Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

couch to ironman 70.3

Options
  • 23-09-2013 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Brief Summary:

for the past 4 years, i kept telling my self this is going to be the year, i'll train and do a Triathlon. but as the weeks came and went i still didn't start my training, kept telling my self i do one next year

So last year i said i'll do one this year knowing fully i wouldn't do it i went online and sign-up, forcing me to train so i done my first Triathlon last year.

Now that its out of the way and i can do one, i have higher goals i want to do an Ironman 70.3 next year either the Galway or the kenmare lost sheep.

The Plan:

My Weeks are going to be from Monday - Sunday,
    first 5 weeks are base building getting me up to running at around 11 or 15 km by the end of 5 weeks,

the next few weeks after that are Endurance weeks
    building up the miles on the bike and on the run,

after the Endurance weeks i will do around 3 weeks Recovery taken the training nice and easy.

For any one wishing to fully or give tips i will post up my Training and what i have eating during that week, I didn't take any notes on what i was eating on Week 1. so i will be starting this week on the food diary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Monday

6AM -> 1km Swim
    6PM -> 5km Run

Tuesday

6AM -> 60 Min Cycle WattBike

Wednesday

6AM -> 1km Swim

Thursday

6AM -> 60 min Cycle WattBike

Friday

6AM -> 5km Run

6PM -> TRX
    6:30PM -> Ab/Core Training
    7PM -> Spinning

Saturday

Rest

Sunday

9 AM -> 74.4 Km Cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck with it - just a point to note there is no Ironman 70.3 races in Ireland (the galway one is gone). You will have plenty of options though for doing a race of the same distance.

Tri an Mhi, Humbert, Groomsport, Shadowman and Lost Sheep are all spread out throughout the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Cork24 wrote: »
    Brief Summary:

for the past 4 years, i kept telling my self this is going to be the year, i'll train and do a Triathlon. but as the weeks came and went i still didn't start my training, kept telling my self i do one next year

So last year i said i'll do one this year knowing fully i wouldn't do it i went online and sign-up, forcing me to train so i done my first Triathlon last year.

Now that its out of the way and i can do one, i have higher goals i want to do an Ironman 70.3 next year either the Galway or the kenmare lost sheep.

The Plan:

My Weeks are going to be from Monday - Sunday,
    first 5 weeks are base building getting me up to running at around 11 or 15 km by the end of 5 weeks,

the next few weeks after that are Endurance weeks
    building up the miles on the bike and on the run,

after the Endurance weeks i will do around 3 weeks Recovery taken the training nice and easy.

For any one wishing to fully or give tips i will post up my Training and what i have eating during that week, I didn't take any notes on what i was eating on Week 1. so i will be starting this week on the food diary.

Having a structure to your training is important to staying on track to reach your goals. My only suggestion comes in ignorance of where you are and what background you are coming from, don't make too many drastic changes to either your lifestyle or diet too soon.

You could become too focussed on the short term results and less on the long term gains and suffer from demotivation along the way.

Best of luck with everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Monday

6AM -> 1.5km Swim in pool, This was done at a pace of 32 min / mile.

6PM -> 7.5km Run this was taken place in the gym on a treadmill with an Avg of 9.41 per mile

Tuesday

6AM -> 30 km Cycle on a Wattbike with an RPM of 80 - 90

Wednesday

6.30 -> 8.65 km Run Avg pace of 9.48 per mile

Thursday

6.30 -> 31.9 km Cycle on a Wattbike with 10 min warm up of 80 - 87 RPM, then 105 + RPM for 2 minutes with 8 min Rest done 4 times then a cool down of 6 min.

Friday

This was a Rest Day

Saturday

8.30AM -> 90 Km Cycle this was a Long Ride Route Taken was City -> Coach Ford -> Macroom -> Bandon -> Kinsale.

Sunday

2PM -> 1.3 km Recovery Swim,

Was hoping to get out for a Run later on in the day but chest is not felling the best and don't want to push myself to where my chest will be unforgiving

Next Week, i am hoping to have atlest 2 Spinning Classes Monday & Wednesday..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FJR

• Advertisement
Advertisement