Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter Season 8 Episode 12 - Remember The Monsters? [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Wurly wrote: »
    The lumberjack thing is a pile of me hole. However someone commented on the FB page saying the following (which makes the ending sound rather smart, I must say)

"Dexter planned to kill himself. Anyone who thinks they can survive going headfirst into a tornado is an eejit. In a twisted miracle (one of those things Dexter admits he doesn't believe in, in this episode) the Dark Passenger's survival instincts keep the shell of Dexter alive. The Dark Passenger has become the Driver and lives on. That's why the final scene has no narration. There is no human there to narrate."

I don't think the writers are smart enough to think of that.

Personally I don't think that ending wouldn't have been so bad if it had a much much better build up to it. If we had a season where Dexter was on the run from the very start, being hunted by his own co-workers and in the end he accidentally gets Deb killed, or accidentally shoots her himself then the suicide attempt happens it wouldn't have been so bad.

Also, it was hilarious when Batista was like "you don't even work here..." in the interrogation room.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I didn't want ambiguity. I wanted a definitive ending. Not this cop out. Worst season and series finale I have yet seen. Pointless television. What they should have done is after season 4 have a three season story arc about Dexter killing a murderous ring of child molesters and pedophiles. String that out over 3 seasons boom good ending after all. None of this Deb killing LaGuerta crap which absolutely ruined the show imo.

God that made me angry haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

ibsVhdGulYWICE.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In many ways, the 'Masuka's daughter' plotline kinda summed up the season as a whole really: completely pointless, dreadfully plotted, contradicted established characters, it went absolutely nowhere and ultimately nobody cared that it all came to nothing.

I disagree that nobody cared it all came to nothing. Im seeing alot of anger online in relation to it. I wouldnt like to be Sara Colleton right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Also why did Saxon seemingly an experienced killer opt to stab Dexter in the shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Also why did Saxon seemingly an experienced killer opt to stab Dexter in the shoulder?

Why did he go after Deb. He wanted a truce with Dexter and now with Deb injured and Dexter going away he could have just disappeared. Instead with his face plastered all over tv he goes into a hospital packed with security to kill Deb which had no chance of happening. It was just plain stupid and their was no intensity to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So Deb dies but Hannah and Dexter get to live on with little consequence for the sh!t they've pulled> The Lost and Battlestar Galactica finales made me feel disappointed. This made me feel angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What a shít ending but it was expected after sitting through season 5! The whole series took a nose dive after season 4!

So many plot holes and contrivances, its hard to know where to start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Absolutely f*cking awful !!! :(

Possibly the worst ending of a show I've seen and one of the worst episodes of Dexter to boot. The writers should be ashamed of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The whole show was the daydream of a frustrated, bored, and lonely lumberjack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

OctavarIan wrote: »
    The whole show was the daydream of a frustrated, bored, and lonely lumberjack.

Was it ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Show f%cking started to go downhill after they killed off Lovely Rita! I kind of like the idea that the dark passenger has fully taken over and he is now a full on serial Killer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I would have enjoyed it more if they'd ended with his body washing up on the coast, and him opening his eyes and going 'Fuck!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

looks like Dexter spoke to Saul "who knows a guy, who knows a guy" and got "relocated" to a similar area as Mr White!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That last scene just smacked of "Hey, we're keeping our options open on a spin-off or movie."

Dexter dying wouldn't have been a bad ending, I would've actually liked that to happen but then they gave us that lumber yard pile of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

OMG best finale ever...lol jk.....

The writers of Season 8 need to be taken out and shot with balls of their own sh*te!!! >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

DnmsYlW.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

syklops wrote: »
    I disagree that nobody cared it all came to nothing. Im seeing alot of anger online in relation to it. I wouldnt like to be Sara Colleton right now.

I'm surprised; so little was done with that thread, it just kinda floated about for a spell, promised a little then came to nothing. It's hard to get angry about such a non-entity of a plot strand.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I used to a killer!
    Murdering from week to week to supress my dark passenger. Bodies floating down the Miami Depths. Rapists! Paedophiles! The persistent LaGuerta. The mighty Doakes! The suspicious Quinn! But then, with my S8 buddies, I forgot all that because I wanted to become a lumberjack!

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
    I left my son with Hannah McKay

He's a lumberjack and he's okay
    He left his son with Hannah McKay

I killed lots, I slaughterd much
    Sometimes indiscriminately
    On Sunday nights I want chopping
    And hurled their bodies in the sea

I strapped them down, I showed them pics
    Of why I had picked them
    But when it came to my sins
    My writers dropped the pen

He strapped them down, he showed them pics
    Of why he had picked them
    But when it come to his sins
    The writers dropped the pen...

The police were fools, Vogel was a joke
    Daniel was her son?
    Love now cures the killing lust
    Seriously WTF?!

The police were fools, Vogel was a joke
    Daniel.. Wait what did he say?
    He was her son? Well that's just stupid isn't it?
    They can't do that can they?
    But they already have! Let's carry on!

He left his son with Hannah McKaaaay

He left his son with Hannah McKaaaaay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he didnt, he aimed for his heart and Dexter dodged it somehow knowing he was going to stab him in the heart as opposed to the neck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maguic24 wrote: »
    OMG best finale ever...lol jk.....

The writers of Season 8 need to be taken out and shot with balls of their own sh*te!!! >.<

Just make them watch Season 8 over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

haha wow, that was just pathetic. Can't believe that's how they ended it. Probably the worst finale to a show ever,they basically spat all over what the show once was and the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Absolute rubbish. Season 4 climaxed with one of the most shocking TV moments ever, and the show has steadily gone downhill from then on. The last episode was an absolute joke. Never seen a show ruined this badly. Prison Break and Lost were bad, but this was just saddening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    I used to a killer!
    Murdering from week to week to supress my dark passenger. Bodies floating down the Miami Depths. Rapists! Paedophiles! The persistent LaGuerta. The mighty Doakes! The suspicious Quinn! But then, with my S8 buddies, I forgot all that because I wanted to become a lumberjack!

[snipped the genius]

Once more I award you one free internet sir; loved it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

The only thing I will miss about the show is the 50 odd minutes it gave me to catch up on the bb thread!

What about Saxon laying a lad flat out in the car park and stealing his car. People around with shopping trolleys don't see a thing!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Season 9 Teaser

XCzWbOI.png

Should have ended at season 7 with Deb shooting Dexter in the container

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I can't shake the feeling Breaking Bad has upset the grade curve. Seeing what I'd class as real brilliance and a conclusion to an arc really shows up the "just another season" feeling this season of Dexter. I know it's not as fresh or as smart or as logical as it used to be, but the show as a whole is still an incredible journey and excellent TV. Don't dismiss the whole series because of some mother hen clucking decisions. It's just a shame it didn't half live up to it's potential. I'm reminded of other poor series-enders, and just....it's an ending.

Personally I want either a happy ending, or a world-comes-to-an-end bloodshed ending, and we got a disappointing middle-ground. It feels like they shot extra scenes at the end of this season because they were unsure if they were doing S8. And when it was revealed it's all over, they went with what we got.

I wasn't overly fond of the extended use of obvious CGI but there wouldn't be a great way around it if that's what you wanted to do. Unsatisfied about
    Dexter's decision to abandon Hanna/Harrison, his lumberjack finish, the way Deb went out (practically "killed" off screen by a medical complication, not by a serial killer), and most of Miami metro never found out/got to bring Dexter to justice... Saxon is such an uninteresting baddie but he won the 'Dexter lottery' getting to be the one to end Dexter's life as we know it.

Even if it's not the best ending (or season), don't tar the many excellent seasons with the same brush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think the writers love affair with Hannah really ruined the last season - the last few episodes were just about preventing her from getting her comeuppance. she should have stayed gone at the end of last season. i think the worst scene of the finale was deb's death speech about how good Dexter was and how he deserved to live happily with his murdering girlfriend. i wnated Deb to survive and Dexter die. oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Dexter will go down in history as just another mediocre show, they should have ended it seasons ago and because of that the greatness that was the first few seasons has been sullied. I can't believe I spent 8 Years of my life on this. Incredibly disappointing finale and after this farcical season I am actually glad it's over so I don't have to sit through another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

What a bloody flop!

Poor CG work, poor writing and poor performances. While I would have been a strong ambassador of this show to my friends, I now feel embarrassed to mention that I still watch it. What a waste of time. I'm really reluctant to recommend this show to anyone now.

All we have to do is wait a week now, to see what a true ending should look like with breaking bad.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I can't shake the feeling Breaking Bad has upset the grade curve. Seeing what I'd class as real brilliance and a conclusion to an arc really shows up the "just another season" feeling this season of Dexter. I know it's not as fresh or as smart or as logical as it used to be, but the show as a whole is still an incredible journey and excellent TV. Don't dismiss the whole series because of some mother hen clucking decisions. It's just a shame it didn't half live up to it's potential. I'm reminded of other poor series-enders, and just....it's an ending.

I disagree; in my case, I don't watch Breaking Bad (tried seasons 1 & 2, and just didn't take to the show) and don't feel I'm being unfairly lopsided in any criticism of Dexter; heck, I watch mostly genre television so if anything my standards are probably lower than others :D I still find Dexter an execrable mess of plotting, dialogue and characterisation. "Excellent TV" maybe, taken as a whole of its run, but season 8 was a underwhelming misfire, and when it happens to be the finale of the whole series, that's pretty inexcusable to make such a cock-up of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Shocking. It just descended into pure farce in the end. He kills Deb immediately upon finding out her fate, carries her out to his boat (conveniently parked outside the front door of the hospital), dumps her body into the sea and drives into a dreadful looking CG hurricane, and then after Hannah scene he ends up still alive with a scruffy beard looking into the camera lens. The end. Unbelievable stuff. It's funny how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

I'd still recommend the first 4 seasons, they were quality TV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I only started watching Breaking Bad this year and I thought Dexter was on the way down for many years before that so I don't believe there is a "grade curve". The last season really was awful, and I mean awful from start to finish. Poor writing made me not give a flying **** about Hannah, I didn't give two hoots if she and Dexter lived happily ever after. Great characters like Batista and Quinn effectively written out of the show, poor old Deb being killed off screen by some medical complication, honestly the list is endless of how bad the show is or should I say how far it's fallen because I believe at one point it was the best show out there by a country mile.

I'm only even talking about the last episode! It's been horrible for a long time now. OK the scene where Dexter rolls Deb's body through a busy hospital and puts her in his boat parked outside is ludicrous!! But the one that made me literally LOL hard was the scene where Miami Metro apprehend Saxon... You think there's gonna be a standoff between him and Dexter, all of a sudden enter Batista, wam bam he's arrested and they walk off without even saying a word to Dexter about this??!! The writing was the worst I've ever seen.

To be honest, there was so many bad seasons, too many bad scenes, horrible plotholes for me to go into detail over so I'm just gonna stop.

This show was once what good TV shows should have been measured off. (seasons 1-4)...

They didn't end the show, they took it out the back, kicked it repeatedly and shot it in the face.

When Jamie was talking to Harrison in the hospital, I honestly expected him to tell her all about Hannah. There's a scene where she looks at Dexter strangely and for one moment, I thought she was going to go and tell Angel that Dexter was trying to leave the country with Hannah McKay, but it turned out just to be Jamie's worried or sympathetic face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Unfortunately the spoilers I read a couple of months ago turned out to be true to a tee. I say unfortunately not because I read them (I didn't have the patience to stick with it any more) but because I was hoping the writers couldn't possibly be so stupid.

Unbelievable really. To go from arguably the best ever series of television 4 years ago in season 4 to that abomination of a final season takes some doing.

As if it's expected of us to believe that a man with Dexter's personality would fake his own death while his son and love of his life are in Argentina.

It's no stretch to say that I've seen better in Coronation Street and Eastenders in recent times. Pathetic. A complete and utter waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have to admit I was a bit upset after watching the episode at how Deb ended up. Then the lumberjack ending came back to me and suspension of disbelief evaporated. Tbh, I saw Dexter's miraculous escape from a wrecked boat in a hurricane coming, no matter how implausible it was. It was just the sort of hackneyed ending we'd come to expect. Tbh, I wouldn't have been surprised if the blanket Deb was wrapped in turned out to be Quinn's magic blanket from Season 6 and it brought her back to life in Dexter's arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

A f*cking lumberjack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The lumberjack ending looks like a studio tacked on ending. Unwilling to completely kill a franchise that has made them so much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Jesus, that was a piss poor finale!

I was bawling at it because I'm a total softie, but jesus christ, I could sh*t better endings than that!!

Stark wrote: »
    I have to admit I was a bit upset after watching the episode at how Deb ended up. Then the lumberjack ending came back to me and suspension of disbelief evaporated. Tbh, I saw Dexter's miraculous escape from a wrecked boat in a hurricane coming, no matter how implausible it was. It was just the sort of hackneyed ending we'd come to expect. Tbh, I wouldn't have been surprised if the blanket Deb was wrapped in turned out to be Quinn's magic blanket from Season 6 and it brought her back to life in Dexter's arms.

What's this?
    NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Jesus, that was a piss poor finale!

I was bawling at it because I'm a total softie, but jesus christ, I could sh*t better endings than that!!

I wouldn't say I was bawling but Deb's ending was sad. It's a shame she didn't live and Dexter didn't die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

First of all. Not the ending the series deserves but actually fits the season.

Secondly, is it at all possible that another season is going to crop up? Is it even possible?

There are enough loose ends to make another. And what the hell came of masukas daughter?

El Inho wrote: »

Secondly, is it at all possible that another season is going to crop up? Is it even possible?

There are enough loose ends to make another. And what the hell came of masukas daughter?

I doubt it. A new cast would be a bit crap. Introducing brand new characters after 8 seasons wouldn't work. But keeping the current crop wouldn't work either, they're all so dull. And the only one who wasn't dull, Deb, is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

El Inho wrote: »

I think the main reason he is alive is because they want to leave the possibility of another season open. With the show ending as it did, it's perfectly set up for a disgustingly lazy reboot of the entire Dexter story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm surprised; so little was done with that thread, it just kinda floated about for a spell, promised a little then came to nothing. It's hard to get angry about such a non-entity of a plot strand.

Tbh I think the world/internet is still in shock. That was it? That turd was the end of one of my favourite shows? Really?

I know what you mean. What was the point of Masoukas daughter? There was a lot of back story they could have been showing, and instead Masouka gets a daughter. Considering we met Vogul in episode 1, why did we only learn about Saxon in around episode 8? If Vogul had told Matthews that she got interested in sociopathes after the murder of her son by her other son in episode 1, then maybe things would have been better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I feel abused after that rubbish.

There was a huge storm out at sea yet the water was perfectly calm when he threw Deb in.

He was able to just stroll out of a hospital pushing a bed with no questions asked at all.

Masukas daughter.

The ridiculous murder of Saxon and the aftermath of Batista just letting him leave.

The ****ing lumberjack, was anyone else expecting him to wink at the camera like he does during the opening credits?

There was so much wrong, I don't want to talk about it anymore :(

[...]
    The ridiculous murder of Saxon and the aftermath of Batista just letting him leave.
    [...]

Nevermind Batista, what was most galling about that whole scene was that they made an entire half-season based around the fact Quinn suspected Dexter to be a murderer. Now I just know the writers would fob any questions off with "oh, Quinn was grieving over Deb", but even the most emotional of us would have thought "holy ****, I was right all along" and certainly a better show than this would have done precisely that. It practically teed things up for an epic showdown between Quinn and Dex and yet somehow the writers contrived to swing and miss at their own set-ups. Insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

I genuinely don't know what to say. Awful, just awful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement