Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size tin?

Options
  • 22-09-2013 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Is there a system to working out what size tin to use for a recipe? I often come across 'line a loaf tin' in a recipe. Is the size based on the total weight of ingredients, or just the dry ingredients? If it doesn't give a size then I usually mix the ingredients and then see which tin would suit but I don't like leaving the mixture hanging around that long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When airy flour is wet I expect it might reduce in volume so it might be hard to figure out. You might get expected volumes somewhere for standard mixes.

Say you had 2 identical mixing bowls. You put all your stuff in one and mix it up.

After all your stuff is in the bowl try and level it out. Now get your second identical mixing bowl and fill it to the same level with water. Now pour this water into your selection of baking tins and it will show you how deep/full it will be if that water had been mixture.

Some mixing bowls might have volume level lines on the side, so you may not need a second bowl. You can use a weighing scale to measure water since 1ml of cold water is approx 1gram. So if your mixing bowl says you have 600ml of mixture, weigh out 600g of water and test it for size in your tins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A loaf tin is usually a standard size so that should be quite straightforward at least.

I've never seen a recipe that doesn't recommend a tin size, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You can have 1lb loaf tin and 2lb loaf tin. Recipes usually state the size and if not the size then the dimensions are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I would have thought all recipes gave suggested tin sizes too but oddly enough my 13 yr old niece who is very interested in baking asked me about tin sizes recently. She has several cookery books and regularly pulls recipes out of magazines etc, she said most of her recipes don't show sizes, I didn't believe her but sure enough the bulk of the ones she had gave no guidance as to tin size. Others just said a loaf tin, sandwich tins etc without giving actual measurements.

She showed me one recipe she uses successfully and the tin she uses for it, from that I showed her how to compare tin sizes by filling with water etc, doesn't work that great with loose bottomed tins though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Faith wrote: »
    A loaf tin is usually a standard size so that should be quite straightforward at least.

I've never seen a recipe that doesn't recommend a tin size, actually.

Unfortunately, I have seen quite a few in my time. I have now amassed quite a sizeable collection of tins so I won't be caught without the right size, but I still come across the 'line a loaf tin' instruction - I get so annoyed it makes me want to spit! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

eastbono wrote: »
    You can have 1lb loaf tin and 2lb loaf tin. Recipes usually state the size and if not the size then the dimensions are given.

As mentioned above, sizes are not always stated in every recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If the recipe doesn't give a size tin, I assume it's a junk recipe I'm afraid. It's usually internet ones.

Loaf tins as you say come in various sizes, and I've seen it as well... "line a tin", what tin? With those, you can work it out sometimes by the weight of the ingredients... 1lb or 2lb loaf tin for example.

I've a few recipies I multiply up and down for various tins. A chocolate torte one with 3 eggs or 4 eggs that goes in an 8inch or 9inch springform.

Advertisement