Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Tree

• 22-09-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is?

Photo taken in Spain.

Do they grow naturally this way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

It's an Italian cypress and yes that is their growth habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

We have an Irish Tree that does something similar Juniperus Communis Hibernica
    Its very slow to grow but has the same columnar habit as the Italian cypress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

By 'we' i mean 'Ireland'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ei9go

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking for something for screening that did'nt grow too wide and saw these in Spain recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Smaragd also has a very narrow columnar shape and can grow to a good height. Just plant it and leave it alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I have one of these cypress sempervirens in the garden, its doing fine very slow growing. bought it on a whim in homebase as it was reduced in 2010, only complaint about it is that it's difficult to keep it growing straight in my windy garden. seems completely hardy as was fine through those artic winter we had

Advertisement