Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering buying a GBBR

• 22-09-2013 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My biggest let down in airsoft is the lack of "noise" when I pull the trigger on my aegs. I mean, they look the business but for me, essentially, they're like a Ferrari without an engine noise. I usually end up using my Marui pistols for the noise and recoil which I love. So I'm considering a GBBR, in particular, the GHK PDW. Great review of it on Redwolf (ok I know they sell them and are biased) but the sound of it firing is what I'm after. I'm a single shot type of guy and so the limited capacity mags wouldn't bother me.

So are there any drawbacks with GBBR? The one I'm after can use CO2 so our cold weather shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

I have in no way ever owned or fired a GBBR, but this is my opinion - If it suits you, go for it. I know what you mean by a "Ferrari without an engine noise", and it feels like that for me at times as well. If I had the money, I'd buy a GBBR also.

Only drawbacks with GBBR's are the cost of it (GBBR itself) and magazines. You'll have to maintenance it more than a AEG, but if that's you'r sort of thing, not a problem. Price of CO2 bulbs is either a pro or con.

If you're looking for another PDW or a different GBBR, look on TaiwanGun (http://www.taiwangun.com/en/machinerifles-gbb)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Kashkai wrote: »
    Hi all,

My biggest let down in airsoft is the lack of "noise" when I pull the trigger on my aegs. I mean, they look the business but for me, essentially, they're like a Ferrari without an engine noise. I usually end up using my Marui pistols for the noise and recoil which I love. So I'm considering a GBBR, in particular, the GHK PDW. Great review of it on Redwolf (ok I know they sell them and are biased) but the sound of it firing is what I'm after. I'm a single shot type of guy and so the limited capacity mags wouldn't bother me.

So are there any drawbacks with GBBR? The one I'm after can use CO2 so our cold weather shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

GBBR are great fun, but as for a skirmishable weapon they are just not practicle, unless you do not mind spending nearly 50 quid for a 30-50 round magazine. Then you have the added expense of gas/CO2.

GBBR require far more maintenance than an aeg, CO2 even more so, CO2 dries seals insanely quick and the added higher pressure means more stress on parts which may require reinforcement parts.

GBBR are also a lot more temperamental (well maybe some WE models), double feeding, firing pins not re-setting blah blah....

Now having said all that they are great fun to fire, your not going to get more realistic than them, my first proper airsoft rifle was a GBBR and had I known the drawbacks I would have bough an aeg even though it made me grin each time I fired it.

I would look into KWA's new line of ERG (Electric recoil gun) aegs, the recoil is reported to be brilliant but being a big KWA fan myself and own a KWA M4 I would wait for a second generation before I would buy one, while KWA have some excellent stuff they are known for releasing things with the kinks unfortunately still present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭King John The Last

They are expensive and they put you at a disadvantage compared to everyone else. Running a GBBR must be a labour of love. Try and find someone with one who is willing to let go of it for long enough to give you a few shots. Also, I always suggest that if you have as many mid-caps for an AEG as you are intending to get for the GBBR, load each mag with only 30, 40 or 50 BBs, whatever your future gun's capacity is. Try skirmishing like that for a day and if you are getting annoyed by your lack of firepower, you won't like a GBBR. I love my GBBR and I can't think of any AEG that I would swap it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

They are expensive and they put you at a disadvantage compared to everyone else. Running a GBBR must be a labour of love. Try and find someone with one who is willing to let go of it for long enough to give you a few shots. Also, I always suggest that if you have as many mid-caps for an AEG as you are intending to get for the GBBR, load each mag with only 30, 40 or 50 BBs, whatever your future gun's capacity is. Try skirmishing like that for a day and if you are getting annoyed by your lack of firepower, you won't like a GBBR. I love my GBBR and I can't think of any AEG that I would swap it for.

I play a lot of WW2 reenactments at Redbarn where the 50bb limit in each mag is the rule. Doesn't bother me tbh as I like the realism of having a limited ammo supply and thus I limit my shots to either a single shot or three round burst in my STG44 or M14 (which only has 50bb capacity in my low cap mags). I've never been a spray and pray merchant and I can go a whole day of normal skirmishing on one mag in my M4. So I think the limited mag capacity of a GBBR would definitely not be an issue for me.

The gun I'm interested in is the GHK PDW, a compact M4 type gun that has great reviews on the web. The videos of it in action make me want to buy one now but I thought I'd ask all GBBR owners if there are any drawbacks that I should be aware of first.

Thanks for the input btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭King John The Last

The last thing I will mention is that if something breaks, it is more difficult to find parts. Don't let that stop you though, dive in, I don't think that you will be disappointed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The_Outlaw

I noticed your comment about CO2 not being affected by the irish weather. This is a bone of contention with me. Unlike most Airsofters in this country I come from a Paintball background and one thing we have learned is that CO2 is very unreliable in the Irish weather. Thats why most people in Paintball converted to Air as it is more consistent.

Yes CO2 is better than Green Gas but by no means is it reliable. Just keep that in mind when deciding if you want to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

Hi Kashkai,

I noticed that you're looking for a GHK PDW. Great news, M.I.A. stock them for €200 on their website (http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1146).

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hi Kashkai,

I noticed that you're looking for a GHK PDW. Great news, M.I.A. stock them for €200 on their website (http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1146).

Hope this helps.
    Belated thanks mate. Hope to make it over to MIA this week for a "hands on"

Advertisement