Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mattress needed, landlord or me?

Options
  • 23-09-2013 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

As above.

Our matress on the bed now feels like a "bag of lego" to sleep on. My back seems to be strained now due to this. I wanted to find out if it is upto my landlord to provide this or do i have to buy it myself? I checked our rental contract and it just is basically a list of furnishings...

I have no problem purchasing one myself but wanted to check in with you guys first, Is this something that i should ask/bother the landlord about? We have been renting for 3 years never annoy him about anything and the house is always spotless clean. I'm just not sure that this comes under..

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I gather the mattress is the Landlord's?
    Was it in this condition when you moved in? Or has it deteriorated over time?
    If so, I think you've got cause to request a new one.
    Mattresses don't have to be expensive; Bargaintown sell them for around €150 for a double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

fussyonion wrote: »
    I gather the mattress is the Landlord's?
    Was it in this condition when you moved in? Or has it deteriorated over time?
    If so, I think you've got cause to request a new one.
    Mattresses don't have to be expensive; Bargaintown sell them for around €150 for a double.
    Buy a nice one for yourself and shove the old one under the bed till such time you move bringing the good one with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Buy a nice one for yourself and shove the old one under the bed till such time you move bringing the good one with you.

Id be inclined to agree tbh. It is the landlords responsibility to replace the mattress (assuming that it was in the property when you moved in), but to be honest I think Id prefer to have my own mattress. Only real problem is ensuring that you have the right sized bed; you also may need to invest in a bed as there is a fair chance that the mattress wont fit the bed if you move.

When I was renting privately, I did buy my own bed and bed-frame because I needed a good mattress for my bad back.

The way I saw it, it was an investment, so I asked the LL to remove his bed, which he did no problem, I put mine in and when I left, the LL simply brought his back.

My bed came with me to my new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This. Your new mattress may still feel uncomfortable, but if you shop around yourself, you'd find one that would suit yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I do not believe that a mattress is a requirement under any specific legislation related to minimum standards for rented houses, however, if the property was advertised as furnished then a reasonable expectation would be that a mattress is provided. The quality of that mattress needs only be as good as the cheapest crap available in the shop though. Always when renting I had/have my own bed and mattress because I value my spinal chord and hope to have full use of it for a good few years to come. Also, consider the hygiene factor. An average person sweats about a litre of liquid on a relatively warm night which goes onto sheets and mattress. Never mind other nocturnal activities that were clearly evident on some of the mattresses I have seen in rental housing. Your LL may provide a mattress for you (I know I do for my tenants) but I would be surprised if he spent any amount of time researching the merits of one over the other with regard to support, firmness etc.
    When buying a mattress you get what you pay for. If you spend €100 on a double mattress then you are buying rubbish. Buy a decent one €800 plus if you can afford it. You spend 1/3 of your life on it afterall. When you compare this to the time you spend in your car for which you paid multiples of the cost of a top of the range mattress you can hopefully see it makes sense.
    My bed was one of the best investments I have ever made.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I do not believe that a mattress is a requirement under any specific legislation related to minimum standards for rented houses, however, if the property was advertised as furnished then a reasonable expectation would be that a mattress is provided. The quality of that mattress needs only be as good as the cheapest crap available in the shop though. Always when renting I had/have my own bed and mattress because I value my spinal chord and hope to have full use of it for a good few years to come. Also, consider the hygiene factor. An average person sweats about a litre of liquid on a relatively warm night which goes onto sheets and mattress. Never mind other nocturnal activities that were clearly evident on some of the mattresses I have seen in rental housing. Your LL may provide a mattress for you (I know I do for my tenants) but I would be surprised if he spent any amount of time researching the merits of one over the other with regard to support, firmness etc.
    When buying a mattress you get what you pay for. If you spend €100 on a double mattress then you are buying rubbish. Buy a decent one €800 plus if you can afford it. You spend 1/3 of your life on it afterall. When you compare this to the time you spend in your car for which you paid multiples of the cost of a top of the range mattress you can hopefully see it makes sense.

Totally agree.
    I spent €700 on my mattress and it's the best money I ever spent.
    I get night after night of quality sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Always have a good pair of shoes and a good bed because if you're not in one you're in the other

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My LL replaced mine after I'd been there four years and a spring went.

That said, I kinda wish we've paid for it, 'cos we would have got a better quality one. So it really depends on your plans for the future, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Thank for the replys folks :)

Will probably buy a new bed and matress myself then, we only plan on renting another year or so before we buy a place. Good investment it probably is due to the amount of time spent in it... It would need to be replaced with a proper memory foam matress so dont want to can't expect the landlord to provide this, it's not fair on him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Thank for the replys folks :)

Will probably buy a new bed and matress myself then, we only plan on renting another year or so before we buy a place. Good investment it probably is due to the amount of time spent in it... It would need to be replaced with a proper memory foam matress so dont want to can't expect the landlord to provide this, it's not fair on him...

Before you buy, you'd want to check whether the landlord can store the old bed or is happy to have it dumped, if there's no space to store it in your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Yep,, as stated... I would inform the landlord that the bed is in bits,, and you are going to buy a new one yourself.. you can then take it out of the rent.. and send him a copy of the receipt.. Or,, if you want,, I threw out an old couch,, (it smelled like smoke,, I asked first) and bought myself my own one.. I paid for it myself,, and explained that I would be taking it with me If I left the property.. so it depends,, if you are going to splash out and get a good matress,, you can take it with you,, or get a half decent one and charge the landlord.. but obviously leave it in the flat when you move..

Advertisement