Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are transfers not allowed?

Options
  • 22-09-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

Most races don't allow transfers. I don't understand why? If you have paid the fee (usually quite hefty) for a race, why are you not allowed to transfer the race number in case you can't run it?
    I've had to pull out of 2 races this year, costing me over a hundred euros. I am not looking for a refund but I'm upset I can't give the chance to someone who couldn't register. Surely, the number of participants stays the same in this case.

Even Ryan Air allows it ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Don't they though? I organize a good few races (mostly club races I'll admit!), 2bh its something that I rarely come across, in that people never ask for either a refund or to transfer their number. But if they did, I wouldn't see an issue with someone changing or getting a refund, assuming they don't leave it too late (ie race envelopes with tags/bibs put together). I suppose moving forward, its something that should be clearly laid out in say terms and conditions, ie the method of getting a refund/name transfer, and timeframe that you can do it etc.

What the story with more expensive commercial races is I don't have a clue as I avoid them like the plague, especially when there are loads of cheap and very good quality club races every weekend, (for which, 100quid would get you 5-10 entries!)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

The half marathon and Dublin marathon don't allow transfers
    I can understand why they won't refund the fees, they have quite a lot of charges with insurances, etc. The transfer rule, which is clearly stated on the website, baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I don't know but i would guess it depends on resources. If you grant transfers for something like the Dublin marathon, you could have a few hundred changes from say 14,000 entries so that takes up time and a cost of updating names, addresses etc. on their database. Also, having being involved in many work related events where most people leave things until the last minute, it would become a bit of a head wrecker too.

I've had to pull out of two marathons and many smaller races so yeah, its a pain but if their rules are no transfers, you pay your money and take your chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

I'd imagine its the admin costs and time, if you're transferring your number then the race organisers are not making money on it.
    The larger the race the higher the numbers of people cancelling or transferring Its more difficult for the organisers of these big races, not like the small ones were organisers are responding themselves to your emails.
    It might be an idea to do it and charge a small transfer fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Nanazolie wrote: »
    The half marathon and Dublin marathon don't allow transfers
    I can understand why they won't refund the fees, they have quite a lot of charges with insurances, etc. The transfer rule, which is clearly stated on the website, baffles me

How about you volunteer this year, find out and report back?

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    How about you volunteer this year, find out and report back?

Actually, that's an idea. I can't run because I injured myself badly and am still trying to walk without pain. But the pain will have (hopefully) eased then and I could volunteer on the day.

Good point about the admin costs. I'll send the organisers an email to ask whether they would do it for a fee.

Actually, that's an idea. I can't run because I injured myself badly and am still trying to walk without pain. But the pain will have (hopefully) eased then and I could volunteer on the day.

Good point about the admin costs. I'll send the organisers an email to ask whether they would do it for a fee.
    95 euro i would say but they will get a new number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think transfers are often allowed in races that will sell out very early. But most running races (including the Dublin half and Dublin marathon) allow entries up to a few weeks before the race. So if you're not very sure that you'll be able to run, why enter months in advance? Yes, it costs more to enter late, but is the extra charge more than a transfer fee would be? And if you're pulling out before race entry closes, nobody is missing out on a chance to run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    I think transfers are often allowed in races that will sell out very early. But most running races (including the Dublin half and Dublin marathon) allow entries up to a few weeks before the race. So if you're not very sure that you'll be able to run, why enter months in advance? Yes, it costs more to enter late, but is the extra charge more than a transfer fee would be? And if you're pulling out before race entry closes, nobody is missing out on a chance to run.

A now come on, a lot can happen in a year. If you enter Dublin marathon in November 2013 for October 2014 a whole multitude of things can happen in between. I got hit by a car the day after the closing date last year...

Best marathon I've seen is Rotterdam who offer refunds. I dropped out of Rotterdam quite late and got a large chunk of my entry fee refunded.

A now come on, a lot can happen in a year. If you enter Dublin marathon in November 2013 for October 2014 a whole multitude of things can happen in between. I got hit by a car the day after the closing date last year...

Sure, so why enter in November 2013 for October 2014? It's not going to sell out.

I know there are a few races - Warriors Run, triathlons, overseas marathons - where you have to enter months in advance. So yeah, there's a good reason to allow transfers there. A lot can happen between the time you have to book your place and the race date. But you can enter DCM up to 3/4 weeks before race day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sure, so why enter in November 2013 for October 2014? It's not going to sell out.

I know there are a few races - Warriors Run, triathlons, overseas marathons - where you have to enter months in advance. So yeah, there's a good reason to allow transfers there. A lot can happen between the time you have to book your place and the race date. But you can enter DCM up to 3/4 weeks before race day

But if you enter just before the deadline and then get injured 2 weeks out, surely a number swap should be allowed??

To be honest, its down to pure laziness and all it encourages is for people to run when ill or injured, which is stupid.

Apparently Tri lets number swapping.

You know yourself there are a number of reasons why people enter early, for just three...
    Excitement
    So that they have their entry = they have to do it
    It's cheaper

As I said, even when you enter with a couple of weeks to go...something can still come up to take you out of the race. So saying they shouldn't enter so early is a poor argument and does nothing to justify why transfers can not be facilitated. Not sure why there is a concentration on these two races, most organisers will not facilitate it in any way.

I'm not really bothered with doing any races that don't offer on the day entry anymore. I've lost out on too much money through races I wasn't able to do.

But if you enter just before the deadline and then get injured 2 weeks out, surely a number swap should be allowed??

Number swaps in the last couple of weeks present other problems - the organisers are under the cosh for time and entrants lists may have been sent out already to the medical teams.
    Triathlons sell out months in advance and have far fewer participants

You know yourself there are a number of reasons why people enter early, for just three...
    Excitement
    So that they have their entry = they have to do it
    It's cheaper

Sure, but if you do all that in the knowledge that transfers are not allowed? That's a choice you can make - book early for those reasons, or book late and pay a bit more to have more chance that you'll run the race.

Number swaps in the last couple of weeks present other problems - the organisers are under the cosh for time and entrants lists may have been sent out already to the medical teams.
    Triathlons sell out months in advance and have far fewer participants

Thats an excuse, Edinburgh allows number swapping for their marathon and it has a bigger number than Dublin.

Does Dublin offer a deferal option if you get injured like other marathons?

What's the difference between an excuse and a reason? :)

Edinburgh marathon allows transfers for a £10 fee, up to 6 weeks before the race date.

Edinburgh marathon allows transfers for a £10 fee, up to 6 weeks before the race date.

I have no problem with the fee part. Just think its an option that should be provided.
    I am sure i could find other races that do it for free that would have 7,000 runners in it.

I just think it sends the wrong message, while you and i won't run unless we are fit and well, there is another 5 that probably would.

What's the difference between an excuse and a reason? :)

Massive difference between an excuse and a reason.

This year your name is on your number. So they do another run at the printers, reorder t-shirts, possibly change portoloo allocation etc to benifit a few people. All this takes admin and will impact the costs for all and will simply invite people asking for transfers etc at the expo. You give them an inch abx they take a mile. I have entered races I couldnt do. Its not the race organsers problem if I get injured or sick. Btw a marathon is a race not a concert. Its a sport.

I would only look for a refund where the organiser was to blaim.

• Advertisement

This year your name is on your number. So they do another run at the printers, reorder t-shirts, possibly change portoloo allocation etc to benifit a few people. All this takes admin and will impact the costs for all and will simply invite people asking for transfers etc at the expo. You give them an inch abx they take a mile. I have entered races I couldnt do. Its not the race organsers problem if I get injured or sick. Btw a marathon is a race not a concert. Its a sport.

I would only look for a refund where the organiser was to blaim.

There are none of these issues in Triathlon where race number swaps are facilitated. Or some other races where organisers will allow transfers and refunds up to a certain point. None of this bull about 'oh well triathlons sell out' some don't and they still allow this and it doesn't really matter whether a race sells out or not...

Race numbers don't *have* to have your name on them, it's a novelty. I would fold the name away if I could, wouldn't like it myself.

Some organisers will just make a note to change the name on the day etc
    Races take entries on the day also, so that rules out that recurring arguement that names are submitted to emergency services and insurance companies long before the race takes place...

Any tri in that 14k people do allow this ? I think its very unfair to be knocking dcm for this when they organized a backup marathon for new york runners last year. Op needs to get over it, life is too short.

Any tri in that 14k people do allow this ? I think its very unfair to be knocking dcm for this when they organized a backup marathon for new york runners last year. Op needs to get over it, life is too short.

I've already stated that this is not about DCM for me...

And the OP did not mention anything about this race either.

No one is slagging dcm off here for it. In general all races should do it.

Edinburgh/Brighton(does it for free) marathon does it which has a bigger crowd.

It is DCM actually, but that's not the point. The same rule applies for Dublin half marathon, which is nowhere as big as DCM
    I'm not even looking for money back, I'd just be happy to give my number to someone who hasn't had a chance to register

2 years ago, I suffered a stress fracture 2 weeks before the race. At this stage, the registrations are closed so even if you leave it until the last minute, an accident can still happen after you've registered. And that time, names weren't printed on the bibs. I also don't understand the argument of portaloo allocation? If the number of runners stays the same, why impact does it have on portaloos?

It is DCM actually, but that's not the point. The same rule applies for Dublin half marathon, which is nowhere as big as DCM
    I'm not even looking for money back, I'd just be happy to give my number to someone who hasn't had a chance to register

2 years ago, I suffered a stress fracture 2 weeks before the race. At this stage, the registrations are closed so even if you leave it until the last minute, an accident can still happen after you've registered. And that time, names weren't printed on the bibs. I also don't understand the argument of portaloo allocation? If the number of runners stays the same, why impact does it have on portaloos?
    So this is over 20 euros? They can still register on the DCM website up to 17:00 on the 1st of Oct.

I may be wrong if portoloos are shared or separate. Maybe I am thinking of another race.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Connemara allow you to defer your entry until the following year if you have a medical cert showing you can't do the race, least they did last year and the year before anyway

registration for DCM is still open, so anyone who wants to run still can

Cabaal wrote: »
    Connemara allow you to defer your entry until the following year if you have a medical cert showing you can't do the race, least they did last year and the year before anyway

Yep and you can change from one race to another as you wish without any issues up to a month or so beforehand....and if you ask really nicely you can sometimes also change races in the few days leading up to the event. Numbers here bigger than a number of the other races in Ireland that do not allow deferrals or transfers.

• Advertisement

registration for DCM is still open, so anyone who wants to run still can

All you're saying is you can't transfer numbers, tough sh*t. You're not actually responding to the actual thread which is ''Why are transfers not allowed?'' a question which no one has actually answered yet...

Advertisement