Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter Season 8 Episode 12 - Remember The Monsters? [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Shocking ending, but didn't expect it to be great anyway. They must have lost a few of their original writers because if they were the same ones they have lost the plot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Strange ending

Not having time to research it, but what was the reasoning/logic/significance of the lumberjack ending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Shoddy spin off potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Burkatron wrote: »
    The amount of hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous! Granted, season 8 was bad, the ending was terrible but seasons 5-7 weren't THAT bad! They weren't on par with 1-4 but they were better then most of the ****e that's on tv! Victims of their own success!

This show died with Rita. Seasons 1 & 2 were very good, way above average, season 4 was lifted above average by Lithgow.

Season 6 was the nadir until now with the whole 'oh he was dead all along!!' 'twist' which anyone with a brain could see coming from episode 2. Gave up after episode 1 of season 7, but I think I might download the finale for when I need a laugh.

A fu<king LUMBERJACK!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

This only looks bad now on the writers now, as who'd hire them after that shoddy ending & the writers afaik are defending the ending, good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The real problem is that literally everything was wrong with that season; it's story arc, its credability, its characters, the events that defined it, and so on; the lumberjack thing just personifies everything wrong with the season.

I've rewatched that last 30 seconds countless times the past few days, and there is a certain powerful sense of unspeakable depression about it that could have worked as a sort of the 'fate worse than death' angle they've tried to go for- if only the season itself wasn't such, frankly, a piece of ****.

I get what they were going for with the Lumberjack thing. To an extent, the idea works, just not how they did it. They didn't go far enough to properly explain how utterly soulless and burdened by his once-so-desperately-wanted humanity his very existance is and the fact that such an ending would critically rely on the events preceding it.

I guess really it's not so much the lumberjack thing as it is how they got to that point. It was a disgrace to the show, what it once was, and to the fans.

Showtime don't seem to be aware of how bad it was. If they do realise, I am kind of hoping they do a Hulk/Incredible Hulk on it and just redo season 8.

Or that some billionaire industrialist entrepreneur playboy massive-dexter-fan buys showtime and goes "Must do better with dexter final season"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Take that Lumberjack scene. And imagine that, instead of the distant Northwest, Dexter is actually sitting in court, with the same vacant, empty expression, beard and all, albiet in a suit this time - no inner monologue, no reaction, nothing whatsoever, as he is sentenced to death. It could have been the most powerful scene in the shows history. And ideally it would have arrived at that point via the death of Deb, Hannah being arrested, Harrison being taken away, and the whole world knowing about his true, serial killer self. But at that point, Dexter wouldn't care, he's lost all that he loved, and it's his own fault, and he'd rather die than live with that. That would lead up to Clyde Philips proposed ending with Dexter on the table facing execution as all those that he has killed looking on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

walshb wrote: »
    Strange ending

Not having time to research it, but what was the reasoning/logic/significance of the lumberjack ending?

Apparently, it was because Dexter started with chainsaws so ended with chainsaws. If that is really what they were going for, they could have done with actually mentioning the origin again at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Apparently, it was because Dexter started with chainsaws so ended with chainsaws. If that is really what they were going for, they could have done with actually mentioning the origin again at some point.

Jesus. They might've given the lad a chainsaw in the final scene so. Especially considering he's a bloody lumberjack now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Oh yeah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Sigh. I love Dexter. Or I loved Dexter. I'm not sure anymore.

The show deserved a better send off. The first 4 seasons were brilliant television and there were a couple seasons after that that were fairly good.

rdkMO75.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

A little annoyed at the ending, and the whole episode just felt like meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

walshb wrote: »
    Strange ending

Something to do with Dexter being dead, and the Dark Passenger being the one in control now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

Very much seems like it was left open for a tv movie or another season in a few years. Such a poor ending, its actually hard to imagine how the writers got it so completely wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Ending really was terrible!

I've been thinking back over the series for the last week now and there were a few things I just didn't get...

Vogel had mentioned a few times that she was surprised by Dexter's empathy towards Deb, and he clearly had feelings towards Hannah as well - I honestly thought they were going in the direction that Dexter was never really a psychopath at all, maybe just a troubled kid with a fascination for blood due to what he had seen - that the whole "code" had created the killer rather than saving one. The ice-truck outside the hospital reminded me of how Dexter had admired the bloodless corpses back in season 1 as well - maybe that was just some indication of another bloodless killing i.e. Deb

Then when Dex had Saxon on his kill table and realised he didn't want to be there, but with the person he "loved", it seemed that the Dark Passenger was all but finished, that Dexter had realised he didn't need to kill any more.

We saw how easily Saxon killed his own mother, yet Dexter had on a few occasions stopped in mid kill because something about it troubled him - Hannah, Zach. A couple of seasons before that we saw his remorse when he actually killed somebody who turned out to be innocent of the crime he was killed for.

I thought the monologue-less scene at the end was a sign that the Dark Passenger was now gone, that he just wanted a simple life, but then that phone conversation with Harrison - “I want you to remember that every single day until I see you again. Daddy loves you.” - so does he actually intend his lumberjack gig to be temporary while he deals with all the people he has killed unnecessarily, then to meet up with Harrison and Hannah again?

Anyway, just my confused ramblings, trying to make sense of it all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I would have thought the last scene meant that as he was free of family friends, he could lose the whole internal monologue and become a full out serial killer free from Harry's Code! But then again the writing was so poor I doubt they put as much thought into it as we are!

RainMaker wrote: »
    I thought the monologue-less scene at the end was a sign that the Dark Passenger was now gone

I thought so too. I think he's now destined to live burdened by the haunting weight of human emotion he chased after for so long. That's his punishment.

I thought so too. I think he's now destined to live burdened by the haunting weight of human emotion he chased after for so long. That's his punishment.

If that was made clearer, then, perhaps.... Tbh, I am not giving the last moments a lot of thought because the producers and writers clearly gave Season 8 very little thought. Its like Episode 1 of Star Wars, they brought in a team of teenagers, "Fresh eyes", who had no investment in the programme. For them its a knock-out on their CVs, and as junior writers, mistakes in direction are not their fault. "Wouldn't it be so cute for Masouka to have a daughter?" "Oh! Yeah! And! Hannah looks better with blonde hair so lets let her keep her hair blonde and just ignore the security issue", "Yeah and to the new audience it may not be obvious Dex is stalking Saxon, so lets have a big ol' sign pointing at him outside the restaurant".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It's taken me this long to watch the last 2 episodes. That's a Friday night well spent :(

The hell was that? I was on a different tab when I realised Deb was in trouble so went back to see if I'd missed something but no. A better ending would have been Ryan Gosling applying the ending to "Drive" having killed Dexter....it wouldn't have been original and it would've incited a great deal of anger but at least it's a WTF that is WTF worthy. If you're going to end well then......

......I'm not sure how much of the later part of that paragraph made sense, just like this season. Surprise Muthafu**a!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

A load of ****e. The whole scene where he takes Deb from the hospital was cringeworthy, would someone not have noticed someone wheeling a gurney towards the boat?!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I watched this last night and I am absolutely disgusted. :mad:

Both Mr. Merkin and I agreed "lets just get this over with" which was a pretty low bar to have set ourselves for the show's finale yesterday evening but I'm glad we did. What the feckity fcuk was that all about? I only came to Dexter last year and really enjoyed binging on the boxsets (Seasons 1-4 were phenomenal) but if I had been a fan from the start and had dedicated eight years of my life to watching this show I'd be incandescent right now tbh.

The writers let everyone down so badly (and that includes the cast). They've insulted our intelligence, the scriptwriting was lazy and patronizing and the gargantuan gaps in reality like Dexter just carrying the dead Debra onto a conveniently located boat in front of the hospital is just ridiculous. :rolleyes: And Miami Metro really didn't feature in most of Season 8 bar the complete time wasting secondary "story" of Masuka's daughter (who cares?) instead concentrating on truly appalling acting by Vogel and the afterthought of Saxon. So many loose ends were just left hanging there too.

The logical end would be for Hannah to have done away with Dexter but she just exited like a damp fart as well.......

It's just SO disappointing. :( I also think they're obviously leaving it open for another Season, regardless of what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Meh! Just got around to watching it and it was poo!

Anyone watching Breaking Bad concurrently - that is how one conducts a finale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyone watching Breaking Bad concurrently - that is how one conducts a finale.

Yep they should have quit while they were ahead probably after season 4 tbh.
    I used to look forward to Dexter but the last season was so badly written and so un-Dexter like that if it had been the show's first season instead of it's last it would have been cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'll never get that 72 mins back:(

The ending was awful, the script was awful, the acting was awful. But maybe Dex will turn up in Axe Men on History:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

time to unfollow this thread and pretend it never happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Just watched it. I watched Dexter from the beginning. It peaked with the Trinity killer and went down hill from there. After the end of last season this season had a lot of protental, but sadly it didn't live up to it. Sad that Dexter will now be remember for it's terrible ending! It's was ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I've been a big fan of this show for a long time. The books as well were great and much darker.

Having enjoyed the dark humour and the way earlier seasons were shot and the tension in storylines, I have to say that this final season was very poor. I found Dexter's relationship with Zac unbelievable....that kid killed an innocent woman and Dexter decides to take him on as his apprentice....wtf.

Mogel was annoying beyond belief and her son was a complete washout as a villain....

A terrible way to end a great show....sloppy beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Only just watched this and I am appalled. Shocked and appalled.

I am disgusted. A Fúcking lumberjack. :mad:

Can't see him enjoying that...seems like a lot of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Watched the last one last night..

As most people have said it was pretty ****.

1) Vince Masuka's daughter ? .. why ? .. umm why ?
    2) Hannah wiping out a horse tranquilizer ? -- Never leave home with out it !
    3) Wheeling dead Deb out of the hospital !.. Not one person questions it.. ( I kinda see why he threw her off the both as he blames himself for her death.. and this is the way he disposes of all people he kills )
    4) After sailing away and his both turning up in pieces.. how did he get back to shore to "survive" ?
    5) Leaving your only son with a killer !

There's loads more ..

When they start these things.. they should never let people know how many seasons there will be.. so they can end it better.

A f|_|cking Horse tranquilizer !! really !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

NeVeR wrote: »
    4) After sailing away and his both turning up in pieces.. how did he get back to shore to "survive" ?

The storm was CGI clearly!!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

The storm was CGI clearly!!

:pac:

lol.. yes.. but in TV land how did he get back lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Didn't bother watching the last 2 episodes. Every time I watched an episode this series I couldn't wait for it to be over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

le la rat wrote: »
    Didn't bother watching the last 2 episodes. Every time I watched an episode this series I couldn't wait for it to be over.
    So you're posting here because....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Thought I was in dexter main thread apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Just watched the last episode, meh! Enjoyed the show though, house of cards next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

thank f%ck its over. they should of ended it when Trinity killed his wife and that scene with her and Harrison in the blood.
    the last two series defied logic, were too unbelievable and not plausible. The finale was one of the worst things I have ever witnessed. Like a B Movie or something. they ruined what was a great series by just not knowing when to stop!!!

and keeping him alive, be sure Showtime have more up their sleeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Definitely should have ended with Season 4, it's been absolute pants since and like you, I breathed a sigh of relief when over, it just became utterly ridiculous.

NeVeR wrote: »
    Watched the last one last night..

As most people have said it was pretty ****.

1) Vince Masuka's daughter ? .. why ? .. umm why ?
    2) Hannah wiping out a horse tranquilizer ? -- Never leave home with out it !
    3) Wheeling dead Deb out of the hospital !.. Not one person questions it.. ( I kinda see why he threw her off the both as he blames himself for her death.. and this is the way he disposes of all people he kills )
    5) Leaving your only son with a killer !

There's loads more ..

When they start these things.. they should never let people know how many seasons there will be.. so they can end it better.

A f|_|cking Horse tranquilizer !! really !!

leaving airport because of a terrorist alert, on the way out they change their mind and say the weather is closing the airport for the foreseeable

forgot about Mazukas daughter...exactly what the feck was that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

saucers82 wrote: »
    forgot about Mazukas daughter...exactly what the feck was that about?

The producers said something along the lines of it showing him having a proper relationship with a woman. Don't shoot the messenger.

Eoin wrote: »
    The producers said something along the lines of it showing him having a proper relationship with a woman. Don't shoot the messenger.

seeing her tits was the only thing worthwhile about the character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

saucers82 wrote: »
    seeing her tits was the only thing worthwhile about the character

Hannah is wayyyyy hotter but I see where you're coming from.

its a pitty Deb didnt have a naked scene, may have spiced things up ;)

skeg16 wrote: »
    Hannah is wayyyyy hotter but I see where you're coming from.

deb be like f**king a bag of spanners, not enough meat on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yuck, she looks better suited to a part in the walking dead.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed, but her elbows would be like daggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Ahhh hear....ye are all too fussy, are you tell me you wouldn't hit this - SFW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ahhh hear....ye are all too fussy, are you tell me you wouldn't hit this - SFW

Maybe with a brick :pac:

Some times she looks great, but others she looks awful. Either way, she wouldnt be my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thanks for the Breaking bad spoiler, Japandamo.
    Think I'll head on over to the breaking bad thread and post the Dexter ending..............

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

mikom wrote: »
    Thanks for the Breaking bad spoiler, Japandamo.
    Think I'll head on over to the breaking bad thread and post the Dexter ending..............

Ah, sorry.

To be honest you'd probably be doing people a favour if you did, though.

Genuinely sorry about that slip though, it won't help you but I've fixed that bit, thanks. I was still reeling from Dexter and not thinking straight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement