Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring to UCD

Options
  • 23-09-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi! :)
    At the moment I'm doing First Year Arts in NUIG and I'm looking to transfer to UCD Psychology for my second year. I got the points for Psychology in UCD this year (It was 515. That's exactly what I got)
    Psychology is one of my subjects in Arts in NUIG and in 1st year all the denominated psychology students and arts psychology students are together for lectures, tutorials etc. So I would be at the same level as a denominated Psychology student in NUIG.
    Does this mean I can transfer into UCD for my second year?
    Thanks Guys!
    Danni :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

I doubt it.

But why don't you actually contact them and find out.

http://www.ucd.ie/psychology/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dannithon

I already called Registration. The woman wasn't particularly helpful :/ she didn't really know. so then I called the actual school of Psychology where they just connected me back to registration...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

It would be best to email them

Helena runs the place

helena.mccann@ucd.ie

ah ok perfect! Thanks a Million!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

@Dannithon, why did you not get UCD this year? Was it after Arts on your CAO?

You'll probably have to re-apply next year.

• Advertisement

yeah I put it after arts... made a huge mistake! I'm paying for it now :L I will re-apply definitely but if there's a chance I wouldn't have to repeat the year I wanna take it... I also might not get in if I re-apply because the points could go up and I just got it on second round offers... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

Similar question, really wanted UCD Law this year, missed it by ten points. I'm doing it in NUIM now but always had my heart set on UCD. I'm contemplating repeating now to get in, but does anyone think I could get in next year if I get good results in my first year here?

As far as I know you can't unless you reapply for the CAO but you're risking the chance of the points going up or staying the same. But check the UCD transfer guidelines and e-mail the school of law and the admissions office because you never know what loopholes there are! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You can transfer from completing 1st year of X defree in a different college to starting 2nd year of X degree in UCD without going through the CAO, provided you have done enough of the material that would have been in first year at UCD.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc#S2

I've emailed the admissions office anyway, just waiting for them to get back, hopefully it's good news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Ugluk

I've emailed the admissions office anyway, just waiting for them to get back, hopefully it's good news

Red, I'm thinking of also trying to transfer from Law in NUIG to Law in UCD, did you hear anything positive from the admissions office?

This was what I got, I left Maynooth at the beginning of October and am now repeating the Leaving Cert:
    Dear Sean

Thank you for your enquiry about transfer to UCD.

Please note that the Transfer Regulations are currently under review. Please check the UCD website regularly for updates: https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc

Currently the requirements are as follows:

Applicants seeking transfer to a degree programme in UCD, having completed one year or more of an Honours degree programme (NQAI level 8) in another Higher Education Institution, should:

· meet the appropriate matriculation and entry requirements of the target class;
    (e.g. for entry to Stage 2 in 2013, they must have the entry requirements and points necessary for admission to Stage 1 in 2012);

· have covered appropriate course-work and passed the relevant examination of the year in their own College

The following link has full details of entry requirements: https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/entry_ug.ezc

Please note that the School of Medicine and Medical Science in University College Dublin will normally consider transfer students to the Medicine degree programme only on humanitarian grounds on a case-by-case basis. Applications should be accompanied by an endorsement from the applicant’s current Dean.

Transfer to UCD is at the discretion of the University, on the basis of availability of places, compatibility of programmes and the applicant’s academic record.

Application should be made online at www.ucd.ie/apply. The application will open in mid-March 2014. The closing date for applications is 1 July 2014.

Applicants must submit with their application a copy of their school-leaving results along with an original official transcript of their results for all years, detailing subjects and examinations passed, of their current/previous studies.

Kind Regards

Emma

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ugluk

This was what I got, I left Maynooth at the beginning of October and am now repeating the Leaving Cert:
    Dear Sean

Thank you for your enquiry about transfer to UCD.

Please note that the Transfer Regulations are currently under review. Please check the UCD website regularly for updates: https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc

Currently the requirements are as follows:

Applicants seeking transfer to a degree programme in UCD, having completed one year or more of an Honours degree programme (NQAI level 8) in another Higher Education Institution, should:

· meet the appropriate matriculation and entry requirements of the target class;
    (e.g. for entry to Stage 2 in 2013, they must have the entry requirements and points necessary for admission to Stage 1 in 2012);

· have covered appropriate course-work and passed the relevant examination of the year in their own College

The following link has full details of entry requirements: https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/entry_ug.ezc

Please note that the School of Medicine and Medical Science in University College Dublin will normally consider transfer students to the Medicine degree programme only on humanitarian grounds on a case-by-case basis. Applications should be accompanied by an endorsement from the applicant’s current Dean.

Transfer to UCD is at the discretion of the University, on the basis of availability of places, compatibility of programmes and the applicant’s academic record.

Application should be made online at www.ucd.ie/apply. The application will open in mid-March 2014. The closing date for applications is 1 July 2014.

Applicants must submit with their application a copy of their school-leaving results along with an original official transcript of their results for all years, detailing subjects and examinations passed, of their current/previous studies.

Kind Regards

Emma

Thank you for your quick reply sean,

Did you reply to that email? I think I might email them about overlooking the entry requirements for good 1st year results. My home address is within a 10 minute walk of the new UCD law building & the arts building and so my parents would be much more comfortable if they didn't have to pay for my accommodation. Don't get me wrong, I love NUIG! Living away from home is fantastic, a real college experience. As there are no electives the course is only 3 years unless you do the BCL International which takes 4. I would definitely recommend putting NUIG on the CAO behind your other law choices. I just think I owe it to my parents to try and move home. Anyway, very brave of you repeating and I hope you get what you want! :)

No I didn't to be honest. I got it when I was still studying Law in Maynooth and in a total panic about what to do. I dunno, maybe you can twist their arm a bit given your circumstances and maybe their new transfer policy after their "review" might work in your favour. Best of luck with it anyway!

Advertisement