Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Speed Limit Revisions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Good to see they are finally putting a more reasonable speed limit on the River Road. Of course now I need to learn to slow the hell down on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

not a fan of speeding but some speed limits are very tedious, lots of new good quality roads with wide lanes and cycle lanes around, speed limits that are too low can frustrate drivers and cause them to act erratically.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dicky82 wrote: »
    not a fan of speeding but some speed limits are very tedious, lots of new good quality roads with wide lanes and cycle lanes around, speed limits that are too low can frustrate drivers and cause them to act erratically.
    Feel free to mention them, here or to the relevant council.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

N3 city bound, just coming under the hospital flyover on approach to M50. 30kmh. And coming off the M50, northbound blanch exit, not the blanch village offramp, the other one. 30kmh again. Just try doing the speed limit at these points. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

the backroad to finglas , slower than when it was a much worse road , also nearly always has a speed camera van on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jeffk wrote: »
    the backroad to finglas , slower than when it was a much worse road , also nearly always has a speed camera van on it

They're ridiculously low, as you said back when they were narrow country lanes the limit was much higher. Same goes for the stretch of road between Blanchardstown Corporate park and Tyrrelstown and you'll often see speed checks there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

dodzy wrote: »
    N3 city bound, just coming under the hospital flyover on approach to M50. 30kmh. And coming off the M50, northbound blanch exit, not the blanch village offramp, the other one. 30kmh again. Just try doing the speed limit at these points. What a joke.

any one ever do 30Km on them M50 slip roads or even see any one doing 30kpm.

I tried it one time going round at 30KPH had a lad in a van up my arse beeping at me and serving his van angrily behind me. It is actually difficult to keep your speed that slow coming down a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

All the above mentioned are valid roads. The 30kph slips are the main culprits. I try to obey these as I witnessed a gard with hair drier clocking lads and a car pulling them in further down. The point I was making that when you stick to the limits it's other drivers that become infuriated and try to get past you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

They could do with lowering the Powerstown Road speed limit. Two schools on the road with really bad blind spots exiting the school grounds and as you go further down the road to the back of IBM heading to Clonee it's as narrow and bendy. 80kph is too high. I double checked the signs opposite the school the other day and it had 80kph.
    Agree with the 30kph on the M50 slips, it's far too slow and very hard to do. I have also seen Gardai on the slip roads.

jeffk wrote: »
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    They're ridiculously low, as you said back when they were narrow country lanes the limit was much higher.

Ratoath Road / Cappagh Road? I strongly suspect it should never have been 80 km/h or 60 mph.
    nomesc wrote: »
    They could do with lowering the Powerstown Road speed limit. Two schools on the road with really bad blind spots exiting the school grounds and as you go further down the road to the back of IBM heading to Clonee it's as narrow and bendy. 80kph is too high. I double checked the signs opposite the school the other day and it had 80kph.
    Is this Powerstown Avenue? The plan is to have it as 60 km/h, with 50km/h at the schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Victor wrote: »
    Ratoath Road / Cappagh Road? I strongly suspect it should never have been 80 km/h or 60 mph.

it was to fast for the road then with houses on it and now its too slow with no houses and a much improved road

sure i remember being overtaken on the straight just after the bend with the cottage on the old road

the new speed limit is mostly or likely only followed because there is nearly always a speed camera on it

also the never ending roads works coming past cappagh with a 50 speed limit is beyond a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dodzy wrote: »

I heard that the first culprit of the above pair has been increased to 50kph, if someone would care to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

Victor wrote: »

Is this Powerstown Avenue? The plan is to have it as 60 km/h, with 50km/h at the schools.
    It says powerstown Road when you turn and my daughters school address is powerstown road, unless it changes.

The OSi Dublin Atlas refers to Powerstown Avenue. The proposed bye-laws refer to the western part as Belgree Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Has there been a rash of accidents and fatalities on these roads? Why the speed changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If they had only done sensible locations that would be fine. But when they put too slow a limit on something then put speed vans on it, I find it hard to take much of it seriously. They also put limits on roads which badly need them, but then hardly ever enforce them. In a age of information overload. Why is there no campaign show the accident black spots and the limits then set as appropriate.

The objective seems to be to catch people out, not slow them down.

beauf wrote: »
    Why is there no campaign show the accident black spots and the limits then set as appropriate.

The objective seems to be to catch people out, not slow them down.

There was, the gardai, or was it the state/RSA even put them all up on a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tadgh1087

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There was, the gardai, or was it the state/RSA even put them all up on a website.

The statement that cameras would be placed on roads where people have died is a load of rubbish. Regular locations like road out of Dublin airport, navan road near Halfway House, Stillorgan Road and the earlier mentioned M50 slip roads are not accident blackspots. It's a way to generate revenue and raise Garda conviction stats.

There are three circumstances:
    * Garda vans that can go anywhere, any time.
    * GoSafe vans doing speed checks for survey purposes.
    * GoSafe cans doing speed checks for the purpose of prosecutions.

• Advertisement

Tadgh1087 wrote: »
    The statement that cameras would be placed on roads where people have died is a load of rubbish. Regular locations like road out of Dublin airport, navan road near Halfway House, Stillorgan Road and the earlier mentioned M50 slip roads are not accident blackspots. It's a way to generate revenue and raise Garda conviction stats.

They may not be accident blackspots, but people have been killed in at least 2 of those spots you mentioned.

Possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...try going from 30kph to 100 kph on the slip road south bound M50 from Eastbound N4 and getting ahead of trucks doing 90-100 kph on slow lane of M50 not possible to do in the space allowed.

doolox wrote: »
    ...try going from 30kph to 100 kph on the slip road south bound M50 from Eastbound N4 and getting ahead of trucks doing 90-100 kph on slow lane of M50 not possible to do in the space allowed.
    Try taking the curve at 70km/h and end up in the middle of traffic before you complete the turn. :eek:

Advertisement