Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faas 500 or 300 for DCM13

Options
  • 23-09-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Juast loking for advice on Puma Faas if anyone can help??

I have ran most of this year in Faas 500's(inclding Cork marathon) and have liked them, problem is though because they are relatively light I am going through them very quickly as I use them for most runs including long runs. Just started on my third pair....thankfully got them cheap on the net and living in UK saves a few bob...

Is there any sense to getting a pair of 300's now for DCM13 and using them for the last few LSR's? Are they much dofferent to the 500s?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd say it would be fine. 300 are 8mm drop 500 are 4mm, wouldn't recommend it the other way around but would reckon you'd be find going to the 300.

I think there's less cushioning in the 300 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I'd say it would be fine. 300 are 8mm drop 500 are 4mm, wouldn't recommend it the other way around but would reckon you'd be find going to the 300.

I think there's less cushioning in the 300 though?

cheers - thansk for teh feedback - I have always played safe with shoes..Lunar glides etc. its not too close to DCM to go experimenting? Spose 5 weeks is enough time try them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

300's are much lighter, less cushioning and support - different shoe really.
    Not so sure that heel-toe drop is what RQ says - may depend on which version of the 500s you have.
    Transition with caution only and if you have always played it safe stick with what you know.

dna_leri wrote: »
    300's are much lighter, less cushioning and support - different shoe really.
    Not so sure that heel-toe drop is what RQ says - may depend on which version of the 500s you have.
    Transition with caution only and if you have always played it safe stick with what you know.

the VR2...thansk for that info - I suppose thats what I'm trying to decide - how differrent are they to the 500s they are hard to find in the shops(where I am living now) so would have considered getting them online

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I've seen people in the 300s during the last two DCms, but I wouldn't do it. I find the 300s fine up to a max of 10 miles then things just seem to get sore

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I've seen people in the 300s during the last two DCms, but I wouldn't do it. I find the 300s fine up to a max of 10 miles then things just seem to get sore

Ok thansk - maybe nows not the time so - will try them out after DCM - might get them in for the waterford half instead..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not sure about the weights of the shoes, AFAIK the lower the number with the Faas the lighter and the less cushioning they have like has been mentioned. But I do think the drop is as above.

I personally wouldn't change this close to DCM from what I've done long runs in before, but, if you're used to running in light shoes you'll probably be fine. I wouldn't wear Faas at all like but y'know each to their own. :pac:

The main issue with less cushioning will be the soles of your feet over the long distance...but as I say if you're using light shoes anyway you probably won't notice(until afterwards when you're trying to walk around)

I'm not sure about the weights of the shoes, AFAIK the lower the number with the Faas the lighter and the less cushioning they have like has been mentioned. But I do think the drop is as above.

I personally wouldn't change this close to DCM from what I've done long runs in before, but, if you're used to running in light shoes you'll probably be fine. I wouldn't wear Faas at all like but y'know each to their own. :pac:

The main issue with less cushioning will be the soles of your feet over the long distance...but as I say if you're using light shoes anyway you probably won't notice(until afterwards when you're trying to walk around)

'spose the 500's are the lightest I've worn to date...I really like them..I havent heard much love for them here or anywhere else though I must admit...I'll def stick with the 500's for DCM I think.

Any other recomendations for a cheapish(faas were £51stg online), light(ish) neutral shoe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Rantan wrote: »
    'spose the 500's are the lightest I've worn to date...I really like them..I havent heard much love for them here or anywhere else though I must admit...I'll def stick with the 500's for DCM I think.

Any other recomendations for a cheapish(faas were £51stg online), light(ish) neutral shoe?

Massive difference between both shoes.I would class the 500 as a daily trainer or a lightweight performance shoe(ONE PIECE FOAM)
    RQ i s right about the heel to toe drop but it goes out the window here as the level of cushioning is chalk and cheese.The 300 is a racing flat and very light support.
    Have a few 300's left for €45 pity you ain't in Ireland :p

Massive difference between both shoes.I would class the 500 as a daily trainer or a lightweight performance shoe(ONE PIECE FOAM)
    RQ i s right about the heel to toe drop but it goes out the window here as the level of cushioning is chalk and cheese.The 300 is a racing flat and very light support.
    Have a few 300's left for €45 pity you ain't in Ireland :p

cheers for that - I'm going to stick with the 500's for Dublin, thats if they can hold up for the rest of the month and the last few LSR's - the new pair seem to be wearing a bit quicker than I hoped...I'll prob look at something like the 300's or maybe the Kinvara after DCM.
    ..sorry..complete tangent...I just got a new job at home so moving back in a couple of weeks..so happy as F**k at the mo!!:) would get a pair of 300 at that price if I could get an 11???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Rantan wrote: »

Bought a pair of 500's a couple of years ago and wear them now as glorified slippers or walking the dog around the estate. They really didn't suit me at all running.

Would recommend Asics Cumulus for a light-ish neutral shoe myself - on my 4th or 5th pair of them now. You can probably pick up last seasons model for a similar price to the Pumas

Advertisement