Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rawhide

• 22-09-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what's your opinion on rawhide chews?

I never gave them to my girls, partly because

a) Cheap rawhide may not be beef at all - eek

b) Risk of gastro-intestinal obstruction

c) They are really yokky when they've been chewed and they're lying around, soggy!

But I was in Maxi Zoo yesterday and they had beef rawhide chews from Germany, coated with chicken. I bought them for Josie to keep her occupied while we were in the store. She loved it. I took it off her once she got down to small pieces, in case she swallowed them whole.

Does rawhide have a cleaning effect on the teeth and gums?

Every had any problems with it? The ones I bought yesterday weren't knotted at either end. I'd steer clear of those, and the shoe-shaped ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Off topic but my husband bought a packet of beef jerky, just to try it, last month and our cats circled him like vultures, meowing for it, of course they didn't want it once they got it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Mg vet says " NO RAWHIDE". My old dogminder used to give it to her ( I discovered) & she went mad for it but ate it in one yomp. There are some pet shops selling two foot long tubes of the stuff. I can't figure out how eating that much cured leather could be good for a dog . But... Thousands do & survive!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I give this to my puppy as well for his teething. I didn't realise there was anything wrong with rawhide? His teeth are very white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I've never had any problems with it, but I don't buy it very often and I do have my doubts about how safe it is. Actually, I don't think I've bought it in over a year. The best long lasting chews for my dogs are cow's ears and cow's hooves. The hooves last a really long time - hours - but boy do they STINK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

OT but can't resist;

Rollin', rollin', rollin'.
    Rawhide!
    Hah! Hah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

BeerWolf wrote: »
    OT but can't resist;

Rawhide!
    Hah! Hah!

Thank you, that is now in my head.

Move 'em on, head 'em up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I give my Lab the small stick one every evening after his walk. He loves it. The vet always comments on how clean his teeth and gums are at every visit.

Even more recently when we started training the dog trainer couldn't get over how good condition his teeth were in considering his age!

My dog has never had an issues with them but then he loves to chew and really goes to town on it until it's all gone which usually takes about 2 mins!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had a lad x boxer year ago that I had to stick my hand down his throat to pull out some rawhide he was choking on, he'd collapsed and couldn't breathe, I will never forget it.
    Very scary and the thoughts of what might have happened if I wasn't home stopped me from ever giving it to a dog again.

But lots of people do, and never have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

mymo wrote: »
    We had a lad x boxer year ago that I had to stick my hand down his throat to pull out some rawhide he was choking on, he'd collapsed and couldn't breathe, I will never forget it.
    Very scary and the thoughts of what might have happened if I wasn't home stopped me from ever giving it to a dog again.

But lots of people do, and never have a problem.

Exact same thing happened our family dog years ago. She softened a raw hide stick and tried to swallow the whole thing and it lodged and had to be pulled out of her throat. Ive no doubt if she had been alone she would have died. Needless to say I never give my dogs any now.

Advertisement