Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Shaving Socket wiring

Options
  • 23-09-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Probably a totally easy problem to fix for any electrician and I'll probably need to call one out to fix my problem but just out of my own interest I thought I'd throw the question out there and see what.

Short summary of problem - I have a Shaving Socket with a light attached above my sink in the ensuite, light turns on with pull cord. After using the shaver socket it continued "humming" quite loudly. When I switched the particular circuit off at the fuse box it would stop and then when I switched it back on at the fuse box it started again. Possibly a transformer issue.

Anyways, I don't really use the shaver socket or light that much so I decided to disconnect the wiring. The choice was to either have the upstairs lights working but loud humming or no lights upstairs and no humming. So I turned the switch off at the fuse box and disconnected 2 blue wires and 1 brown wire from the shaver socket. I joined the 2 blue wires together using Unibond electrical tape to complete the circuit and bring power to the upstairs lights, I wrapped the tip of the brown wire with the same tape and left not connected to anything.

I'm not silly enough to think that this is a long term solution and something would need to be done. Would it be a big job for an electrician to just get rid of these wires or make them permanently safe?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It would not be a big job.
    It may be cheaper and neater to simply replace the existing light/socket with a new light.
    Otherwise you may need to replace tiles and / or install an ugly junction box.

My advice is to switch off the circuit until the electrician arrives.
    Joining mains voltage cables with tape alone is not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Thanks Mod, must find an electrician now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Definitely get an electrician ASAP as taped wires are never a very safe solution and could easily fail to make proper contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd also add that lighting circuits are not usually protected by an RCD. So there's a serious risk of shock if you touch them (especially in a bathroom with bare wet feet)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

A regular bathroom striplight, without the shaver socket is about 16.00 euro.
    If you buy and fit one of these, its just the reverse of what you did to disconnect the existing one and you still have the convenience of the light.

• Advertisement

A regular bathroom striplight, without the shaver socket is about 16.00 euro.
    If you buy and fit one of these, its just the reverse of what you did to disconnect the existing one and you still have the convenience of the light.

Thanks Indie,

Yeah that's the route I'm going to take, have been looking into a new striplight, they are €19.99 in B&Q and comes with a shaver socket, cheap and cheerful. It'll be far cheaper option that getting an Electrician for €60 or so to make the wires safe with no striplight.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

The shaver socket is handy if you use it, but if not a regular striplight will do the job. If you post up the name or model of the old one, i might be able to point you in the direction of getting the same one.

The shaver socket is handy if you use it, but if not a regular striplight will do the job. If you post up the name or model of the old one, i might be able to point you in the direction of getting the same one.

I'll have to wait to get home, don't know the make or model off hand, I'd say it was installed about 16 years ago with the house so doubt they'd make them anymore, although I'm no expert on striplights etc. Will post the info later on tonight though

Advertisement