Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter Season 8 Episode 12 - Remember The Monsters? [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

That really made me upset.

At least that's the end of it now and unless they just get the whole writing / background staff of Season 4 in too write and inevitable Season 9 in a few years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

SDTimeout wrote: »
    That really made me upset.

At least that's the end of it now and unless they just get the whole writing / background staff of Season 4 in too write and inevitable Season 9 in a few years...

Thats the thing, it was ended very safely, and it has left it wide open for a sequel. If he had ridden off in the boat and been killed in the storm, I could live with that, but you just know a few years from now, some substandard team are going to do a Jurassic Park 3 on it and release a straight to video feature length episode, "Dexter returns to Miami for one last kill...". In fact they will call it "Dexter:Tonights the night", starring none of the original cast, and none of the original team. Free money for some faceless film-backer.

There was alot wrong with it, and with season 8 in general but if they were going to end it, they should have ended it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

J. Marston wrote: »
    What's this?

There was an episode in season 6 where Batista is unconscious in a house that's on fire. Quinn rushes in to save the day, picks up a blanket from a chair, gives the blanket a single flick and *poof*, the entire house fire is extinguished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

syklops wrote: »
    Thats the thing, it was ended very safely, and it has left it wide open for a sequel. If he had ridden off in the boat and been killed in the storm, I could live with that, but you just know a few years from now, some substandard team are going to do a Jurassic Park 3 on it and release a straight to video feature length episode, "Dexter returns to Miami for one last kill...". In fact they will call it "Dexter:Tonights the night", starring none of the original cast, and none of the original team. Free money for some faceless film-backer.

There was alot wrong with it, and with season 8 in general but if they were going to end it, they should have ended it.

Or they do a spin off starring a grown-up Harrison who's out to get revenge on the father who abandoned him...

vitani wrote: »
    Or they do a spin off starring a grown-up Harrison who's out to get revenge on the father who abandoned him...

If you have no imagination which seemingly most producers/writer don't, the possibilities are endless. A modern day set depiction of Lucretia Borgia starring Hannah McKay.

Batista moves to NYC and starts a restaurant called "Angelo's", and he solves crime in his spare time. Father Dowling meets CSI NY. There'll be regular cameos of Masouka as Angel sends him DNA to test.

Masouka's Daughter moves to London to open a book shop in Notting Hill and goes to night school in Forensics inspired by her crime fighting Dad. In the windy streets of London, and with her loveable side-kick Ralph, she uncovers a series of murders against young women and reveals the truth about some of London biggest mysteries... Whitechapel meets Black Books.

I would watch the Angel spin off... :D

vitani wrote: »
    I would watch the Angel spin off... :D

Tbh I would too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That was the biggest wash out of a 'finale' ever. Even as a season finale, let alone the definitive finale, it was just the worst out of any of the 8 seasons, half of which were incredibly medicore.

It needed an ending that had Dexter being led into Miami Metro in chains, a SWAT team raiding his/Debs house, a shot of Astor/Cody dropping a glass of milk that smashes on the ground as they see a newspaper headline about America's worst serial killer with a mugshot of Dexter, Dexter in Jail, talking to Harry before he dies, before finally, very aptly, being killed by Lethal Injection as Harry, then joined by Deb, look on, and Dexter smiles and actually looks happy as a tear rolls down his cheek, injection goes in, bang, show over, and I'm satisfied.

****ing lumberjack, what the actual ****.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

syklops wrote: »
    Batista moves to NYC and starts a restaurant called "Angelo's", and he solves crime in his spare time. Father Dowling meets CSI NY. There'll be regular cameos of Masouka as Angel sends him DNA to test.
    Ah but Angel and the others are awful at solving crimes. So instead we'd need a bit of a "Get Smart" or "Inspector Gadget" angle: Another person - his sister Jamie being the obvious choice - is the one who actually solves the crimes but Angel thinks he did. This way we could also spin it into a comedy/drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Vohnsom Hofmee

Kirby wrote: »
    Only one person ended up knowing Dexter's secret and living
    Lumen?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

TBH I would have been somewhat satisfied with that shoite ending if Dexter had of just sat down in his little lumberjack cabin and taken out a little lumberjack case to reveal a load of blood slides. That would have been less shíte, if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mr E wrote: »
    Sigh.

Not an awful final episode (I've seen worse). The burial at sea was pretty moving. They should have cut to credits after Hannah and Harrison's last scene - it would have been a better ending. The last scene made a joke of the whole thing.
    Agreed. I thought it was a pretty good episode, but the end was a let down. Either it should have ended ambiguously or with him showing up in Argentina to kill baddies there.

Dempsey wrote: »
    The lumberjack ending looks like a studio tacked on ending. Unwilling to completely kill a franchise that has made them so much money.

'We don't want to do any more episodes.'
    Execs: '...any more now. We get you'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

8 Series of loyal following and spreading the word of Dexter and they gave us a LUMBERJACK :eek:
    Season 8 should be removed from the universe. It was ridiculous to the extreme and made a mockery of everything that fans loved about Dexter. The entire season and especially the ending was just laughable. Let us all rewind to the end of season 7 with Deb shooting Dex. That is when they should have called Game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

1 or 2 things have been bothering me. Well, lots of things have, but let's keep it manageable.
    He tries to kill himself, yeah? Justified it in that it was the only way he could protect Hannah & Harrison. Fair enough.
    Somehow he manages to survive the CGI, so he stops and thinks...

Lumberjack

Wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

^
    I agree, it was ludicrous !
    I realised that he was going to kill himself after he dumped Debs in the ocean, I thought we were going to see him give himself a lethal injection of something and then fall into the water after Debs. Would have made a bit more sense than sailing into a storm, growing a beard, buying a check shirt and ending up hauling lumps of trees around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what was the deal with that beard? it was the stupidest looking beard ever. it's as if they filmed that scene and then someone said, 'hey, maybe it would look better if you had a beard' but there was no beard props about.
    so dexter just shaved his pubes and stuck them to his face.

i've seen better beards when cartman dresses up on south park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

1 or 2 things have been bothering me. Well, lots of things have, but let's keep it manageable.
    He tries to kill himself, yeah? Justified it in that it was the only way he could protect Hannah & Harrison. Fair enough.

Lumberjack

Wha?

I don't get the part he tried to kill himself. He drove into the storm yes but if he wanted to kill himself he would be dead not working as a lumberjack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

He doesn't try to kill himself..he says he wants to protect Hannah and Harrison so he has to remove himself from their lives. By driving into the storm it's a valid excuse for his body to go missing..no body = presumed dead..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

The amount of hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous! Granted, season 8 was bad, the ending was terrible but seasons 5-7 weren't THAT bad! They weren't on par with 1-4 but they were better then most of the ****e that's on tv! Victims of their own success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Burkatron wrote: »
    The amount of hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous! Granted, season 8 was bad, the ending was terrible but seasons 5-7 weren't THAT bad! They weren't on par with 1-4 but they were better then most of the ****e that's on tv! Victims of their own success!

Season 7 was good, and gave false hope for Season 8. 6 was awful, but still better than 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That was the biggest wash out of a 'finale' ever. Even as a season finale, let alone the definitive finale, it was just the worst out of any of the 8 seasons, half of which were incredibly medicore.

It needed an ending that had Dexter being led into Miami Metro in chains, a SWAT team raiding his/Debs house, a shot of Astor/Cody dropping a glass of milk that smashes on the ground as they see a newspaper headline about America's worst serial killer with a mugshot of Dexter, Dexter in Jail, talking to Harry before he dies, before finally, very aptly, being killed by Lethal Injection as Harry, then joined by Deb, look on, and Dexter smiles and actually looks happy as a tear rolls down his cheek, injection goes in, bang, show over, and I'm satisfied.

****ing lumberjack, what the actual ****.

I've actually forgotten about them. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder how Harrison's grandparents will feel about their grandchild having disappeared to Argentina with a serial killer.

Deb's death seems like an allegory for this show, its end is TV euthanasia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

People are being really picky here, the season wasnt very good so there wasn't a lot of possibilities for the ending but that was a lot better than Dexter and Hannah living happily in Argentina, what a lot of ****e that would have been.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    I wonder how Harrison's grandparents will feel about their grandchild having disappeared to Argentina with a serial killer.

And his older brother and sister. And poor Quinn is going to be wondering where his girlfriend's body is - I'm sure he'd have appreciated a grave to visit.

People are being really picky here, the season wasnt very good .

Not very good? Thats a bit of an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

202cde_629960.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

sink wrote: »
    I just realised neither of them [Masuka and his daughter] even featured in the episode at all. WTF were the writers doing, dedicating screen time to a plot line that went literally nowhere? Jesus, the whole season was a train wreck.

Here's what that fool Scott Buck says about that:

We've spent eight years with these characters and we want some feeling of where their lives are going to go. With Masuka (C.S. Lee) and his daughter (Madison Burge), it was meant to be a simple nod to the fact that Masuka hasn't been the most sexless character we've ever seen on the show and the irony that the one satisfying relationship with a woman that he would finally have would be with his daughter. It was really just attempting to give closure to a lot of our characters.

F*ck right off. I could have shat a better ending.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dexter-series-finale-showrunner-scott-632536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

After the worst i assume ending ever, they want to keep the franchise alive?!

Deb didnt deserve that ending & buried at sea, like all his other victims, & how he got her out of the hospital...?

It would have been better off ending with Dexter heading off against the hurricane, better ending i'd say.

I think that was the only funny thing in it when Hannah noticed what happened to Dexter, turned around to Harrison & said 'fancy some ice cream'
    :)

I was glad to see yer wan who played Hannah come into the show, after what she was capable of elsewhere acting. As season 7 wasnt bad, i think its when he fell for at the end of Season 7, when he changed his mind on killing her & went a bit mushy then on, as two ep left he turned her in??

I thought when i heard her coming back in S8, i thought she had an ulterior motive for Dexter turning her in & slowly but surely reeling him until i thought/hoping at the very end, he had the real killer in Saxon/Vogel's long lost son & then to finally realise that Hannah's
    Saxon's half-sister & her to take her revenge out on him & take Harrison away ;), as that would be the perfect storm, instead we got a hurricane :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

The logger bit was incredibly stupid. They should have ended it with Dexter sailing off into the hurricane to do himself in after Deb's death. That ending would have made sense.

How did he get back from the hurricane that tore his boat apart? Swim through 2-3 miles of hurricane-tossed ocean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The logger bit was incredibly stupid. They should have ended it with Dexter sailing off into the hurricane to do himself in after Deb's death. That ending would have made sense.

How did he get back from the hurricane that tore his boat apart? Swim through 2-3 miles of hurricane-tossed ocean?

Don't you watch the show?

It's "Dexter", he hacked into the Federation of Weather control, and briefly stopped the hurricane to make his escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Don't you watch the show?

It's "Dexter", he hacked into the Federation of Weather control, and briefly stopped the hurricane to make his escape.

Using reverse spyware of course.

Lumberjack

Wha?
    Amnesia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Remember that seemingly pointless scene in the penultimate episode where Dexter is trying to sell his yacht? Well, that was actually clever foreshadowing!
    Was it always Dexter's plan to survive after he sailed into the hurricane?
    He knows exactly what he's doing there; he's putting his boat in the path of the hurricane, which will then allow him to escape in this way. It is mentioned in an earlier episode that he does have an emergency life raft aboard that boat and you can look back and see he had a plan, he just didn't know what it was.
    From http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dexter-series-finale-showrunner-scott-632536

So Dexter's yacht was torn to pieces but apparently a crappy little life raft was able to withstand the hurricane.

It honestly feels like they were deliberating taking the piss with the finale. The Dexter Facebook page even posted this quote: “Hey, how about we go get some ice cream, yeah?” –Hannah

Which was one of the most dumbest things said in the finale and summed up how crap it was.

The only thing for it, maybe this whole thread on Season 8 should be deleted, so we can try & forget it.

although maybe the writers had a warped sense of humour as Dexter was a sort of demon barber? Well I'm gonna cheer myself up with this hopefully: :)

Of course i draw the line on
    wearing womens' clothing & hang around in bars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Of course i draw the line on
    wearing womens' clothing & hang around in bars!

Fcuk no, you gotta embrace it

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

My god that was so bad. As in easily the worst thing I've ever seen.

As in with other finales I didn't like, I can at least sympathise with what the writers were going for. What the **** were they going for here.

**** those writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I didn't even know this was ending. I don't bother watching the "coming up next week" bit on shows I know I'll watch anyway and I don't read newspapers or magazines about TV and celebrities.. So it was a big surprise to me.
    Did anything come out of Masuka's daughter story line? Or was it literally the most pointless thing on TV ever.
    I don't see why it had to go anywhere. It just turned out he had a daughter.

It was all a bit rushed, and the lumberjack bit was a complete cop out that didn't need to be done. If they wanted to continue the series they could have gone the lumberjack route then.

At least there was no happy ending.

• Advertisement

The lumberjack bit wouldn't have been so bad if it was a flashforward at the start of season 5, and if a completely different S5 was the final season.

The real problem is that literally everything was wrong with that season; it's story arc, its credability, its characters, the events that defined it, and so on; the lumberjack thing just personifies everything wrong with the season.

I've rewatched that last 30 seconds countless times the past few days, and there is a certain powerful sense of unspeakable depression about it that could have worked as a sort of the 'fate worse than death' angle they've tried to go for- if only the season itself wasn't such, frankly, a piece of ****.

I get what they were going for with the Lumberjack thing. To an extent, the idea works, just not how they did it. They didn't go far enough to properly explain how utterly soulless and burdened by his once-so-desperately-wanted humanity his very existance is and the fact that such an ending would critically rely on the events preceding it.

I guess really it's not so much the lumberjack thing as it is how they got to that point. It was a disgrace to the show, what it once was, and to the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I feel cheated. 8 series' and Miami Metro still haven't a clue what happened. Prosthetic beard my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see why it had to go anywhere. It just turned out he had a daughter.

Posting this again:

With Masuka (C.S. Lee) and his daughter (Madison Burge), it was meant to be a simple nod to the fact that Masuka hasn't been the most sexless character we've ever seen on the show and the irony that the one satisfying relationship with a woman that he would finally have would be with his daughter. It was really just attempting to give closure to a lot of our characters.

Lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

:D

I5bbAes.png

How the Dexter Final Scene Should Have Ended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I was watching the ending half expecting the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme to start playing, it was that farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kirby wrote: »
    Only one person ended up knowing Dexter's secret and living.....and she wasn't even an original character.
    Lumen?

No, Lumen died on the way back to her home planet. Like Poochie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

How the Dexter Final Scene Should Have Ended

He had a 'Subscribe' button on that video. Should change it to 'Subscriiiibe Muth****a'

Advertisement