5 , invite the Grandparents while yer at it . Take turns playing the game , in fact , let Luke play the first half hour . Just remember to record it all and upload it to YouTube so we can all see Nana and Granddads reaction . I could do with a good laugh .

Nah I've better things to be watching thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've come to the conclusion that there are many parents that want GTA banned so they won't have to try saying "no" to their child, and then feeling like a pushover when they give in.

Overall I think we need to stop hiding the real world from children. However I don't think GTA is a suitable way of introducing children to sex and violence. It's a satire on adult themes and kids just won't get the satire, they need to learn the truth about life first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭pah

I think that says it all really, there's going to be no changing your mind.

Ignorance is bliss eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Therein lies the problem. You have better things to be doing that taking an active interest in what your child is exposed to by your husband. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though in the case that your husband is pulling the wool over your eyes by playing down the graphic nature of the game, in which case it's not your fault but your husbands. It's no more different that your husband slipping your son a few fags with a sly wink to "say nothing to mum"

It's a handy get out instead of actually paying attention to what your child is doing just say, "Oh he's very mature for his age."

I must remember that for whenever I want to be a lazy parent in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

GTA is the type of game that gets more and more explicit with every new release. It won't be long before it will be normal to see full penetration, gangbangs and all that goes with that. It's just going to get more explicit as the years go on.

I'd hate to think áss rape with close up's will be "normalised" in games that 11 year olds are playing in the future.:( I'm glad one of my kids is addicted to minecraft and the other hates video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's a handy get out instead of actually paying attention to what your child is doing just say, "Oh he's very mature for his age."

I must remember that for whenever I want to be a lazy parent in the future!

Do not forget "i have better things to be doing than monitoring what my child does". Another reason that will exhonorate you from any responsibility according to certain posters here.

• Advertisement

Writing this on my phone so it may not be eloquent and I may break my phone off the wall in the middle but here goes.

Reading through his thread and I'm somewhat shocked by some of the opinions of parents when it comes to porn, video games and content that is deemed inappropriate for their age.

A lot of people defending a parents decision to expose their 11 year old child to GTAV, seem to be under the impression that there's no difference between any 15 or 18 cert material. I have two younger brother, well I actually have 9 but only two of them are at an age when content such as GTA would be inappropriate. My 11 year old brother for his birthday recently got a number of 18 cert titles, which my parents were hesitant at first to allow him to play. Rather than say no outright they looked into the games in question and asked me what the content was like. In the end they allowed my brother to get games such as Rage and Space Marine as they recognized that the violence was cartoon in nature and bar a few uses of the F word there was nothing overtly inappropriate. They could have simply done what many of the parents on here do and said yes to anything he wanted and used the old "sure he'll play it in friends" justification to cover up poor parenting.

When I was back home a few weeks back my 11 year old brother asked my parents if he could play GTAV, I got an early copy direct from Rockstar so had it a week before it went on sale. My parents told him in no uncertain words that he was not playing the game and told me that I was not to let him watch me playing the game. Thought tbh there was not a chance in hell I would have let him watch me as I recognize that the material is simply not appropriate for a child as young as him. I don't care how you try and dress it up or justify it, there is absolutely reason that a child as young as 11 or 12 should be exposed to GTAV. If you let your child play it, then you are a bad parent. Simple as, there's no middle ground here.

You can tell us just how well rounded and mannerly Luke or John or Steven are but exposing them to content contained in GTAV at such a young age will leave an impression. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that it's going to turn them into killers but it will have an impact. First of all there's the manner in which GTAV and porn portrays women and sex. It's simply not the least bit realistic and while you may argue that your son knows the difference between reality and fantasy it's been shown time after time that seeing porn at a young age can warp a childs expectation. Much in the same way that repeated exposure to violence will do little more than desensitize them to it. It's not a healthy way to raise a child.

The whole 15 and 18s cert nonsense that's been brought up is ridiculous. Saying that at 12, any child is mature enough to decide what they want to watch is unbelievably bad parenting. Sure there are a lot of 15 and 18 cert films that are acceptable for a 12 year old to watch. Any of Arnie or Sly's or Dolphs, ect action films are all perfect fodder for a 12 year old and I'm sure that there's not one of us here who didn't grow up watching these films. Hell some of my fondest memories involve watching Highlander and Predator with my dad and I'm looking forward to the day when I can sit down with my own 12 or 13 year old and share these films with him. I'm even looking forward to doing what my dad did during the sex scenes. He used to fast forward through them telling me that "it's just a boring escape attempt" or some such.

Now, just because these 18 certs are fine doesn't mean that they all are. there is absolutely not reason in hell why a child as young as 11 or 12 should be watching films such as Irreversible, A Serbian Film, I Spit on Your Grave, Cold Fish, Salo, 9 Songs, Caligula, The Brown Bunny, Antichrist, Shortbus, Life and Death of a Porno Gang, Base Moi, men Behind the Sun, Mysterious Skin, Otto: Up with the Living, Dumpling, À l’Intérieur, Martyrs, and so on.

It's obvious reading through the past few pages that a lot of parents are quite happy to just say yes to everything their little angel wants and it's a shame as parents should have a little back bone. Just because your child may be exposed to porn or inappropriate material at a friends does not make it in any way acceptable. Kids are growing up far quicker than we did and a 12 year old now is nowhere near as innocent as we were but that doesn't mean that parents should be encouraging their kids to become adults as early as possible.

I think that with gaming stores such as Gamestop have a lot to answer for. It's quite common to be in store as an 11 year old tries to buy something like GTAV and rather than be told that he's not old enough the gamestop staff will ask them if they have an adult with them. I saw a number of children in primary school uniformed getting GTAV in Gamestop last week and not once did a member of staff even point out the 18 cert on the box. Gaming seems to be the only area where such lax restrictions are put on enforcing the law and as long as Gamestop and the like are so openly willing to flaunt it, then it's not going to change.

The more and more I think about all this the more I get creeped out by Lukesmoms's husband. What kind of message does it send out to your child? Hey son, it's okay if you enjoy not just the objectification of women but also explicit sex and violence. Seriously, there is something deeply wrong with a grown man and father who not only exposes his son to extreme violence and sex but experiences it with him. Maybe at 27 I'm older than I feel, but even now I'd get a little uncomfortable watching such a scene with my dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jaxxy wrote: »
    She has been, and probably unfairly so.

I don't think anyone here really believes that watching a rape scene means their child could potentially grow up to be a rapist, or that watching a torture scene means their child could potentially grow up to be a psychopath. I think most gamer parents are quite liberal with their children when it comes to censorship, and overall, I don't think this is a bad thing. In moderation.

There has to be a line, and IMO, GTAV is that line.

Agree, my nephew plays COD and that'd be as mature as he's allowed. He's more interested in the multiplayer than the single player and I have it set so the mic volume level is down min so he doesn't hear other people. (habit from myself, I dont want screeching kids in my ear). But there's not a hope I'd let him see GTAV.

There's a big, big difference between a teenager who's 15 or 16 and a kid who's 10 or 11.

zarquon wrote: »
    It's no more different that your husband slipping your son a few fags with a sly wink to "say nothing to mum"

Sure he's just going to get cancer round at his friends house anyway - so why not let him smoke at home? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

GTA is the type of game that gets more and more explicit with every new release. It won't be long before it will be normal to see full penetration, gangbangs and all that goes with that. It's just going to get more explicit as the years go on.

I'd hate to think áss rape with close up's will be "normalised" in games that 11 year olds are playing in the future.:( I'm glad one of my kids is addicted to minecraft and the other hates video games.

It is not about the game having all the Adult content. Its about kids being aloud to PLAY adult content.

There is nothing wrong with GTA series and GTA 5, as long as you do realise it is ADULT ONLY GAME. Kids should not be allowed to go near it, end of story.

I think that with gaming stores such as Gamestop have a lot to answer for. It's quite common to be in store as an 11 year old tries to buy something like GTAV and rather than be told that he's not old enough the gamestop staff will ask them if they have an adult with them. I saw a number of children in primary school uniformed getting GTAV in Gamestop last week and not once did a member of staff even point out the 18 cert on the box. Gaming seems to be the only area where such lax restrictions are put on enforcing the law and as long as Gamestop and the like are so openly willing to flaunt it, then it's not going to change.

The mad thing is, it goes the other way too. When I worked for game stores, I got the head absolutely eaten off me regularly, full on screaming at me over the counter, by parents, for refusing to sell an 18s game to their little darlings, because Jaysus, that meant they had to come into the store and buy it for them instead. And that's all it meant - never entered their head that there might be a reason kids can't buy it, the important thing was to keep the kids quiet with the Playstation babysitter.

Asking if they have an adult with them is what you do start to resign yourself to out of habit eventually, because that's what's going to happen and the kids and the parents and the person behind the counter all know it, I could hardly refuse to sell it to a grown adult even though I knew where it was going. I can't tell you how many times I had a parent rave on and on and on about how terrible games are nowadays, and how inappropriate they are for kids their age, while in the process of actually buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Why get involved in this thread when your attitude is like that.

How can you make an informed decision when you don't even know what you are taking about. As you said below, its your choice.. based on what, who knows...
    My son is playing it and he's 11. My choice.

• Advertisement

It is not about the game having all the Adult content. Its about kids being aloud to PLAY adult content.

There is nothing wrong with GTA series and GTA 5, as long as you do realise it is ADULT ONLY GAME. Kids should not be allowed to go near it, end of story.

Correct!! why should an 11 year old be banging some slapper up the árse in fantasy land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

We will just have to agree to disagree. Have to laugh though half of you probably have no idea what your kids get up to. At least we openly discuss things with our son and trust that he knows right from wrong, fantasy from reality.
    I think some are overreacting. It's only a game. Not real life and my 11 year old knows this well. He has never fought, has impeccable manners and he is well aware of what is real and what is fantasy. This is how I choose to parent my son. If others don't agree that is their problem not mine.
    :pac: Indeed, an 11 year old boy who has never fought!

When I was 15 (quite a bit older than 10-11), I was playing much tamer stuff like the original GTA, Carmageddon and Duke Nukem (Shake it Baby!), all in secret though and certainly not with my parent's consent. I actually respect the fact that they were trying to be responsible and not seeking my approval by trying to befriend me and acquiescing to my demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

How stupid some people can be. It annoys the ****e out of me.these games/movies are over 18s for a reason. It's not too piss people off it's too protect kids from being exposed to things they can't possibly understand at a young age. Mature 11 year old my arse I've never met one and doubt there are any.
    @ lukesmom im sorry but your husband and yourself are wrong wrong wrong.
    Anal sex,drug taking murdering people,come on that should not be on a young kids tv under any circumstance.

krudler wrote: »
    Agree, my nephew plays COD and that'd be as mature as he's allowed. He's more interested in the multiplayer than the single player and I have it set so the mic volume level is down min so he doesn't hear other people. (habit from myself, I dont want screeching kids in my ear). But there's not a hope I'd let him see GTAV.

There's a big, big difference between a teenager who's 15 or 16 and a kid who's 10 or 11.

Similar story with my young 10 year old cousin. I was pretty surprised to find out he was playing COD, and my aunt's attitude was pretty much, "well, he'll play it anyway, no matter where he is". It was suggested that she at the least mute the mic so he doesn't have to listen to conversation that would be quite advanced for his ten years.

Agreed, there is a massive difference when it comes to age at the early stages. Children, as they reach their teenage years, will begin to experience and see certain things for themselves, naturally, like we did. It kind of disturbs me that parents would purposely bombard their 10/11 year olds with images and experiences that they are not ready to see and are by no means mentally or emotionally prepared to handle or process, no matter how mature for their age you might think they are.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    How stupid some people can be. It annoys the ****e out of me.these games/movies are over 18s for a reason.

Or to make them want it more, I remember being showed Terminator on VHS years ago, and we all kept saying "it's over 18 deadly"

• Advertisement

Proco Jr. wrote: »

How can you make an informed decision when you don't even know what you are taking about. As you said below, its your choice.. based on what, who knows...

She needs to look at the graphic content on youtube, it's probably on the same level of the killings the Mexican cartels do these days, then post it on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hey son, it's okay if you enjoy not just the objectification of women but also explicit sex and violence. Seriously, there is something deeply wrong with a grown man and father who not only exposes his son to extreme violence and sex but experiences it with him.
    Lukesmom - as a woman, how do you feel about this bit? Do you not think you should take an interest in how your son might be perceiving women (I think you also said he has seen porn)?

Like I said before, this is becoming a problem with young children being exposed to this. There has been many studies and it's food for thought. BTW, if you had a daughter, I'd be saying the exact same thing.

Or to make them want it more, I remember being showed Terminator on VHS years ago, and we all kept saying "it's over 18 deadly"

I think you'll find that most 11 or 12 year old kids growing up in the 90s saw Terminator, Aliens, Highlander, Predator, ect on VHS but there's a world of difference between what's in those films and what you find in GTAV or most modern day 18 certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

My 9 year old is plaguing me for a PS3 and all manner of games - GTA, Call of Duty - not a hope in hell. He has the use of my old PS2 on the weekends and has a couple of games - The Simpsons, Disney Cars, and a couple of Need for Speed ones (which I still think are borderline, given the lyrics in some of the rap songs, but he only ever seems genuinely interested in customizing and racing).

It doesn't matter if you bought GTAV for your own use, OP. It doesn't matter if your son knows you have it. What matters is that he realises that there are boundaries, there are rules, and those rules are different for you and for him. My son has asked me numerous times if he can play some of my old games - Mortal Kombat, Vice City, GTA San Andreas, etc - and I've told him of course he can - WHEN HE IS 18. Any arguments, he doesn't play any games at the weekend at all, simple as that.

You're the parent, why are so many people afraid to say no to their own children? I don't even like kids playing with PS2 games or DS games if they're violent, let alone some of the games now on the PS3 - the graphics are way too realistic. I'm not saying my son will grow up to rob cars and drive around blowing the heads clean off the Gardaí, but I certainly don't want him pretending to do that for entertainment. A 10/11/12/13 year old should not be getting satisfaction from pretending to murder people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

@lukesmom

Sorry but it sounds like you need to check out this game, either you have no idea what is about which you must at this stage from this thread. Or you don't mind the fact that what your son is going to see will really affect him, whether you can physically see it or not he'll take on board stuff from that game.
    Bad stuff, stuff no lad of that age should be watching!
    Christ I love the gta series and I'm 24, watching some stuff in this one was bad enough for me.
    When I have kids I know I'll be responsible enough to acknowledge that this is not in anyway suitable for him. You should too.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    :pac: Indeed, an 11 year old boy who has never fought!

When I was 15 (quite a bit older than 10-11), I was playing much tamer stuff like the original GTA, Carmageddon and Duke Nukem (Shake it Baby!), all in secret though and certainly not with my parent's consent. I actually respect the fact that they were trying to be responsible and not seeking my approval by trying to befriend me and acquiescing to my demands.

I remember the first time my mother (accidentally) saw us playing Duke Nukem (wanna dance?) and she was uncomfortable, said it was horrible. I was old enough to agree that indeed, the premise was pretty awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭pah

My son is playing it and he's 11. My choice.

But your choice is misinformed, ill informed, actually just plain not informed at all. Its your choice alright but its lazy as fcuk. Seriously, you've had multiple links to articles and videos spoonfed throughout this thread and you still haven't had a proper look.

100% of posters here will agree that it is your choice to make - sure, but from what I can see its a blind choice and an irresponsible one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Proco Jr. wrote: »

I came back to this thread after last night hoping that after so many pages of of debate, Lukesmom might at this point even have just looked into the game herself purely as a matter of interest - then who knows, maybe even seen the extremely adult orientated content and decided to not let her 11 year old play it. (After viewing the content I don't know how any parent could come to any other conclusion)

I'm shocked at the above nonchalance.

Either Lukesmom is trolling us or she's just doesn't want to admit to herself that she may be wrong on this one and is now putting the blinkers on and refusing to look at it.

Literally a case of 'if I don't see it, it's not happening'.

I think you'll find that most 11 or 12 year old kids growing up in the 90s saw Terminator, Aliens, Highlander, Predator, ect on VHS but there's a world of difference between what's in those films and what you find in GTAV or most modern day 18 certs.

You're right, this kind of material was not available back then. My mother wouldn't buy me a Metallica metal up your áss T-shirt because she thought it was too explicit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Special award should go to Darko for posting all that from a phone! Good post btw!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement