Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheels on Dun Laoghaire piers

Options
  • 23-09-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭

We went for a walk with our son on the East pier on Sunday evening. Lovely setting sun, very pleasant atmosphere. We got as far as the bandstand when we saw the sign banning anything with wheels apart from buggies. The only exception is for bicycles before 1pm on the lower level of the East pier. There was an earlier sign but we'd missed it. If I remember correctly, it's been in place a few years but I'd forgotten about it. So we had to turn around and cancel our trip along the pier; our son was on his scooter. He's too small to walk the length of it but too big to be carried.
    The time restriction is a bit limiting for families; is there some valid reasoning behind the ban?

According to the wording on the sign, I'm also breaking the law when I cycle to the end of the west pier at lunch time to sit on a bench and eat my sandwich.
    Is that correct? If so, does anyone know why bikes are banned from the west pier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Yeah, I noticed those new signs on my last visit. I saw plenty kids on those "snake boards" and scooters though.
    I can't see why this should be an issue on weekdays. Perhaps there is some justification on busy Sundays etc not to have bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You must be one of the few people that take notice OP. I see plenty of kids on scooters down there.

I can understand the cycling ban on the east pier, but the west pier seems quiet enough to allow cyclists any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Never seen it enforced.
    My kids cycle & scoot a fair bit on it as do others.

Maybe it's an insurance disclaimer thing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I would imagine it does come down to insurance. The west pier has a very different surface and the east pier is very popular so H&S dictates everybody on foot at "peak times" (from an insurers perspective).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Less chance of kids disappearing over the edge if they aren't on wheels I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭josip

According to the Harbour Company on Facebook

"The Bye Laws to which you refer are in place primarily to help ensure the safety of pedestrians walking the East Pier. As you are no doubt aware the East Pier is a very popular walking venue, and given the relatively narrow width, coupled with the hazard of open water to one side, it is felt that the presence of cyclists, skateboards etc on a busy day presents a significant hazard to pedestrians on the pier. Afternoons, as you point out, tend to be busier than mornings hence the time element of the Bye Law.

We have also suffered from anti-social behaviour from certain elements within the cycling and skateboarding community, however the health and safety concern above is the primary reason for the provisions in the Bye Laws. Unfortunately a case of having to legislate for a minority who disrespect other users of the Pier."

Have there been (m)any cases of kids going over the edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

josip wrote: »
    According to the Harbour Company on Facebook

"The Bye Laws to which you refer are in place primarily to help ensure the safety of pedestrians walking the East Pier. As you are no doubt aware the East Pier is a very popular walking venue, and given the relatively narrow width, coupled with the hazard of open water to one side, it is felt that the presence of cyclists, skateboards etc on a busy day presents a significant hazard to pedestrians on the pier. Afternoons, as you point out, tend to be busier than mornings hence the time element of the Bye Law.

We have also suffered from anti-social behaviour from certain elements within the cycling and skateboarding community, however the health and safety concern above is the primary reason for the provisions in the Bye Laws. Unfortunately a case of having to legislate for a minority who disrespect other users of the Pier."

Have there been (m)any cases of kids going over the edge?

Hows about doing something about the guys tanking up along side their fishing rods and fecken their cans and litter for the last umpteen years into the sea undeterred. And ye, a little patrolling the 'no go areas' between Teddys and the beginning of the pier would help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

You should have ignored it OP, it seems a terrible shame to ruin your walk for them.

I regularly cycle down the east pier (in a reasonable manner) and never have an issue from anyone.

When they say
    "We have also suffered from anti-social behaviour from certain elements within the cycling and skateboarding community, however the health and safety concern above is the primary reason for the provisions in the Bye Laws. Unfortunately a case of having to legislate for a minority who disrespect other users of the Pier."

I'd be happy to assume they'll use their discretion in the enforcement of the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Chinasea wrote: »
    And ye, a little patrolling the 'no go areas' between Teddys and the beginning of the pier would help too.

Gang of scroates / junkies in their 30's / 40's down there every day with a poor unfortunate dog yelping his head off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AltAccount wrote: »
    I'd be happy to assume they'll use their discretion in the enforcement of the rules.
    Some of these are so the gardai or whoever can point to the sign if theres a gang of people taking over the place. So no smartarse can claim they are not breaking any law.

No cycling is allowed in cabinteely park, but loads of tiny kids cycle there no bother, and so they should.

Jaywalking laws are rarely enforced, same as many laws relating to cyclists. The gardai know fine well what the laws actually set out to prevent, and so use common sense as to when to enforce them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement