Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DI Canio sacked.

• 22-09-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Sunderland AFC ‏@SAFCofficial 3s
    Sunderland AFC confirms that it has parted company with Head Coach Paolo Di Canio this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pity. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Correct decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Good call. He had to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

WTF? I know it was a bad start but jaysus, we are still in September. Is this the earliest sacking ever in a premier league season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Whoever replaces him has some job on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Correct decision for sure, but he was great entertainment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

Would have prefered if it came next weekend instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

His personality don't do him any favours , even though at the end of the day , it is results that matter.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nigel Adkins perhaps? Who is really available? 'Arry Redknapp to leave QPR maybe? Probably expensive to get him though, doubt he's on low wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Good luck to whoever has to take over that team. Was it 14 new players they got over the window?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will not be easy for a new manager, considering how many players Di Canio brought in.

Never had any confidence in Di Canio succeeding anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Correct decision I think. Don't know should he ever have gotten the job

Boillíx, I was hoping he'd be there for next weeks game :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Di Canio for Ireland \o/

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Standing in front of the fans at the weekend was bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I had a feeling that the loss to West Brom coupled with Sessegnon's performance was going to be the end of him. Good decision imo early in the season to give a new manager a chance to have a look at things and be able to add to the squad in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wonder if he'll break back into The Stadium Of Light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He didn't get much time at all really, but understandable with the way he was going about it.

Short put a lot of money into that appointment, i was thinking he was in it for the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Tony Pulis I reckon or Ricky Sparagia again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

called it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85909749&postcount=13

Were lucky for the new manager bump last season - don't rate him at all. a poor mans Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Chin up Paolo

West-Bromwich-Albion-v-Sunderland-Premier-League-2291158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Ballsy decision but understandable. As mentioned above, its come a week too soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I was making money backing against them. West Brom were evens at home to them this weekend. Right decision, they were going nowhere with Di Canio. Who will they get now though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

he complained that the new signings hadn't gelled yet even though the majority of his signings were done in June

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

DiMatteo for the job apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thanks for keeping us up, but this was never working out long-term, was it? My initial worries about his appointment eventually came to a head, the same as it did with O'Neill.

Performances and tactics had been atrocious and despite some good work off the field in terms of trying to turn us into a more professional outfit, the on the field stuff was very poor.

It's not entirely his fault mind. Key positions weren't strengthened which is probably down to the Director of Football and the board penny pinching a bit. That won't change with another manager. We haven't had a permanent right back, left back or central midfielder of quality in years and that didn't change this summer either. We sold our two best players, one to the only team that was below us in the table at the time too without re-investing the Sessegnon money. The balance sheet is clearly a big priority for the board now. If it looked like we might just finish 17th I think he'd still be our manager.

No idea who will come in now, there's hardly an abundance of candidates out there and it won't be an attractive job given the below average quality of the squad and our position in the table. A foreign manager is nearly a priority now given the culture of the squad. Does anyone bookmaker have a market up yet?

I'd be pretty happy with Roberto Di Matteo all things considered to be honest, but given he's a double winner with Chelsea he'd be well within his rights to think he's better than our mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Right decision. Leave it too late and the damage hes done would probably be irreversible. Hes got rid of so many proven players and brought in lots of unknowns, Sessegnon even scored against them in the last match. Baffling decision to even hire him in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whilst it wasn't a great appointment, even if he was entertaining, imo they should have let him have another month considering he brought in a lot of players. New manager will have a big job anyway whoever they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

F**k I was meaning to check what price PP had him to be first sacked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Cannot see him getting another job, certainly not in England.

How many players did he sign in the summer? A lot iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Standing in front of the fans at the weekend was bizarre.

Could have blamed the fixture list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Di Canio for Ireland \o/

lol

And Trappatoni for Sunderland?! Perfect!!! :D

Imagine how intensely he would have stared down the Chairman in the meeting where he was sacked... :P

Shame it didn't work out though.

Lennonist wrote: »
    I was making money backing against them. West Brom were evens at home to them this weekend. Right decision, they were going nowhere with Di Canio. Who will they get now though?

I've paid for holidays as a result of backing against Sunderland. If they're going to put me through hell for 38 weeks a year I have no shame in it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

JokerD wrote: »
    DiMatteo for the job apparently.

Would be a good appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Cannot see him getting another job, certainly not in England.

Could see him getting another job in the Championship easily!

NukaCola wrote: »
    Could have blamed the fixture list

The fixture list has been extremely unkind to us, but there's a lot of truth in the ''you have to play everyone twice'' argument and in any case there was a great opportunity with our first three games to get some breathing space.

We got 1 point from games against Fulham, Southampton and Crystal Palace which set the tone for what our season would be like under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

rarnes1 wrote: »

He signed 15 (including loan signings) according to http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/afc-sunderland/transfers/verein_289.html

... and 16 left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

ambid wrote: »
    He signed 15 (including loan signings) according to http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/afc-sunderland/transfers/verein_289.html

... and 16 left!

Mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You have to question the wisdom of a board that allow a manager to change almost half the playing staff in one summer and then sack him after 5 league matches .

You have to question the wisdom of a board that allow a manager to change almost half the playing staff in one summer and then sack him after 5 league matches .

Did he sign them though or was it a Dof?

Not up to speed on their setup

Mental.

It was needed considering our squad should have been relegated last year and would almost certainly have gone down this year without major changes.

Unfortunately the club (Di Canio and Di Fanti, plus the board penny pinching a bit) made a bollocks of the recruiting as they brought in a few players of quality, followed by a few kids with good potential, a bit of shite and sold the only good players we had in the first place.

Then Di Canio fell out with one of our best summer recruits (Cabral) and he was never seen again despite being the best player on the field in the Premier League opener. I'm sure the new manager will make him a key part of his plans.

I'd imagine yesterday was the final straw for Ellis Short, as a player Di Canio deemed surplus to requirements scored a vital goal against us a two weeks after being sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

He probably asked to be sacked:D

Did he sign them though or was it a Dof?

Not up to speed on their setup

Di Canio had the final say on all signings, Di Fanti identified them. That was the official line anyway.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paolo-di-canio-ill-final-4000088
    The installation of Di Canio in the role of head coach marks a switch to a continental-style approach, with another Italian Roberto De Fanti due to be confirmed as the club’s new director of football this summer.

Di Canio, De Fanti and owner Ellis Short will work together to bring in much-needed reinforcements, with Di Canio identifying the areas of the team he wants to strengthen, De Fanti searching for suitable targets and Short taking care of the financial arrangements.

But Di Canio has insisted all along that he will have the final say over which players come into the club, and it appears that will be the case under the new system.

Di Canio said: “I know that the club have a plan and the picture is clear before me of how it will work.

“I am head coach, the others have to handle the financial situation.

“I have said to them we need this type of player, this type of quality, in this position or that position.

“So show me the players we can go and get and I will tell them ‘yes, this player is OK’, or ‘no this player is not’.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Paully D wrote: »

Performances and tactics had been atrocious and despite some good work off the field in terms of trying to turn us into a more professional outfit, the on the field stuff was very poor.

It's not entirely his fault mind. Key positions weren't strengthened which is probably down to the Director of Football and the board penny pinching a bit. That won't change with another manager. We haven't had a permanent right back, left back or central midfielder of quality in years and that didn't change this summer either. We sold our two best players, one to the only team that was below us in the table at the time too without re-investing the money. The balance sheet is clearly a big priority for the board now. If it looked like we might just finish 17th I think he'd still be our manager.

No idea who will come in now, there's hardly an abundance of candidates out there and it won't be an attractive job given the below average quality of the squad and our position in the table. A foreign manager is nearly a priority now given the culture of the squad. Does anyone bookmaker have a market up yet?

*Copies and pastes into Notepad before saving for day of Pardew's departure*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Paully D wrote: »
    I've paid for holidays as a result of backing against Sunderland. If they're going to put me through hell for 38 weeks a year I have no shame in it. :pac:

Best thing I have seen all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Paolo Di Canio. Has to be saluted though, doesn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Ah feck it anyway. I was thinking Sunderland were exactly what Liverpool needed to get back on track next weekend. They'll probably have a new lease of life now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭dubrov

called it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85909749&postcount=13

Were lucky for the new manager bump last season - don't rate him at all. a poor mans Roy Keane.

I'm not sure if he is a poor man's Roy Keane given Keano has doesn't so well himself but their managerial styles are very similar.

They generally work when things are going well but fall apart at the first sign of trouble

I'd say DiCanio has lost the dressing room (hardly surprising given his recent comments) so they had no choice but to pull he trigger now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement