Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Plan

• 22-09-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Would the c25k and starting strenght be a good alternating programme every second day ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Nah, not really. To be honest, just do couch to 5km, then take up SS. Once you're able to run 5km you'll be able to maintain that while you're doing SS... probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

kilburn wrote: »
    Would the c25k and starting strenght be a good alternating programme every second day ?

Nope, you'll blunt your progress on both doing this with minimal recovery time! You'll burn out! Do you want to get strong or run 5k? Getting strong will improve your strength for everything, c25k will improve your running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

need to lose a bit of weight maybe 20lbs and bulk up

need to lose a bit of weight maybe 20lbs and bulk up

How much weight training have you done before? Lose weight & bulk up? It's easier to do 1 or the other! Focus on strength training while eating maintenance-small defecit calories & you'll start to shape up! You can cut your calories later down the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Honestly people here have such a low opinion of the body here. You'll be fine doing both its probably not the most optimal path but it'll be fine. Grandfather Rip even says that SS should fit in with sports training just fine in the book.

• Advertisement

Honestly people here have such a low opinion of the body here. You'll be fine doing both its probably not the most optimal path but it'll be fine. Grandfather Rip even says that SS should fit in with sports training just fine in the book.

Not going to try to argue with you as you're far more knowledgeable than me! I'm just going by the 1st time I ran starting strength! (& from what I've seen since)

I wasn't new to weight training, I just sucked at it (still do!!!), waisting time for years with crap gym instructor programmes & I was mma training at that stage so I wasn't completely unfit.

Stopped all other training by week 3 of SS, by week 7/8 I hated my life! Week 10 I was broken! (Edit: This is just hyperbole...it wasn't that bad) There was no way I could have ran c25k ontop of that! Although I knew (& way more knowledge available now) feck all about proper recovery! (OP Also, learn to squat & deadlift properly!)

Ended up a little bit (not much) unfitter but faster & stronger then I was before it!

Burkatron wrote: »

Stopped all other training by week 3 of SS, by week 7/8 I hated my life! Week 10 I was broken! (Edit: This is just hyperbole...it wasn't that bad) There was no way I could have ran c25k ontop of that! Although I knew (& way more knowledge available now) feck all about proper recovery! (OP Also, learn to squat & deadlift properly!)

Ended up a little bit (not much) unfitter but faster & stronger then I was before it!

What were your starting weights?

What were your starting weights?

It was 7+ years ago but yeah, probably started too high relative to my ability! Technique was horrific! I think I went for 70% of what I considered my 1rm, it's what was recommended to me at the time by my MMA coach when I was living in Engurland!

Hi Guys, thanks for taking the time to reply. I will give some more info basically i am 6 ft tall and 14 stone but all my weight is on my belly. According to the over 37inch waist ads i am in trouble.

What i want to do is stay the same weightish i dunno is that a good weight, some sites say its over wieght. I have very skinny arms and legs and would like to build them up while i ditch the belly.

That was my thinking behind those 2 regimes together.

@Burkatron SS should have a fairly low load on the recovery system even though it seems fairly tough for newbs

@ Kilburn If I was you I'd pick a weights template that fitted my schedule that allowed for progression, some of these are SS as mentions, Strong lifts, my personal favourite is "westside for skinny bastards 3" skinny in this case just means lacking muscle. I'd pick one of these and stick with it for 6 months minimum

I'd then read this article: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/ and try get my diet as close to what it suggests 80% of the time and leave my self a little lee way.

I wouldn't think of cutting or bulking. I'd just let the weight training and change of diet do its thing.

I'd cut back drinking to once a week.

I'd take the following supplements, 50mg of zinc, 1g of vitamin C, a generic multi vitamin, 400mg of magnesium before bed and 4000iu of vitamin D.

I'd get my sleep in order 7-9 hours a night. Whats more important is consistently to bed at one time rather then getting 8hrs but going to bed at all different times.

If you can do all this for 6 months I can guarantee you won't recognise yourself. What I've listed should be fairly straightforward to implement if you're not all ready exercising and looking to change things up.

• Advertisement

Why would you recommend those particular supplements?

Every single person who had their bloods done in the gym I worked in came back deficient in zinc and magnesium. Not a single person including all the trainers.
    Vitamin C is a good antioxidant and difficult to get in the diet in decent quanities.
    A generic multi-vitamin is just an insurance policy against things that might be lacking in the diet and the only time we had people pass the vitamin D test is during summer and then it was only people who were spending a decent amount of time outdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why would you recommend those particular supplements?

They're all good for the immune system, muscle recovery, sleep etc etc.

Advertisement