Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious lectricity consumption

Options
  • 23-09-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has ever come across a meter that was faulty and giving out false readings. My own electricity bills are always about twice as much as those of neighbours (€400 instead of €200 bimonthly) with similar type houses and occupancy. All of these neighbours seem to have a fairly consistent figure with each other with my own bill being the odd one out. I do not run a business or have anything unusual that might cause such an increase in my bills and have in fact been doing my utmost to reduce the costs with little or no effect. Some of my neighbours have young children which means they are running their heating for much longer periods than I am.
    I would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Shut off everything in your house and see does the meter stop. Sonething else could be powered off your supply.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We get quite a few threads like this.
    Here is a recent thread on this subject:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057022184

I would guess that in excess of 99% of the ESB meters are not faulty.

My advice would be to install an Owl Energy meter (cost of about €50, quick & easy to install).
    I think that you will find that it will pay for itself quite quickly.
    This will allow you to see your energy consumption in real time.
    that way you will be able to identify when you are using large amounts of electricity. The immersion is a common culprit.

Advertisement