Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freelander starting problems.

• 22-09-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Freelander 04 wont start in the morning. It sounds like the starter motor is stuck or not turning. The only way I can get it to start is by putting the jeep in gear and pushing it to get a slight turn on the system. After 2 or 3 attempts of doing this I get a turn over and a spluttery start. For the rest of the day its fine.
    any ideas? starter motor or solenoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Hard to understand that.
    It starts no problem after the push start ? If so your right the brushes on the starter need to be changed.
    You might need a new battery or an altinator though, have you got an alt meter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

It sounds like the battery is either very very low or just plain dead to me.

I've had this issue before both with bikes and my Disco. What happens is you get it going and it gets a bit of a charge up so it's fine for the day but then discharges overnight so you have to bump it again.

You want to put it on an external charger for a couple of days and if you're still experiencing problems after that then either a) the battery needs to be replaced or b) you have an electrical problem somewhere that is creating a drain on the battery. A is by far the more likely but if after a good charging it works fine then you're probably ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I agree, battery is likely culprit. If it was the starter it would be like it all the time.

Most modern vehicles should start instantly. If the battery is even slightly on the way out or drained, it either won't spin fast enough or not leave enough poke to run the ECU and sensors.

If you have a test meter it would be worth seeing if there's a slight current drain, if there is, pull fuses until it goes. Glove box lights staying on are often the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

Sounds like the brushes in the solenoid need replacing mate. Easy enough fix.. Few quid on flea bay. It can do this intermittently as it has happened me. Does it click when you turn the key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I think you may be right on the solenoid as I've only replaced the battery a few months ago. Yes it does click. I'll check the battery and solenoid connections and take it from there

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Paddymaniac

I had a 2004 freelander Td4, never had that problem, but everything else broke including my heart and wallet, get rid of it as soon as you can, it near wrecked me, most unreliable machine built ever!!! Lovely to drive though! Best of luck with starter though, my opinion is scrap it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

Eh..... would You not try to start it with jump leads?? Can often help to rule out a few things........ :pac:

I think you have a drainage issue. put your volt meter in series with the negitave pole on battery and negitive lead (as Sean stated, remove fuses one by one)

or you could do the Farmer browne job!! disconnect battery lead for the night!! but with that ****, you lose all your Radio stations :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Do you mean that you get the engine to turn over a little - then try ?
    If it doesn't work another bit of a turn on the engine and try again ?
    Does the starter make any sound at the first attempt - whirring (starter motor spinning but bendix not engaged with ring gear ) ; tearing (damage on ring gear) ; just a click (solenoid working but not moving bendix ); starter turns very slowly (low battery, bad connection )

Advertisement