Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random shut downs and reboots (Gbyte i7 920)

Options
  • 22-09-2013 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

Running an i7 920 with a gigabyte mobo.

Today it started shutting down randomly. sometimes before it reached boot screen, sometimes it got to windows desktop for a few seconds and and then shut down.

I've checked all coolings fans and cleaned them, all are running ok. Ive removed all PCI cards, disconnected the external power switch, disconnected all drives except system, cleaned all fans.

The problem is still persisting. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Check the chip is sitting ok if it's a new build. I had the same problem before turn out to be and over heating problem from the processor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

its an old build. running smooth 3 years now.

cpu fan is running fine.

I would remove the chip clean it down and put some new paste on it. The fact it's starting defo sounds like a heat problem and the Mb is kicking into safe mode to stop it overheating.

wush06 wrote: »
    I would remove the chip clean it down and put some new paste on it. The fact it's starting defo sounds like a heat problem and the Mb is kicking into safe mode to stop it overheating.

cheers m8. ill give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

What power supply is in it ?

• Advertisement

Taking from the intel site. Do some research anyway

Constantly reboots or shut down To prevent damage to components, the computer shuts down or reboots if it senses an overheating issue. The system might reboot every few minutes until the problem is resolved. This often occurs if your system CPU is over-clocked, sped up past the recommended speed limits. The BIOS usually reports if a thermal event has occurred.

Bit more of that site.

When a CPU overheats with all fans working (assuming all cleaning, location, and environmental temperature recommendations are met), you might need to replace the thermal compound between the heatsink and processor. The existing compound eventually hardens with time on most systems.

See a computer technician or buy a professional grade thermal compound and replace it yourself, carefully following all instructions and warnings.

Deano12345 it's a 3 year old system unless it got a surge just can't see it been that but I'm sure the op will take any help.

wush06 wrote: »
    Taking from the intel site. Do some research anyway

Constantly reboots or shut down To prevent damage to components, the computer shuts down or reboots if it senses an overheating issue. The system might reboot every few minutes until the problem is resolved. This often occurs if your system CPU is over-clocked, sped up past the recommended speed limits. The BIOS usually reports if a thermal event has occurred.

Bit more of that site.

When a CPU overheats with all fans working (assuming all cleaning, location, and environmental temperature recommendations are met), you might need to replace the thermal compound between the heatsink and processor. The existing compound eventually hardens with time on most systems.

See a computer technician or buy a professional grade thermal compound and replace it yourself, carefully following all instructions and warnings.

This sounds most likely. ill check the PSU with a multi meter tomorrow but the fan is running smooth so hopefully thats not it.

i do OC from 2.6 to 3.

gonna grab some paste tomorrow and give it a shot, if thats what it was ill up the fan too. cheers lads.

Thanks for the help wush06.

i stripped everything down and cleaned all fans, heat syncs and vents and then reapplied thermal paste and im all up and running again. 3 hours now without a hiccup.

Great stuff. To be honest I learned a lot of my stuff on this very site.
    Just reading others peoples problems and seen the responses from other users.
    This is always my first port of call when I have a problem. Happy computing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement