Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea - Full of s**t

Options
  • 23-09-2013 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Was there yesterday with the fourlegged child, :P however I was utterly shocked at the amount of dog s**t about the place.

Obviously many dog owners bring a poop bag with them, but far too many frankly don't give a damn. And with all dogs having to be on a lead, the owners know damn well their dogs have done the dirt!

Beside a picnic bench in the carpark 3 piles of it, at the entrance to the park area a single huge pile, along the path towards the coffee shack I counted four further piles, then on a short walk around the pond there were at least a dozen piles - we cut our visit short at that stage and went home.

An absolute utter disgrace and for anyone thinking of vsiiting be well aware of what you will be facing. The grass on the field areas has not been cut, so its also far too easy to walk in a pile of s**t without being able to see it.

Compare that to the beaches in Kerry where I go quite often - dogs very welcome and many of the better beaches will have hundreds of dogs on them each day. Almost ZERO dog poop cos they provide muttmitts dog bags at the entrance to the beach and a bin to put the stuff in.

Surely with a tiny part of the €5 parking fee, Coillte could put a a few muttmitt posts up in the park and strictly enforce a few fines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I don't have a dog but I'd imagine people see no point picking up the dog poo because there are no bins, what are they supposed to do? Walk around with it in their pockets for 2 hours?

It's hard enough getting people to clean up after their dog on the green outside their house.

A few bins dotted around the place would go a long way.

Waiting for the inevitable €5 is cheap crusaders, it may be cheap, but not good value. Have a look at Lough Key just past Carrick on Shannon, that place is done amazingly well between Coillte and Roscommon CoCo, if we had something similar in Donadea it'd be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Staplor wrote: »
    what are they supposed to do? Walk around with it in their pockets for 2 hours?

Yes, anyone with a bit of common decency would pick it up and walk around with it in the bag.

My fella likes to spread out his bowel movements at least 3 times over the duration of his walk so i bring a few bags and carry them with me until I find a bin. If i don't find a bin it stays in the boot with him until we get home to dispose of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

But people don't have common decency, that was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Thanks for highlighting this. As someone who doesn't have a dog but who has used the forest for walks with kids in the past I will be avoiding the place from now on. Shame on coillte for their money grabbing approach, it is expensive to visit for a walk, considering it is in the middle of the countryside.

Really though, shame on the dog owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

It is only the minority of dog owners as there were plenty of dog owners carrying their little bags. But unfortunately, the usual non caring few (by the size of the poops, they are from bigger dogs) don't give a damn and ruin what should be a great place for families.

€5 would be great value if the money was used on keeping the place clean and providing bags/bins for dog owners just like they do in other areas with huge success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement