Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Laptop - need advice

Options
  • 22-09-2013 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi there,

I bought an Asus laptop from Argos 2 months ago for 440 euro. Almost immediately I noticed it wasn't charging properly and was overheating very badly. I returned it to Argos who offered me a replacement which I took because this laptop has very good reviews and I thought it was maybe just damaged.

Anyway the replacement has been perfect since then until this week when twice it crashed and turned off. Yesterday, it crashed, gave me a message saying 'something's gone wrong, we're trying to figure it out etc.' and it tried to restart. It now won't turn on properly. The furthest it will get is the message saying somethings gone wrong and when I try restart it it basically just crashes on the Asus opening screen.

I looked at the NCA website who say I may be offered for it to be repaired but this is a serious inconvenience as I bought it for college as I need it for taking notes. Plus i've already had to return a faulty machine. Do I have any other rights other than a right to repair?

I haven't gotten in touch with Argos yet as I was working all day today but will ring them tomorrow.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You should deal directly with Argos as they are the people your contract and consumer rights are with. Generally you must give them a chance to repair the item within a reasonable period so be prepared to be without it for a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you ruled out software as an issue? If you have data on the computer that you want to keep, copy it over onto a flash drive. Next you want to use the recovery partition / recovery dvd to put the computer back to the original factory settings. If the issue reoccurs after that, or during the reinstall, it's a hardware issue. If it doesn't, it may still be hardware, but if the faults are normally easy to replicate, and they seem to be gone after the reinstall, it was probably a software issue.

If you hand it in to Argos two months after purchase, it's likely they will send it off to repair. They don't have the facilities to diagnose computer problems, so you'll be without your computer anyway.

If you've reinstalled and the issue is still present, calls to tech support are going to go a lot faster.

Advertisement